Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to do valve cover gaskets, Are there any upgrades I should do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with a mill or a lathe can do them. I have done them on my lathe, but Jeff has a mill and a mounting jig that probably makes it a lot easier for him to do the setup.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I don't make a habit of buying cars that sit. We got that thing pretty cheap and the body was clean (rockers and cab corners aside) so I rolled the dice. I expected leaks to spring up and oil consumption to be terrible. But I had the hunch that it might've been an old farm truck that saw mostly interstate/back roads driving due to the deer whistles on the grille, ZERO slop in the steering, minimal interior wear and a trans which shifted much better than mine does. I figure it was probably purchased by an old timer who thought 200k was 100k more than he thought he'd get out of it. And like those Elmer Fuds often do, rather than sell it, he sentenced it to die by parking it somewhere. Dude I bought it from said he got it as a partial trade for some contracting type work. I didn't see any smoke, no blow by from the oil cap, no clatter upon rev and de-rev, throttle body was clean and the valve spring area I could see while peering in the oil cap hole was exceptionally clean. Dice were rolled and so far that thing has been really good to us. Her oil stays cleaner than mine after 3k does...
      Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 01-31-2020, 08:02 AM.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you're looking for a lower mileage 302 I got the one out of my coupe with 89K miles. Didn't burn oil, no knocks. Pulled it out to put 351w in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          JeffBoudah has offered the EGR boring service. He did the one for my car. Shoot him a PM and see if he responds. I’m not sure how often he comes around anymore, but the quality is good and you’re not paying and arm and a leg. I want to say he bores them out on a CNC machine.
          Cool, thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Anyone with a mill or a lathe can do them. I have done them on my lathe, but Jeff has a mill and a mounting jig that probably makes it a lot easier for him to do the setup.
          Really, I hadn't thought of that. We've got one, but right now it's hiding in my shop. Out of sight- out of mind. I forgot I had it in the building. I'd have to make something to mount the spacer in though... that could prove to be interesting.
          1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            If you're looking for a lower mileage 302 I got the one out of my coupe with 89K miles. Didn't burn oil, no knocks. Pulled it out to put 351w in.
            Naw, im not really interested in pulling the engine, and mine's only got like 9k more miles than yours. I thought it seemed abnormal before I did some research but if Ford claimed it is normal, I'm not going to mess around with it. It runs good, gets good mpg seems tight.

So. I was looking at it again today after working on a snowblower this afternoon. Trying to figure out how the hell to get that A/C belt loose... I found out how to get it off and new on. Dumb ass procedure though Old belt was nothing but cracks. Anyways, I found that my power steering box appears to have a leak. It's all wet underneath, but no drips on the floor yet. Looks to be coming from the return line. Simple thing to fix. I noticed something else in the area though that I didn't like. It looks as if my 302 is leaking oil- from the driver side headgasket… Front of the engine, not on the side. Like I said though- it "looks" like that but it wouldn't surprise me if I start pulling accessories off the front of the engine and find that its from the manifold. Luckily, its just seepage, its not draining down the front of the engine. So, I guess I do need to reseal the lower intake manifold. Well, that'll all be a summer job. Good time to do major maintenance, round 2.
            1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
              Cool, thanks for the tip.

Really, I hadn't thought of that. We've got one, but right now it's hiding in my shop. Out of sight- out of mind. I forgot I had it in the building. I'd have to make something to mount the spacer in though... that could prove to be interesting.
              4 jaw independant chuck. Don't need anything special, just have to indicate it in. If you only have a 3 jaw you'd need to make some sort of fixture.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm. Just looked them up. Kind of expensive. I don't think our lathe has any chucks. I don't remember it having any like that when my dad bought it at an auction... Well, I'll figure something out.

Thanks for all the help guy's.

Comment

lathe without a chuck is a nice paperweight at least.

metal lathe, not a wood lathe. Those are useless unless you want to make pretty firewood.

Comment

Working...
                  X