Steering pump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering pump removal

I didn’t know where to put this so here it goes. I’m swapping out my old leaking power steering pump on my 87 mgm but I ran into an issue. The top bolt came out fine but I can’t get the other two. I figured I could back them out enough to pull the pump forward and get them the rest of the way but I can see now thats not possible. So now I took off the fan shroud and moved it to the side to get the pulley puller on it. Now the issue is that I can’t get enough torque on it to free the pulley. Is there another way of doing this or will I have to pull the fan and shroud and try to get an impact on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might try some oil, but those pullies are pretty tight. Impact should not be needed but you may need a 1/2" ratchet for leverage. Might also be worth trying to wire brush right at the end of the pump shaft. if it has a small band of rust and crap it will be much harder to remove. Might help to try pushing the pulley on a tiny bit further, cleaning, then pulling it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Comment

Finally got the damn pulley off

Now I can’t get the stupid lines off but I think I’ll get new ones just for good measure anyway.

Comment

You really did it the hard way. I struggled with fan and fan shroud removed. You are a glutton for punishment. Nice work!
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Haha thanks! Yeah I know but I didn’t want to remove the fan for the billionth time. Oh well I got it. On a side note my back is killing me from being hunched over the fender. I wish it was a truck with a lot of room for an impact driver.

Comment

For the return line, just cut it. The rubber turns rock hard and you're more likely to break the tit on the pump than to get that line off. Replace it with bulk trans cooler hose. If yours is a factory one that is crimped instead of clamped at the steering box end, just cut the crimp off and clamp it.

and yeah I kinda forgot how tight the PS pump is into the fan shroud on these. I'm guessing I at least pulled the shroud out of my way when I did it on the Towncar. been a while. The Conti is actually quite forgiving in that regard. the PS pump is right on top and the fan shroud is offset to the side so I've got pretty good access.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I take the pump and bracket off as a whole and separate the two while off the car.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

possible I did that too. Honestly I don't remember at this point but I don't remember fighting with the fan shroud. That bracket comes off without too much fuss. Pull the alternator, the long bolts into the head, and a couple nuts off the water pump and it will come away.

Comment

I’ll go that route then. They aren’t factory, my buddy replaced them when one of the lines blew when he owned it.

Comment

Not having a box any more (and e-fan swapped mine anyhow) I also forgot how tight that crap is in there. Stupid easy to get at on the Aeros and whales.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I miss my old whale but its nice having a good ol’ box with a pushrod. To be honest I’m a big 4.6 guy but I have a soft spot for small blocks.

Comment

need you a diesel powered Fox. I put the pump back on in about 30 minutes. Get to to it again tomorrow because I completely failed at rebuilding the pump.

Comment

Finally got it all back together, it only took half of forever lol. Taking the fan and shroud off helped a lot I only wish I wasn’t so stubborn and took it off sooner lol. Anyway no more leaks, no noise and both belts seem to be holding up fine, even my stupid ac belt but only time will tell.

Comment

nice. Sometime more disassembly actually saves you time in the long run.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X