No announcement yet.

My '69 Mercury Montego Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks fellas. I'll be in touch with Stan again soon, and if there's an interest in a group purchase of a specific panther header, I'll let him know.
    I'll be asking him if he can pull it off. Even a Tri-Y. Something. Any ideas of perfect primary size or any other specifics.?
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

So...
      I talked to Stan at FPA about headers. He's really not in a position currently to try to develop one for our panthers YET. Maybe next year.

Update on my Merc.
      Got it together. Not sure how to post a video here. Any advice.?
      It hasn't gotten the exhaust that I've planned for yet because Coronavirus..
      Soon. 2-1/2" and Magnaflows coming out behind the tire as it always was. Nobody around here will bend 3 inch.
      So currently it has 2 pieces of 2-1/2" flex pipe connecting the collectors to the old exhaust.
      It runs. There's no choke provisions on this carb, so it's a pain in the ass to get heat in. Once she's warm and happy it is more than I thought it would be.
      After heating the tires a little a few times and going for a nice launch, it gives me the willys. Wide eyes and white knuckles on full giddyup.
      If I'm easy into it and roll it on, it want's to break loose going past 3800...
      The converter stall is too high for my liking. I think that's going to get lowered to 2400 to 2800.
      The thing flashes at 4K.
      So that's where I'm at.
      Last edited by clutch47; 12-11-2020, 11:28 AM.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

You would need to upload the video to youtube or similar to act as a host. This site only hosts photos to my knowledge.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Wanted to start the season with fresh plugs. These Autolites were still in there from the Dyno and initial start-up after being fogged with marvel mystery oil for storage. They look pretty damn good to me.
            Remind yourself again why big hands and shock towers add up to fun X 8.. DEFINITELY glad I bought SCOTT plug wires.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Merc plugs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1288776
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Merc went to my friends transmission shop for a converter and valve body swap.
              3300 stall out, 2400 stall in.
              Didn't get to drive it before it went on the rollback to a friend of a friends exhaust shop 3 towns over.
              Going from 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" with Magnaflows. Brand new pipe bender with new mandrels should make a nice exhaust. We're adding an H or an X to it wherever it fits best. There is a sweet spot that lines up with the body and trans mount, so it'll likely be there.
              The guy doing this exhaust has been doing FORDS for 40 years, and just finished his '64 comet with a 445" 385 series with a pile of go fast parts.
              Man, those big blocks make ridiculous power and rev like nothing else. Canted valve heads for the win.
              The 2-1/4 mufflers on the Merc are vintage Lakewood welded mufflers from about 1982. I'm going to save them. Really cool pieces, just way too restrictive for this build. Hoping to have it home for next weekend so I can enjoy some time in the '70 Mach one buckets I put in there. We'll see...
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Little update on the Merc.
                A couple vacuum leaks chased down and it's really coming together. Here's some exhaust shots of the Magnaflows, the X and how it all came together.

Name:	X at trans.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1289273

Lucas liked this X better than the ones he makes for this install, so he went with it. I'm happy. LOTS of clearance.

Name:	X and mufflers.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1289274

A decent shot of how it all came together. I'll get tailpipe pix this weekend, and I'm going to try to get a video on Rumble and see if it will work on here.

Name:	Tight tire clearance.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1289275

275/60-15s on an 8 inch Cragar with 4.25 inches of Backspace. I dunno if I can get more in there. It doesn't rub at all...so I think I'll leave it alone.

So that's where I'm at with this car.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Interested to see how the x sounds. Looks good.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Rebuilt the rear end. The original clutches were so shot.. 8 inch rears were common, but the equa-loc slip units aren't.
                    It works well now. New 3.55 Motive ring and pinion gears, carrier and pinion bearings, wheel bearings, seals, and new 75/90 with stench modifier.
                    The next time I get to my friends shop with the outdoor lift, it'll get the pressure washer and scuff pad scrub and a coat of paint.
                    I can't see the reason to upgrade to the 9 inch when I run street tires.

Name:	Rear 3.55s.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1289284
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

"..stench modifier.."
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        "..stench modifier.."
                        +1

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So I tried uploading a video to youtube.
                          No idea if I did it right or if it will work for you, but here goes.
                          My Merc this morning. https://youtu.be/7Vp_e8ZLRfw
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

The video looks good. That is a sharp paint job ! I have not seen a Montego MX in many years. Very sharp car.

Comment

Awesome. Nice garage too!
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sounds like a race Merc. I approve it's message.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X