No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh gawd, that is one of the worst oil filters a person could ever put on a vehicle..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The old fram extra guards had rubber ADBV, these new ones have silicone. Basically the same filter otherwise. I mean, it's not Walmart SuperTech awful. As long as the Motorcraft filter fits, it will be going on next oil change which will probably be 3k miles even though synthetic usually goes longer.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I never had any issues with the orange Frams. Used them for quite a while. Also the grippy texture is awesome. Had no issues with the Supertechs either but noticed the newer ones are smaller.

Now I use Wix made Pro-Tec cheapo filters I got on closeout on RA for like $1.25 a piece.
        1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
        2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

I own 6 fords and always use Motorcraft filters with zero issues. Eco boost, modular v8, SOHC V6, ohv V6, the fords really seem to like those filters for some reason.

Comment

The filter bases of the cheapo orange frams that the pleats mate up to are cardboard, not to mention they've got considerably fewer pleats than other filters. The bypass valve is shit construction too. Plenty of recent videos on the YouTube of them being cut open. The fram above that one is OK. Basically, if they feel too light- pass.

Comment

Agree about the Frams. I will add the ultra series is well built and suitable for extended use.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I’ve read on another forum that the best two filters for mod motors are Motorcraft and Wix. I don’t think it was scientifically proven but it was concluded that both had a good anti drainback valve, good number of pleats and would hold pressure for startup to prevent knock on startup. Like others, I only use motorcraft filters myself and am satisfied with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I also only run motorcraft filters on the 4.6. I get the Ford 5w-20 synthetic blend at WalMart for $16.99 for the 5 quart jug. The FL820S is $4.99 there. At the auto parts stores that oil is $30 and the filter is $8! Also at the local WalMart the Motorcraft filter is the cheapest of the 4.6 compatible filters. I just did my second oil change on the LSE two weeks ago, one big tip that helps with the filter turn the wheels all the way to the left. Makes it a lot easier to get up in there.
                  2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I think the Motorcraft filters are made by WIX. I used to run Motorcraft filters on all of my Fords and AC Smelcos on my GM stuff up until about three or four years ago when I switched exclusively to the WIX XP filters. I just pulled a Smelco of the Fireturd last week. Couldn't find an XP for it so it got a regular WIX. It also got Rotella T6. I haven't gotten a ticket in four years. If I keep driving that thing, it's bound to change.. Ever time I look down at the damn speedometer its like, "WTF, really? Already???"

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that everything is stock and the FL820S that I have will fit, I just didn't try. If it doesn't fit, Wix 57060 or Wix 57073 and Purolator L12222 or Purolator PSL12222 are the skinnier alternatives that can be used.

I had mentioned SuperTech filters since the one on the 5.0 in The Scab had an awful rubber ADBV. I just changed the oil this past week on that car. Before that oil change, startups had been a bit chatty with that SuperTech filter. I was a little late (3,500 miles) on the oil change on that car, but it's been chatty for more than 500 miles. Although there is probably around 260k miles on that engine so some of the noise could be just the well worn engine, but the filter change did help the chatty startups.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

The Town Car usually gets a change once a year. It's already past that and the oil only has ~600 miles on it. Still looks nice and hasn't used any so not sure I'm going to bother changing it. Full synthetic 0W-40 Valvoline with Wix XP filter + MotorKote oil additive, I like that stuff. No chatter. But it used to on cold start ups, the MotorKote made that go away. On the dark side, Every General Motors product I've had never had noise on start up.

Comment

It's about time for another oil change. Rolled over 70K miles within the past week. Oil change will likely be done sometime this week.

Finished my black switch swap today. It just seemed to me that the door panels could use a little contrast.

Attached Files
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Wow those blended right in there originally.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, much nicer.

Comment

Washed the car yesterday, then today after dinner I gave it a fresh coat of wax. I ended up finishing after dark so didn't get any good pictures. Looks much better since it was really getting dirty... well about as dirty as I have let this car get, which is nothing compared to how dirty my cars usually are.
                                The bad side of this car, much nicer than the good sides of my other cars.
                                Attached Files
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X