PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My '69 Mercury Montego Convertible

Default My '69 Mercury Montego Convertible

I've been here for a while now and thought I'd throw a few shots of my Merc on here. Originally a 302 2bbl/C4 car.
    I bought it out from under a bush about 10 years ago. It had been the victim of an interior fire caused by an errant cigar lighter popping out of the dash, rolling under the seat and it burned from the center of the front bench outwards. I'll put pix of it as it was in a later post.
    Here's where it's at today.
    6 and 8 inch Cragars with 225 and 275 15's on it in this picture. Recognize the wheels in the other shots.? They are on my '86 CV Sherrie now.
    Here's some pix.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	846.2 KB 
ID:	53545

Name:	7-30.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	918.1 KB 
ID:	53548

Name:	Pavilion1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	53546

Name:	Pavilion.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	53547
    It's gotten a driveline update in the works.
    Right now a TCI streetfighter C6 that has been rollerized.
    Built a 393 4V Closed Chamber iron head Cleveland that's going in VERY soon.
    Here's a few pix of the Cleveland.

Name:	Block  393C.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	53549
    block

Name:	Almost ready for heat.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	53550

Name:	Heads Finished.jpg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	53551
    Full Roller

Name:	Pistons and rods 393C.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	53552
    Forged

Name:	Cleveland Cam Card.jpeg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	53553
    Cam Card

More to follow soon. I'm pretty amped over this car..
    All FORD All The Time

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

That's a friggin' beauty and i love that you went stroker clevo. Pretty sweet man.

That thing be sexy sir. Ver' nice.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Nice ride.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Thanks Ya'll
    I always wanted to have a real Cleveland built properly.
    So not being a big fan of the aftermarket in general, I stayed as close to all FORD as I could.
    It took 2 years of learning and research to figure out I wanted to go that far with this engine.
    Idea being do it right, do it once. Do it cheap, do it again and again.
    So we bushed the lifter bores and went deep into oiling and freeing up the power that is there.
    It made 430 to 460 tq from 3500 to about 6300. So, I'm looking forward to that kind of thrust.
    Tq curve flat enough to sit your coffee on according to the engine Sen-Sei I learned from.
    Just shy of 500 hp on a very conservative dyno calibrated for 8 and 9 thousand RPM dirt track engines making 800+..
    Now hopefully I can learn how to drive it...LOL..
    All FORD All The Time

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

Very neat car; not often seen either, which is extra cool. Not enough people build Clevelands; I'm all for any type of Ford build, but the world is inundated with 385 series, SBF, and even FE builds.

The first thing I thought was... I hope he's not putting that in front of the existing C4... and then I re-read.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Cruiser
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0, 6 spd, 3.73s; 17K miles Cruiser
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

Quote Originally Posted by P72Ford View Post
    Very neat car; not often seen either, which is extra cool. Thanks. Not often does a car speak to me immediately. This one did. Not enough people build Clevelands; I'm all for any type of Ford build, but the world is inundated with 385 series, SBF, and even FE builds. I TOTALLY agree with this. The 335 engines are seriously misunderstood and mysterious to many

The first thing I thought was... I hope he's not putting that in front of the existing C4... and then I re-read.
    Nope. That early C4 would have grenaded quickly. I scored the C6 on a swap and since it literally cost me nothing, I decided to go in it deep with roller planetaries and whatever my local transmission guy thought would free up the known C6 power sucking issues along with longevity/strengthening. I'm learning about driveshafts now...that's next.
    All FORD All The Time

More pix for your visual stimulation..

Name:	Day 1.jpg 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	53555
    The way I found the car. Wide open to the elements. No top or guts from the fire. Not running.

Name:	Rear Bow.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	53556
    The rear Bow of the top. A critical measurement in fitting a top. I never put a top on from nothing before. Most top replacements give you the old top to kinda go by. I had Jack-Squat. You can see the burned wiring harness laying there. I ended up making a new one myself. Nobody makes restoration parts for this obscure car. You have to bastardize Torino parts. They sometimes just don't work..

Name:	drivers rear quarter.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	53557

After I got the top on. I let it sit in the sun for a few days and then used a hair dryer to get most of the waves out of the C-pillar.

Name:	Drivers Rear quarter now.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	53558

With big and littles and window tint after I got it running. My friend bent exhaust for it. I like where it came out sneaky behind the tire.

