Computer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer questions

Would a computer from a ‘99 CVPI work plug and play in an ‘03 grand marquis? Assuming that I take the 140mph cluster also? I have a 120mph cluster but have changed my rear end from a 2.72 open to a 3.55 lsd and my current speedo is fast by 16% and predator says they don’t make a tuner for anything older than the 05 grand marquis so I can’t just get a tuner and mess with it myself.

The cars are functionally the same as far as I can tell. I don’t know about the harness but all the same things are in all the same places.

Short answer is no. There’s a lot that changed between those model years.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Tuners exist for older than 05. I know multiple people personally who have cars in that range who have fixed their speedometers with available OBD2 plug-in tuners. Unfortunately I don't know what brand but they're out there. Check with the Marauder guys. Those are all 03-04. Not the same ECM but they might have a brand for you.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The cluster does not matter, both the 120 and 140 versions read the same speed sensor output and will read the same.

Not sure about plug and play for the '99 ARA3 PCM into the '03 car. Although, I believe if the particular ARA3 PCM you have/obtain was from a car with 3.55 from the factory then the PCM is all you need.

Edit: nevermind, it looks like not plug and play, see the other posts.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-16-2020, 07:17 PM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

PCM will not work.

Talk to Marty and get a tune.

http://www.mosspeedshop.com/forum/

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page88.html

The PCM will plug in... It will try to work, but it will report tons of errors. The transmission has a different ring gear with 24 teeth instead of 6 holes for the output shaft sensor to read. This will end up confusing the PCM and making it run in limp-home mode and may lock the transmission into 2nd or 3rd gear (can't remember what the worst limp home mode is). The engine is also a little different and uses a different MAF sensor along with different injectors and the engine may not even run for that matter. Tuning the currently installed PCM is a much easier option and can be done with SCT, HP Tuners, or Core Tuning setups. Marty at Mo's speed shop is definitely a safe bet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No. The ecm will not work. The way the fuel pump is controlled is completely different. 03 introduced the fuel pump driver module. 99 still used a fuel pump relay. There are differences in how the transmission is (inputs and outputs). Amongst other things.

Comment

Hence reporting tons of errors. I forgot about the fuel system change though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

isn't there a PATS thing somewhere in the mix as well?
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

CVPI PCM ignores the PATS. So if one was to get it tuned to work with the car, it would lose the PATS function.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      CVPI PCM ignores the PATS. So if one was to get it tuned to work with the car, it would lose the PATS function.
                      However, I think you can enable PATS with a tuner. You can disable it on other ecms if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        However, I think you can enable PATS with a tuner. You can disable it on other ecms if I'm not mistaken.
                        Yes, I can confirm this with my current cars.

Comment

Working...
                        X