No announcement yet.

Cammershaft suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the cars never ran bank injection. It was always sequential after they went off CFI.

for some reason I'm thinking the trucks had a big oval dish. The cars had a basically flat piston with a small round dish in the center.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alphabet cams are generally thought to be antiquated; but there are still a lot of people that go fast with them. I think they are okay for performance, but shorter on drivability than more modern grinds.

If you are going to run anything other than stock, I'd highly suggest just checking PTV clearance. It is easy to do, and you presumably have the heads off anyway.

Being that you are using a standard and deeper gears, it will be more resilient to street driving with a rowdy idle if you're inclined to go that way.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Would I have to burn the chip if I went with the xe258 cam? If by an off chance I found a partout truck that has the maf eec-iv, then I might just order an a9l computer and go with that instead of carbing it out.

Comment

Not sure about the MAF trucks, but the speed-density ones were batch fire rather than sequential. Don't think those parts are going to do you much good.

I ran my XE-258 un-tuned for a while and it ran OK on a stock A9T. A9T is the computer from a Mustang SSP, only difference from an A9L that we could determine is a little bit more timing. Probably why I've never been able to advance the timing beyond the stock 10 BTDC. It runs better now, but it had no drivability problems or anything else that was forcing me to get it tuned. Power is better now and the fuel economy is up about 1.5 mpg though.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Not sure about the MAF trucks, but the speed-density ones were batch fire rather than sequential. Don't think those parts are going to do you much good.

I ran my XE-258 un-tuned for a while and it ran OK on a stock A9T. A9T is the computer from a Mustang SSP, only difference from an A9L that we could determine is a little bit more timing. Probably why I've never been able to advance the timing beyond the stock 10 BTDC. It runs better now, but it had no drivability problems or anything else that was forcing me to get it tuned. Power is better now and the fuel economy is up about 1.5 mpg though.
            Huh, didn't think the wiring would make that much of a difference if another computer was going to be hooked up. Damn, Im probably going to have to find another grand marq and use the harness out of that and convert it to maf. Are you using the 9l?

Comment

A9T, which is basically the A9P with a little more timing. Identical wiring though. I get the auto and manual ones mixed up. A9P is auto, A9L is manual. They don't really interchange correctly, so you want to match the ECM to the transmission. Something about the neutral safety switch wiring causes trouble. I can never quite remember it, but one is +12v switched, the other is ground switched, and the ECM gets really pissy if you go the wrong way. One way it smokes, the other way you won't get self-test codes.

The car computers have more or less standard wiring until about 1993, the trucks were kind of different though. I don't know the mass air trucks, but you really need to confirm the pinouts on the ECM before mating a harness to a computer. Physically the harness from a box is the easy path just because the connectors are in the right spot.

Comment

I better go with the painless wiring harness then, Im not about to go out and jerry rig a harness to work with strings attached on my first build. I was looking at their instruction manual and they have a guide to properly wire up a clutch safety switch to an A9P. Which models had the A9T, sn95s?

Comment

I think the A9T came on the SSP (police) Mustangs. Here’s a list of the various computers: http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page17.html
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah, SSP ECM. Its a very odd bird. I got it cheap because its not the one that everyone seeks out. Its probably rare, and someone I'm sure would pay me a bunch of money for the magic "cop chip". I find it amusing to own what is probably a rare ECM and use it in something as heretical as a Lincoln Town Car.

What trans are you using, an AOD or a 5 speed? Just pick whatever ECM makes sense for your desired trans. No NSS jiggering required at that point.

SN95 computers involve a lot of wire modifications vs Fox computers. Possible, just annoying. They are cheaper computers though, so if someone makes an aftermaket wiring kit that is pinned for one, that would be a reasonable option.

Comment

yeah, SSP ECM. Its a very odd bird. I got it cheap because its not the one that everyone seeks out. Its probably rare, and someone I'm sure would pay me a bunch of money for the magic "cop chip". I find it amusing to own what is probably a rare ECM and use it in something as heretical as a Lincoln Town Car.

What trans are you using, an AOD or a 5 speed? Just pick whatever ECM makes sense for your desired trans. No NSS jiggering required at that point.

SN95 computers involve a lot of wire modifications vs Fox computers. Possible, just annoying. They are cheaper computers though, so if someone makes an aftermaket wiring kit that is pinned for one, that would be a reasonable option.

A T5 is going in place of the aod, I can't help but be a rabble rouser and shift my own gears. If I ever come across an A9T in a junkyard I'll get it, mostly for shits and giggles. But the differences seem so miniscule for this project, it's not really something Ill chase down.

Comment

gadget73, im just curious on the a9t.. Do you hear any pinging at wot with that build? I wouldn't think you do, since the t's run leaner at wot and you have E7s.. Do you run 89 or have to use 93 gas

Comment

Its been re-tuned so the programming really doesn't play into it anymore. Before that, it was slightly prone to pinging, and if I advanced the timing at all it sounded like 50 paint cans being shaken at once.

Comment

Its been re-tuned so the programming really doesn't play into it anymore. Before that, it was slightly prone to pinging, and if I advanced the timing at all it sounded like 50 paint cans being shaken at once.
                            That must've been lovely to hear. To be safe, Ill stick with the a9l and go from there. Thanks for answering my questions, it's really helped.

Comment

I think it was a bad mix of not quite enough fuel and a little too much timing. Changing either would have made it behave better. Its got larger injectors and more fuel now.

The A9T is an auto trans ECM anyway, so it won't play nice with a 5 speed swap.

Comment

I think it was a bad mix of not quite enough fuel and a little too much timing. Changing either would have made it behave better. Its got larger injectors and more fuel now.

The A9T is an auto trans ECM anyway, so it won't play nice with a 5 speed swap.
                                Oh then i should be fibe with #24 injectors

Comment

Working...
                                X