No announcement yet.

LoPo 302, CFI, carb and emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used an edelbrock performer 289 intake and 4bbl carb with vacuum secondaries on an HO motor. should work on a lopo. Kept same fuel system but used fuel pressure regulators to lower the pressure for a carb.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
      That is quite interesting, especially in cost. Also if something is available in stores in Finland, it's GM HEI modules. Supposedly this is more reliable and maybe even better otherwise?
      Probably not a bad idea. No ugly HEI distributor, a blue cap, almost any coil of choice, no ballast stuff and HEI modules aren't as "consumable" as Duraspark modules? Sounds good.
      Does recurving still work as with a purely DS setup?

My choices are open still, but I'm reeeally leaning towards carb, compared to fixing the CFI.
      The motorcraft 2150 is probably a given (if/when I go carb) at this point, well supported, rather inexpensive and can be gotten with the correct linkages already.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I ebay’d my heart out for you a carb last night and didn’t find any affordable ones that were correct... I’ll Let you know if I find one. EBay is like a treasure hunt for me.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          I ebay’d my heart out for you a carb last night and didn’t find any affordable ones that were correct... I’ll Let you know if I find one. EBay is like a treasure hunt for me.
          How nice of you, certainly appreciated. My problem with ebay is that I can't use it well and very often a little thing called "this item does not ship to Finland"

I'm curious, how much is a 2150 you would consider affordable? Since I can't reliably find one in Finland and compared to the prices in other new carbs, the ~250€ in RockAuto doesn't seem that excessive. Even with shipping and VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
            How nice of you, certainly appreciated. My problem with ebay is that I can't use it well and very often a little thing called "this item does not ship to Finland"

I'm curious, how much is a 2150 you would consider affordable? Since I can't reliably find one in Finland and compared to the prices in other new carbs, the ~250€ in RockAuto doesn't seem that excessive. Even with shipping and VAT.
            I’m cheap. $50 max for a good rebuilder. More like $25 lol. I mean it’s a stock 2-bbl carb that people used to throw away by the 100’s in search of that 4-bbl performance. Just gotta find the right one.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Oh okay... Makes sense.

https://www.overdrive.fi/v8-market/p...76685b6b72e2c/
              This looks like a 2150 to me, said to be from some 80's Mustang.
              Does that look like an AOD nub?
              For 70€ and that's like a bit over an hour away from me.

Also found a couple Autoline 2100s. And one seller that has a many parts from 351Ws. AOD mentioned in ad, so might be from an AOD equipped one.
              Last edited by Arquemann; 02-04-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Negative on the AOD linkage on that one. The AOD one rides right behind the throttle lever with a small screw adjustment on the top that touches the throttle lever at all times (when installed). The screw and lever is much smaller than the “normal” automatic lever.

You can make something that works with your existing rod. Find a spot on the throttle linkage that, when the throttle opens, corresponds to the full travel of the TV rod. Then fab up something to hold the rod there. This guy did it but he was using a cable. http://perichbrothers.blogspot.com/2...paste.html?m=1

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

In a sense the AOD rod is easier to hook up, it only needs to attach to the throttle linkage a certain distance from the axis, to ensure full travel.
                  I can't fab anything though, especially something that small and precise.

Comment

Now that I'm sick, I've "got time" to browse this stuff.
                    I found this site:
                    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#&gid=1&pid=6
                    Interestingly it says that fuel injection uses a TV cable, even though most CFI systems I've seen use the rod.
                    It clearly states that the correct linkage for a TV rod looks like this:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	643419508_o_zps8hsqlchc_acfc6458c8777ffa50d06b6399337a8b556db39d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1286537

Based on that:
                    ('80 T-Bird) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...140017&jsn=474
                    ('82 F150/Bronco) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...121296&jsn=473
                    I'm not sure if I can trust the images on RA, can any of you vouch for them?

So now I atleast can reference something and verify the correct linkage.

Comment

All three pics correct!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

yeah thats the rod hookup. The only carb cable rig I know of was the 91, or possibly 90-91 Vic with a 351. That ran a Variable Venturi carb and used a TV cable. Maybe the trucks ran cables though, not sure.

if they did, I don't see why you couldn't adapt a truck TV cable, but you'd need the cable, the carb it mates to, and probably the stuff down at the transmission to attach the cable. Guessing it will have a bracket and probably a different lever.

There is the Lokar stuff, but that also involves a bracket and changing the lever, and honestly I find those to be fairly crap quality. Its the common practical option, especially for 4bbl swaps, but I still don't love it.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as my '85 Vic still has the CFI that I'd like to convert at some point. It's still functional but given it's 35 years old it could take a dump at any time. I've been looking at those carbs on rock auto. The part numbers are different depending upon if it's a T-bird or F-150. Different years of the same model also result in different part numbers. Is one carb preferable over another? I looked at the pictures and some of the external connection ports are different. The most noticeable is the fuel bowl vent. Is this the only difference or would the jetting be different from a car to a truck?

Comment

Jets are easily changed and readily available. Should use the same kind as older Autolite 2100/4100 carbs. Can’t see the bore size on all of them, but the ones I could see were all 1.08 - which is small. Awesome cruise behavior but gives up a little on the top end. The booster assembly is also potentially unique to the application.

I think the F-150 version has a provision for the PCV hose. The T-Bird must have had that in the carb spacer. Not sure where the PCV goes on a stock CFI, but I would try for the same setup with the carb to minimize expense.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

as anemic as the rest of the engine is, I doubt you'd really notice any performance hit from the 2100 vs the stock CFI.

I don't remember where the PCV line goes either. The spacer is for EGR, and not all of them had one. Forget which is which, but there is an aluminum intake and an iron intake. One has the EGR on the spacer, the other has it cast into the manifold. For some reason I'm thinking PCV goes to a fitting on the intake, but its been a good while since I really looked at a CFI car.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can't remember where the PCV on mine goes either lol. I haven't looked under the hood in two months or so since the car is put away for the season. I'll go take a look and pick the carb that fits the closest. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start my own when I get my parts and pieces together since mine will be a little more involved than Arquemann's. I'd like to keep my charcoal canister purge and EGR if possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X