New from MN- '91 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from MN- '91 MGM

Hello, Pretty excited to have finally obtained a 1991 panther. Since I drove my first sloped dash panther in 1990 I have always wanted one. Back then I schlepped taxi cabs and always told myself, someday I would get one. Came close a couple of times over the years on Ford Crown Vic LXs. Timing was just never right. A couple of weeks ago, this '91 Merc Grand Marquis surfaced on the net. One family owned with 15k documented miles. Had some issues with the doors closing all of the way, which was corrected with the strike post adjustment. The owner would not sell me the car at first because he was in North Carolina and I was here in Minnesota. He demanded I inspect the car. I arranged a friend on the east coast to go inspect the car and the deal was done. Shipper loaded the car this past Sunday at 9:00am and it arrived at my place here in MN Monday at 4PM, just before another snow storm. I have spent the day inspecting and cleaning the first layer off of the car. I hand washed the car in 20 degree temps pushing my wash bucket through the snow. Pulled it into the 60 degree heated garage put the fans on. Digging in the compartments and enjoying running manual power antenna up and down like a kid. It will need tires as the original firestones are cracked pretty bad. Also there is a small 3" section of plastic chrome trim missing on one of the tail lights. Factory paint markings are still visible under the car.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JakeM; 02-18-2020, 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the forum. Looks very presentable. Please keep it out of the inclement weather. Should last you a long time. Enjoy your new ride.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice find!

What’s the story on the low mileage? That’s one of the lowest I’ve seen.

You are probably aware the odometers on those usually quit from bad gears. Fairly cheap to fix but worth a look to be sure yours is working. Also, worth a swap to a brass TV bushing if you are going to drive it at all.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome! I dig the AAR, I have a HEMI Superbird. Which tail light is damaged? I have an NOS passenger side tail light. I have tons of parts, wagon and sedan. LMK if you need anything. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. What's the story on the odo? they all break? any links or threads on how to fix? Also what is a TV bushing?

Comment

Thanks WM, AAR will probably be for sale. Scheduled to take it to Carlisle this year for the 50th. Just got word BOTH of our daughters are engaged to be married this past weekend.

I'll eventually need a left tail light. See some on eGouge but have not looked on Car-part yet.

Comment

Welcome!

Yes all the '90+ (through '94?) odo gears crumble with time. Fairly easy fix, got my replacement gears from eBay years ago but they're available from many sources.

Throttle Valve bushing on the underside of the throttle body/throttle lever. Check that out before driving. The brass bushing is available from many sources, also an eBay purchase in my case.

'91 is a great year, I currently have 2 DD '91 MGMs. Soon to be retiring the winter DD after 8 SE Michigan winters of DD duty (year round DD duty until 2016). Neither of my cars were in good shape when I bought them, but for $500 back in 2012, the winter DD has served me well and for $700 in 2016 the summer DD owes me nothing.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

For the odo gears there is a PDF file, which outlines the procedure, downloadable in the 4th post of this thread (on a different forum): https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=3980410 (I know we have this info somewhere on our forum, but I can't find a good thread with good detail.)

For the TV bushing here is a good thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...it-if-its-good
                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-19-2020, 12:23 AM.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thank you for the links and info. Very helpful.

Comment

Sweet-looking ride and i dig the Cuda too. The odometer gear thing isn't really that difficult, especially when you compare it to getting the cluster OUT to do it, lol. It's not terrible, but a minor ballache for sure. That said, if i can do it, anyone can. Definitely do the TV bushing if it hasn't been done. Be nice to the old gal and she'll treat you well for years to come. These are great cars.

Comment

Update on the '91. Link to gallery here with pictures sporting new tires. Also replaced both front brake calipers because they were sticking. 3 out of the 4 shocks were leaking so replaced all 4. Change oil, have the brass grommet for the od linkage. Have put a few hundred miles on since we had a nice rain here to wash the roads off. Zero issues and everything works as it should. Note in the gallery the underside factory paint markings are still visible. https://jakesgeneralstore.com/1991-m...grand-marquis/

Comment

Sweet car! Keep that car inside during winter,and protect that dash with sealer and a rug or you will have a horrifying crack like I did our Dashes are one word rare to the point you cant find them in the junkyard in perfect condishion.

Comment

Welcome! Your '91 is certainly worthy of a P.O.T.M. nomination
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Lets do it nominate JakeM 91 MGM.

Comment

Working...
                            X