Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting my 83, 5.0 performace upgrade, 3.55 rear, add dual exhaust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my 83, 5.0 performace upgrade, 3.55 rear, add dual exhaust.

1983 GM 2door, 5.0 turd...I'm finally going for it. I just retired so I have plenty of time. Budget $2000.00 This has been in the family since new, never driven in the snow,no rust, all original.

I just want to smoke the tires and a weekend driver, not a race or show car. Let my kids and grand children experience doing a hole shot ! My mechanic is a Ford guy who has done some mid 80's mustang/ F150 power/drive line upgrades but he is not familiar with this 83 turd of an engine/computer/throttle body. I haven't done any engine upgrades yet, it runs good so figured a 3.55 is the easiest and cheapest way to start, then move up to engine.

1. I want to put in 3.55 gears, any tips,suggestion on brand, limited slip, posi ? axles,splines ? Change the whole axle to a LTD police version that came with a 3.55 ? My experience with 70 muscle cars, the rear was always the first to go. I want something that I can "line lock" and beat the crap out of.

2. At the same time, I want to put on dual exhaust and,take the cats off to maybe gain a little power but mostly to give it a good sound. H or Y pipe, brand of mufflers, pipe size ?? I have a great, inexpensive local muffler shop that will do what ever I ask.

3. after i see how it does a hole shot with a 3.55 rear, then I'll do some bolt on engine upgrades, throttle body to 4bll conversion.

Thanks!

Check to see what’s in the rear axle now. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...258-Axle-Codes
    Stick with the stock 28 spline 8.8 gears. I suggest Ford gears. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4209-88355. You’ll need some type of locking differential if you want to smoke both tires. If you don’t have one already, junkyards have some good options in Fox or SN-95, as well as most 4.0 Rangers. 28-spline units aren’t getting hard to find new but still out there.

Fox shorty headers and an h-pipe are a decent fit. Or a stock replacement H-pipe if you don’t want the headers. Whatever mufflers you like. I think 2” stock tails are still available. Plenty for your needs.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd expect a 7.5" in that honestly. 4 lug too I think? Might want to consider upgrading the brakes if you're giving it more go-power. Lincoln Mark VII and bustleback Continental parts are your friends there. 5 lug, bigger front brakes. rear disc. Same front brakes as a Panther really, but with ~500+ pounds less and the rear discs they stop very well. My Continental is on the porky side for a Fox car and it has absolutely no problems hauling down from speed without locking up or being generally shitty.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I took that he is talking about a Grand Marquis. Unless I am blatantly missing something obvious.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I'd expect a 7.5" in that honestly. 4 lug too I think? Might want to consider upgrading the brakes if you're giving it more go-power. Lincoln Mark VII and bustleback Continental parts are your friends there. 5 lug, bigger front brakes. rear disc. Same front brakes as a Panther really, but with ~500+ pounds less and the rear discs they stop very well. My Continental is on the porky side for a Fox car and it has absolutely no problems hauling down from speed without locking up or being generally shitty.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I read "turd" and for whatever reason translated that to "Tbird". Derp.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a similar setup to what you're trying to do.
            Needs more gear for a funner hole shot.
            I run BBK Mustang shorties and a Summit Mustang 2.5in H-Pipe that fit ok. Muffler shop had to bend it upwards a bit. 2.5in Hooker Max Flow Mufflers. It sounds perfect.
            I agree, definitely needs a different form of fuel injection.
            1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
            1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Wasn’t ‘85 the first year for an 8.8 in a panther? If that’s the case, you’ll need to start with a later model rear end and upgrade from there...after that, I’d do 4bbl carb and good dual plane intake...but all that plus labor and you’re probably over $2k. I think you’re on the right path, rear end then exhaust...and if money allows, intake & carb.
              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

82 had an 8.5, which is the same as an 8.8 for all practical purposes. Same carrier and housing, the ring is just 1/4" smaller. An 8.8 R&P will swap into the housing without any problem. 83 or 84 onward had an 8.8.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I read "turd" and for whatever reason translated that to "Tbird". Derp.
                  Yep, Turd as in it runs like a turd.. The rear should done next week sometime. My mechanic/good friend is a Ford guy so he is tackling the hard stuff for me and i'm letting him decide the exact upgrades with and forwarding the info i get on here. Thanks for all the tips and keep them coming if you've done the carb/manifold/distributor swap.

Comment

Working...
                  X