Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash to pass brighter than hi-beams

Hey guys! Hope all is well.

I have just changed bulbs and noticed when I pull back on the stalk (flash to pass), it is noticeable brighter than hi-beams. Any idea if this is normal. I have just noticed this.
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Normal. The high and low beam systems are both on in that position, thus the brighter light.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

When the stalk is pulled back, there is a moment where both the high and low beams are active.
      This is mostly so there's no moment-of-darkness when you swap between high and low beams, but also so if the switch breaks it will more likely fail with one or both sets of lights on, rather than leave you in the dark at 70mph.
      It's nice if you need more light for a moment, but remember all that juice is flowing through your headlight switch and one fuse. If you hang onto it for too long you'll probably burn one or both of them out.

It's also nice to know you're putting much more light into the face of the oncoming idiot who has left their mega-bright LED high beams on in their lifted truck. That seems to be most of my night driving these days.

Edit: Me type slow.
      Last edited by bgreywolf; 02-26-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Yah there is too much of that megawatt headlight brightness these days. Same tools do the same with the interior lighting. I pass or get passed by so many cars whose interior is practically glowing due to how bright the instrument panel is. You're doing it wrong, pal.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
          It's also nice to know you're putting much more light into the face of the oncoming idiot who has left their mega-bright LED high beams on in their lifted truck. That seems to be most of my night driving these days.

Edit: Me type slow.
          So incredibly true lately. The street jeeps seem to bother me just as much. I've adopted the less is more approach with these wackos when they get behind me. I would appreciate the extra light IF I WAS READING WAR AND PEACE but I'm not. So.. I slow down and let them go by.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

I suspect its as much light color than light amount. Modern lights are much whiter, which means there is more blue light in the mix. Blue is really hard on the eyes. Even tail lights are hard on the eyes. They're too pure red or something. Maybe its just me, but instead of distinct lights on modern stuff I just see this great fuzzy ball of red that hurts my eyes. Older vehicles I clearly see red tail lights.

my mother's vehicle has this big screen that doesn't dim enough at night, and bright white instruments. It needs the mega headlights to compensate. I absolutely hate driving it. My old-ass cars have just enough illumination to see the controls and instruments and I can get by just fine with boring glass sealed beam lamps that have been properly aimed. The relay harness does give them a boost and proper alignment makes a big difference but its still just stock lighting that happens to be working at it's peak.

honestly its a big part of why I try not to drive at night. Its painful, and and as an eyeglass wearer, the glare that I get on my lenses just makes it extremely difficult to deal with. I was wearing my sunglasses last time I was out after dark. FFS I'm not even 40 and now I have to be home before dark like my grandma was when she was 90.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You need the dupont coating on your lenses, forget what it's called but I don't have the glare problem. Especially if I keep my lenses clean and replace them every 3-4 years. Jeff Bradshaw from ElderlyIron, whoo boy, you can tell that dude's glasses are like 20 years old at least. Bet he has trouble at night too.

But yeah, I hate driving modern cars and practically refuse to. Last time I had to drive one was for work. Had to drive my ass all the way into Canada with some shitbox Nissan.

Comment

Crizal? Had 2 sets of those fail within half a year. The stuff expands at a different rate than the lenses do. Left them in the car while I was doing something outside and that was the end of it. The coating developed really fine cracks from the expansion difference and I couldn't see through them anymore. They did work nicely until they failed. Dunno, I've been wearing glasses for 30 years, and frankly I still hate it. I just fear laser surgery because I do not want to lose my near vision.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can vouch for the loss of near vision after lasik. I have to get things 11 inches from my face to see them clearly now. My workbench magnifier ring lamp gets a workout now days.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I figure within the next 10 years I'll lose my near vision from getting old. At that point I'll get the distance fixed and just get glasses for up close if I have to.

Comment

For those with lots of sunlight/UV exposure, factor in cataracts too. My eye alignment doctor says I could get new lenses put into my eyeballs that would result in a lower strength prescription for my glasses. Just my luck to not need cataract surgery.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Crizal? Had 2 sets of those fail within half a year. The stuff expands at a different rate than the lenses do. Left them in the car while I was doing something outside and that was the end of it. The coating developed really fine cracks from the expansion difference and I couldn't see through them anymore. They did work nicely until they failed. Dunno, I've been wearing glasses for 30 years, and frankly I still hate it. I just fear laser surgery because I do not want to lose my near vision.
                        I think that's the knock-off version. You want the Carl Zeiss stuff or whatever from Dupont. Don't leave 'em in the car then! The pair I've got is approaching three years old with no cracking or whatever. You also have to be delicate with them, so use the soft cloth they come with and buy more. I still wear the first pair of glasses I got with the Dupont stuff on 'em. These are like ten years old now. Coating is starting to delaminate and was when I got a new pair, but that is mostly because I used sand paper to keep 'em clean and didn't protect them. They're also the self tinting variety. It is worth the hassle for me though.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        Can vouch for the loss of near vision after lasik. I have to get things 11 inches from my face to see them clearly now. My workbench magnifier ring lamp gets a workout now days.
                        That is what keeps me from getting lasik.. How old were you when you had it done and when did you start to experience near vision loss?

Comment

Having learned about eye tattoos in the past day, this seemed like as good a place as any to warn people about them. People who are really squeamish might want to skip the following link:

https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/model-l...-black-2189043

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Not going to read the link, but the words "eye tattoo" should simply never be put together. I can't imagine anything good possibly coming of such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              That is what keeps me from getting lasik.. How old were you when you had it done and when did you start to experience near vision loss?
                              35, 42. Still not that big of a deal as I can still see everything clearly a foot or more from my face. My main issue was not being able to see things clearly in general (astigmatism), so it's still better than it was. The actual issue for me is that the lens inside the eye is finally getting "set in it's ways" and not as flexible any more. I may need to get a pair of reading glasses eventually for up close electronics work, but I'm not there yet. And if I can go another year without glasses, the surgery has paid for itself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X