No announcement yet.

My '69 Mercury Montego Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I love shitty paint, you don't have to worry. It looks very presentable as it is. Although that Fury I had was the same way, pics looked great but in person it was raggedy. I think VicCrownVic is the only member here who can attest to that. Sold that thing a few years ago.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Looks good to me.

My new neighbor and her visiting sister (in their 60s-70s) this past year commented on how cool they thought my cars were. (I talk to them often, they're pretty cool.) I asked them something along the lines of "are you sure we're looking at the same car?" lol
      A couple weeks after this I saw a car (don't remember what it was) from the late 40s or early 50s with rotted out fenders and such, I thought it was cool. It really reminded me of The Ice Car, rotted out but still rockin'. Then it dawned on me, that's what the neighbor was saying. I don't thinks my cars are cool because I know all the problems, but as she looks at it she thinks it is cool because she never sees these cars anymore. That's how I felt looking at that old 40s-50s car, regardless of how the owner felt about it.

Same with the Fury. Don't think I've seen another one ever so all the issues you were painfully aware of were overshadowed in my mind by the fact that I've never seen another one.

Clutch, like the guy with the 40s-50s car that I saw, you're doing what the car was made for: to be driven. No care about what other people think, because what they think doesn't matter. Although I do think your '69 Montego is cool.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks fellas. I do run it's nuts off. I have a feeling this Cleveland is going to put some manners on me. I never had a street car with this much juice.

I belong to a Car/Motorcycle club and there's a few cool bikes and cars in our extended family.
        I'll post up a few here as I find the pix..
        Here's one
        Click image for larger version

Name:	teddystruck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1286551

My longtime friend Teddys only FORD. He's a Brand-X guy..
        This was too gorgeous to pass up. 302 C4. STUPID burn-outs.

Name:	IMG00001.JPG
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	1286552

My 93 Mark VIII. I miss that car. Built a bike for a guy and right at the end he ran outta cash. So.. I got a Lincoln.
        Stupid burn outs too..

More soon.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Mark VIII's were neat. Headlights kinda blew though.

Perfect paint is over-rated. I had a car with perfect paint for a limited time. Someone backed into it and stoved in the door and fender. Then I had a wheel come off because I'm stupid. All on the same side of the car. The Continental has completely fucked paint, and I really don't care. I can just drive it. If it gets a door ding, so what? I draw the line at salt for rust reasons, but otherwise I don't mind driving it. The Towncar, despite one side being f'd, doesn't get driven in the rain. its black. Too much of a PITA to keep it clean.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've been starting to try and warm up to the Mark VIII. It's got too many valves and camshafts though so I'm shy. The '97-'98's didn't have the headlight issues but I've heard if you get one with HID's then that solves the night vision issue. I do prefer the early style, would like me a '96 I think in a wacky color combo. As long as the interior is anything but grey or black. Heard they're pretty fast. I dunno, the Town Car is comfy and great on road trips plus all kinds of people can fit in it.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Nice car and pickup. Looks like a pretty big cam and pretty short skirts on those pistons.
              There's a 69 convertible for sale for a while near me, guy leaves it out year-round on Rt1 heading Downeast. side of the road flipper type guy. Car has a new white top, or it was new. body flat black with all the trim off, no interior, said he had all the parts and a good-running 302. was asking 2k, seemed like a decent price, i wanted his 68 firebird, also with bad paint but too much rust and he wanted 10k for the Pontiac...
              96 MGM
              sigpic
              Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

The headlights did SUCK until I found some from a '95. Same housing but HID. They did very well considering.
                Fast.. yes it was. I think they were rated at 280hp new. I gutted the cats and got more air to it with a cold air kit bastardized from a caprice.
                The tranny gave up OD, so trans guy down the street did his magic. I shit you not...full pedal from a stop (gently) and shifting it to 2nd right at 55mph, it'd spin both tires about 5 feet. Got hairy a few times. I toured with a band for a bit and drove it to Florida for spring break in Panama City. Gave me 32 down following the bus, and 29 coming home.
                Rode like a dream. Black guts and really comfortable. I swapped it for Harley parts. I'd love to have another one.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Picked up a set of original '70 Mach-One buckets in black with original tracks. ..
                  I've gotta have something to do until Sherries 347 comes together.
                  So.. Looks like it'll be taking the bench out of the Merc and getting these buckets in properly.
                  This era of Fords used little stamped sheet metal risers in the front on the outside and a center hump supplemental support to get the seats to sit correctly and I'm thinking to mount a console. All hidden under the carpet.
                  I think I'll do it my way. WTH right.? It'll never be seen, so I'm going with what I have on hand.
                  I'll shoot a couple pix and share when I can.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

FINALLY got the 302 out of my Merc..to make room for this 393 Cleveland.

Name:	Resized_20200718_180920.jpeg
Size:	874.1 KB
ID:	1287239

Put the pressure washer to work.

Name:	Resized_20200718_180903.jpeg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1287240

another

Name:	Resized_20200718_180849.jpeg
Size:	972.3 KB
ID:	1287241

Soon..... I'm pretty damn excited.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Looking good. Is that sway bar stock? Looks bigger than what I would have figured.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Looking good. Is that sway bar stock? Looks bigger than what I would have figured.
                        Thanks. She's come a long way...and is nothing more than a fun driver.
                        No, that sway it WAY bigger than FoMoCo offered in '69...LOL
                        It's from PST. I offed the original stuff and went to poly with coilovers… heavier lower control arms and a bigger sway.
                        It is my concern currently because of the Canton roadrace pan I put on this engine.
                        I sent pix to Canton with measurements and they said it'll fit with stock motor mounts.
                        I've been measuring and sweating it out. I'll have a half an inch I THINK...!!(?)!!!!
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Motor in. Canton pan is 1/2" from the sway bar as I had hoped. Now for wiring, fueling, and cooling. ALMOST THERE..
                          Got the headers in. Some REALLY nice pieces from FPA http://www.fordpowertrain.com/
                          Stan the owner and chief cook and bottlewasher is a hoot to talk to and delivered everything as he advertises.
                          1-7/8" primaries with 3/8" flanges. Ceramic coated inside and out.
                          3-1/2" ball socket collectors, and correctly fitted pieces to weld to when it comes time to fab the exhaust.
                          Drop bracket for power assist ram. NICE stuff.
                          NICE bolts, gaskets, everything.
                          Most importantly, they fit perfectly.
                          I'm blown away. Pix to follow.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Drivers header

Name:	Drivers header 1.jpeg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1287358

Name:	Drivers header Flange.jpeg
Size:	924.1 KB
ID:	1287359

Name:	Drivers header Flange inside.jpeg
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1287360

Top side

Name:	Drivers header top.jpeg
Size:	957.9 KB
ID:	1287361

Name:	Passenger header top.jpeg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1287362

Underside

Name:	Bottom clearance.jpeg
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	1287363

Name:	Drivers header.jpeg
Size:	937.0 KB
ID:	1287364

Name:	Passenger header.jpeg
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	1287365
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

That’s got to be the best fitting header I have ever seen.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                                That’s got to be the best fitting header I have ever seen.
                                I thought this exactly... then I realized it was his 69 Mercury and not a panther. Still... very nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X