headlights 85 police pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlights 85 police pack

I have an 85 ltd crown victoria with the police pack and have been getting it back on the road after sitting for 15 years. Tonight I just put all new headlights in it. The low beams work great. If i put the high beams on, only the driver side lights light up. It was getting dark so i didn't track any wires down. Just wanted some opinions on where to look tomorrow. I sure would appreciate it. Love these old boxes.

I'd start by putting a meter on the wire connection to the headlight and see if it has power. Could just be a corroded connection. Had that issue on my 84 one time and after I cleaned up the connector everything worked properly. Just something simple to check before going down the rabbit hole of the wiring diagram.

Since it was sitting so long maybe a critter got to the wiring.

Glad to hear someone is bringing back another box body. My 84 is still in the garage patiently waiting for its time to return.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

crusty connections would be my vote as well. Not much to the system really. All 4 should light in high beam, just 2 in low. If the connectors are crusty or if the ground is off it will do various other stupid things. Ground is the black wire, should land somewhere on the rad support in the general area of the headlamp.

If all that is good, the lighting stuff runs through a large connector on the driver's side near the washer bottle. I think its a white plug. Make sure nothing in there is melted or crusty.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also if you have power & ground at the problem bulb, check the bulb even though it is new.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
        X