2002 Grand Marquis LSE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    so now that you've driven both of the front suspensions basically back to back, what do you think of it? I have my impressions, but I'm aware that they don't tend to jive with what most folks have to say on the matter.
    I’m not terribly fond of the rack and pinion setup in the 03+, it just feels like the steering is too heavy. Also at only 70,000 miles the Lincoln had a decent sized dead spot. So of you were going straight it took a decent degree of wheel turn to correct any errors.

Plus it may just be in my head but I feel like both this car and the ‘01 Town Car I had ride smoother than the ‘03+. The only negative is the rear shock mounting position.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      I knew a Vic Sport wasn't available with digital, but I thought the LSE was. I know LS HPPs had it available so I assumed the LSE could as well. What they should have done in 03+ was put in the Marauder cluster.
      I could’ve sworn I saw something about the digi dash being optional on the LSE even though I don’t have it. I find it interesting that the Grand Marquis even the 95 I had has more gauges than a town car. Even though they’re practically gauge-like dummy lights from what I’ve read.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
        I could’ve sworn I saw something about the digi dash being optional on the LSE even though I don’t have it.
        CV/GM LX/LS HPP could have a digital dash. Sport/LSE's no digital dash. Sport package lasted a little longer then the LSE. Think the last year of the LSE was 2005. Coincidentally the last year for the digital dash was 2005.

2006 brought the boring 2 gauge analog display that was shared between the CV/GM/TC and had only minor difference in colors/fonts and either just a little LCD for the mileage or a info center in the middle of the cluster.

2001 was when steering wheel controls could be had on either the CV/GM and stopped in 2009? till 2011 though it can be added if you get the appropiate steering wheel control button pods and a wire harness from a TC with the steering controls.
        1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
        2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

So I got a code P0125 the other day. “Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control.” I reset it in case it was a fluke and it came back. I have plenty of heat so I figured it was the engine coolant temp sensor. The temp gauge barely moves so that made sense as opposed to the thermostat.

I bought what autozone said was the engine coolant temp sensor but the thing on the passenger side of the intake manifold looks quite different. First of all it doesn’t have a round plug it’s more square, and it takes a smaller wrench than what I bought.

Now if I remember right from my ‘95 there’s one sensor for the temp gauge and another for the ECM. I thought the one for the gauge just had a single wire plug and the one for the ECM had the round plug. Though I’m sure something could have changed between ‘95 and ‘02

This is all the parts store guys could find in their system.

​

Comment

Not the right sensor. Ask for an equivalent of a motorcraft SW5174
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks. I’ll take it back tomorrow and try again.

​

Comment

I hooked up the garden hose and did my best to spray the salt off the car today. I also got some better pics even though the light wasn't cooperating with me. I've previously only bought cars in the summer and always had time to get pics during good light, not so much this time of year. The scratches on the trunk lid and the spot on the passenger fender are the worst spots on the car. I found some new scratches today on the roof. I swear for having one previous owner who obviously took care of this car mechanically they sure did abuse it in some way. I don't know what if anything I'm going to do about the dents in the drivers side rear bumper cover, the tailpipe is also slightly bent. I'm guessing whatever they backed into went right between the pipe and bumper. But it's still on there solid no broken hangers or anything. I really need to get over it and stop worrying about it this is my daily driver not a show car after all.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 03-01-2020, 05:13 PM.

​

Comment

To help prevent further rot in the front fenders, you should spray some kind of rust inhibitor inside them. With the wheels off, take out the fender liner bolts and use those holes to get a bent straw from a spray can of a suitable product in there and soak away.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Trunk lid scratches are from people putting crap on the trunk lid that was inside the car then dragging it across. Watched my sis do it on her Honda years ago. I cringed for the car. Or there was some crap on the snow brush.

Looks like the rear driver quarter got crunched a tiny bit from when they backed up. Look how the body meets the corner of the tail light. And the body shell/drop panel on that side may be bent a little too. Either way, if you want perfection, you'll want another bumper cover.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                      To help prevent further rot in the front fenders, you should spray some kind of rust inhibitor inside them. With the wheels off, take out the fender liner bolts and use those holes to get a bent straw from a spray can of a suitable product in there and soak away.
                      That’s the plan, I’m just waiting for a little bit nicer weather.

​

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                        Trunk lid scratches are from people putting crap on the trunk lid that was inside the car then dragging it across. Watched my sis do it on her Honda years ago. I cringed for the car. Or there was some crap on the snow brush.

Looks like the rear driver quarter got crunched a tiny bit from when they backed up. Look how the body meets the corner of the tail light. And the body shell/drop panel on that side may be bent a little too. Either way, if you want perfection, you'll want another bumper cover.
                        Every panther I’ve owned has had misaligned taillights and quarter panels. I just figured it was piss poor assembly at the factory. I’ve seen brand new cars come off the lot with alignment issues on body panels, lights, and interiors.

The bumper cover doesn’t really bother me but I need to get that tail pipe tucked back up in there.

​

Comment

I got my Marti report today!

​

Comment

Find anything on the matri that does not jive with the vehicle?
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Find anything on the matri that does not jive with the vehicle?
                              Nope but I’ve heard of people having that issue. Mainly on older cars that have been wrecked and rebuilt multiple times.

My spare tire cover and cargo net are missing which is fairly common. I’d like to know what “deluxe luggage compartment trim” is. Considering it doesn’t even have carpeting on the inside of the trunk lid. But I’ve only seen that in Lincoln’s. It doesn’t have the factory option 6 disc changer but has a dealer installed 10 disc changer that works great.
                              Last edited by mercurygm88; 03-07-2020, 07:19 PM.

​

Comment

Looks like Marti ran out of room on the report for details haha.
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Working...
                                X