Name:	90mph at 3 grand.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	53559

I cut an old tach I had into the dash where the blank was taking up the space a clock would have been if the buyer had wanted it.
    It ran OK. Enemic 302 with an Autolite 2bbl and serious airplane gears. 90 miles an hour just breaking 3K rpms. I thought it was funny.

Name:	Me and Mom at The Green crop.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	53560

I drove the shit out of it for years. Took it up to see my Mom one day and took her out for ice cream. She had a blast. I did too.

Name:	20170531_182715.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	53561

Found a blue seat out of a Fairlane. It fit. I'm still running it. Slowly re-did the inside one piece at a time. It's going to get Mach-One buckets this spring.

Name:	20190622_194838.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	53562

Door panel dye job. From 70's FORD Ivy Green to Plain old Black.

Name:	20170701_160847.jpg 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	53563

Dumped the original drums that I drove on for a year or two when I went to coil-overs. Re-Built the whole front end with a TCI poly kit, and a big sway bar.
    Now it goes around corners flat and really stops well. The manual Shelby 4 pistons are easy, effective, and all Ford. I've always liked manual discs better.

Name:	20170813_150432-1.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	53564

Label in the glove box. Car was originally Ivy Gold. Can you imagine a 3600lb car on F-70-14 bis-ply tires WITH A 428 CJ and a 4 speed.?
    No wonder they all got smashed to hell. There's no way they hooked up that kind of torque. I'm sure glad tire technology has improved.

More soon. Enjoy.
    All FORD All The Time

Beautiful car, I have a soft spot for big two door Mercury's.

Glad you're keeping it Ford as much as possible.

That stroker cleveland is gonna make it a beast!
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers,
    Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, SVE Wheels, ET Streets, 3.55 Gear

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Nice. Was this someone else's resto project when it caught fire? Looks like it was still in pretty good shape even after the fire. Not all rusty like they get.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Glad you were able to save it before the elements too their toll. Wouldn’t have taken long with the top gone.

My grandma has a 69 Fairlane 500 fastback she bought new. It’s the 302/3-speed. Room for 6 inside, but still good MPG and easy to park. Also has freeway gears. I like them. It’s fun running the fast lane on the interstate and passing all the little new sedans that are maxing out their 4 banger on the mountain grades.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

2 previous owners prior did a $5 color change with Enamel and a really shitty amateur resto. It's easily 3/32' thick in a few places and cracked everywhere.
    The way the story goes, dude smoked cigars. So he's all happy with his car BEFORE he got a tag and insurance. Goes for a drive.
    Comes home, pulls in the garage and lets it idle while he lights his stogie. ..puts the lighter back in the socket and pushes it in all the way.
    Shuts off the car, goes in the house. Smells smoke comes out to see his car on fire inside.
    Grabs a garden hose and puts it out through the melted top. The center of the seat was really burned and caught the carpet too.
    So dude calls every insurance company he can find. Homeowners, car, etc. Gets no rhythm. He's pissed..
    ...SO HE KEYED EVERY PANEL..and puts in a claim to his homeowners for a break-in vandalization claim.
    Insurance company denies the claim...he's pissed X2 and sells the non-running, burned, keyed car for $1K.
    Goes through another owner to the place you see in the picture.
    Last owner was smart enough to pull all the body plugs and strip everything out of it... and then I got it.
    The thing loves me. I treat it right and give it pats on the back regularly.
    The paint is TERRIBLE. I didn't know what to do with it..it was that bad.
    So I bought a cheap *electric* random orbital sander, some 1500 paper and a spray bottle. Fuck it right.?
    I went too far on the sides so it's into the gray primer a little. Kinda like a cloud effect.
    I've compounded it about 5 times. No wax. Just compound under a polisher. It's a decent 20 footer..LOL.

Here's a funny one. A few buddies and I went to the East Coast Gasser reunion/Nostalgia drags at Beaver springs dragway near me.
    Instead of parking across the bean field, My buddy Jim coerced me into entering the show for $6 so we could park close.
    An hour later some fella comes up and says "You really should register for the show".. So I did.
    2nd place Mercury (out of 2)..LOL.. So we drove down the dragstrip TOTALLY BLOWN OUT. Laughed our nuts off...

Name:	breaver springs 2.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	53565

2 of my buddies and what ended up to be 74 empty cans in the trunk the next day.

Name:	Merc at Beaver.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	53566

Yeah. LOADED. Fun...
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Glad you were able to save it before the elements too their toll. Wouldn’t have taken long with the top gone.

