No announcement yet.

Steering pump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was surprised by how quickly I got it all back together. Really taking the fan and shroud off took no time too. I’m just stubborn lol.

Now thats over onto the next project, cleaning up the paint and interior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A good puller really makes the job less hateful too. I tried to rent one and it was broken. Bought one at the parts store that was so badly made it wouldn't grab anything. Bought myself a nice Lisle puller/installer and that works like you'd expect. One of those tools I figured I'd use once, but I've used it probably a half dozen times now.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got one off the shelf from Autozone and it worked like it should. I had to run back to rent another one but I later found out the installer piece I thought I didn’t have I actually did...

Comment

the threads on the one from Advance were no longer there. I'm guessing some idiot cross-threaded it, or just reefed on it with an impact until it gave up.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats what I was afraid of but luckily I couldnt get an impact in there or else I’d probably do the same lol.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              the threads on the one from Advance were no longer there. I'm guessing some idiot cross-threaded it, or just reefed on it with an impact until it gave up.
              That's what happened to me when I changed the one on the 93 recently. I took it to my grinder and removed the stripped section and used what was left of the threads to do the job. Worked out for me and AZ has a usable tool again. The next time someone impacts one of those on and strips it all out though, it's done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well don't feel bad, my pump puked out the seal last year, was gushing so bad i had a shop haul it off on a flatbed. Triple-A covered the tow but $350 later i had a new pump in there. All for a seal that would probably cost around 5 bucks but with my back and neck need to pay the big bucks and let the pros deal with it... although the actual workers are a rotating staff of kids right out of high school, or so it seems... my car life is a never-ending bitch session of inspecting overpriced, half-baked work on the heavy lifting, then going in after the "experts" to tighten things up, usually in the middle of winter on an icy driveway.

oh the final insult of the whole deal: the new steering gear (rebuilt from mexico or someplace) somehow isn't as buttery-smooth-turning as the original factory one...
                96 MGM
                sigpic
                Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

I read numerous threads where people claim the rebuilt steering gears are really just cleaned and resealed. It seems no one really replaces the gears even though thats the real wear component of the part. When I had my 98 p71 I skipped getting a rebuilt one and got one out of a grand marquis (the ratio is different but wasn’t really noticable) and all was well. And it was less than 100 bucks.

Comment

The one in my car came from a super low mileage wrecked P71 that Scott picked up somewhere. The way it drives vs other cars I've driven with the "same" reman box is very different.

Comment

Working...
                    X