My grandma has a 69 Fairlane 500 fastback she bought new. It’s the 302/3-speed. Room for 6 inside, but still good MPG and easy to park. Also has freeway gears. I like them. It’s fun running the fast lane on the interstate and passing all the little new sedans that are maxing out their 4 banger on the mountain grades.
    I'd love to see a few pix of that sweetheart. 302/3-speed. Coolness.. Maybe a shot of Grandma driving it.? NOTHING better...
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    I'd love to see a few pix of that sweetheart. 302/3-speed. Coolness.. Maybe a shot of Grandma driving it.? NOTHING better...
    My dad *suggested* she quit driving it about ten years ago... manual drum brakes and a tailgate/late minute brake prone grandma. She’s 90 this year. She’s a firecracker though.

Your paint looks really good in the pics. But sounds like you don’t have to worry about rock chips.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Rock chips. Nah. I 'wash' the car with spray-way glass cleaner. When it's time to do the body and paint.. I'll take good care of it.
    I'm hesitant to make it too nice actually. I like the hellraiser look and not giving an actual shite if it rains. Makes running the car often that much more fun.
    While finding the block for Sherries engine, I think I found a '68 Torino 9 inch rear housing. I'll know in a week or two when the owner digs it out.
    If so, I'll build a decent 9 inch to replace the 8 inch in it. Should bolt right in. Melikes bolt-in OEM FoMoCo parts.
    All FORD All The Time

That's why I love shitty paint, you don't have to worry. It looks very presentable as it is. Although that Fury I had was the same way, pics looked great but in person it was raggedy. I think VicCrownVic is the only member here who can attest to that. Sold that thing a few years ago.

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Looks good to me.

My new neighbor and her visiting sister (in their 60s-70s) this past year commented on how cool they thought my cars were. (I talk to them often, they're pretty cool.) I asked them something along the lines of "are you sure we're looking at the same car?" lol
    A couple weeks after this I saw a car (don't remember what it was) from the late 40s or early 50s with rotted out fenders and such, I thought it was cool. It really reminded me of The Ice Car, rotted out but still rockin'. Then it dawned on me, that's what the neighbor was saying. I don't thinks my cars are cool because I know all the problems, but as she looks at it she thinks it is cool because she never sees these cars anymore. That's how I felt looking at that old 40s-50s car, regardless of how the owner felt about it.

Same with the Fury. Don't think I've seen another one ever so all the issues you were painfully aware of were overshadowed in my mind by the fact that I've never seen another one.

Clutch, like the guy with the 40s-50s car that I saw, you're doing what the car was made for: to be driven. No care about what other people think, because what they think doesn't matter. Although I do think your '69 Montego is cool.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Thanks fellas. I do run it's nuts off. I have a feeling this Cleveland is going to put some manners on me. I never had a street car with this much juice.

I belong to a Car/Motorcycle club and there's a few cool bikes and cars in our extended family.
    I'll post up a few here as I find the pix..
    Here's one

Name:	teddystruck.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	53577

My longtime friend Teddys only FORD. He's a Brand-X guy..
    This was too gorgeous to pass up. 302 C4. STUPID burn-outs.

Name:	IMG00001.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	372.7 KB 
ID:	53578

My 93 Mark VIII. I miss that car. Built a bike for a guy and right at the end he ran outta cash. So.. I got a Lincoln.
    Stupid burn outs too..

More soon.
    All FORD All The Time

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Mark VIII's were neat. Headlights kinda blew though.

Perfect paint is over-rated. I had a car with perfect paint for a limited time. Someone backed into it and stoved in the door and fender. Then I had a wheel come off because I'm stupid. All on the same side of the car. The Continental has completely fucked paint, and I really don't care. I can just drive it. If it gets a door ding, so what? I draw the line at salt for rust reasons, but otherwise I don't mind driving it. The Towncar, despite one side being f'd, doesn't get driven in the rain. its black. Too much of a PITA to keep it clean.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I've been starting to try and warm up to the Mark VIII. It's got too many valves and camshafts though so I'm shy. The '97-'98's didn't have the headlight issues but I've heard if you get one with HID's then that solves the night vision issue. I do prefer the early style, would like me a '96 I think in a wacky color combo. As long as the interior is anything but grey or black. Heard they're pretty fast. I dunno, the Town Car is comfy and great on road trips plus all kinds of people can fit in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast