PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: VicCrownVic's 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Yeah, all it needs is a TV and an Xbox and I'd be set.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Oil change today.
    I've had a weird noise for a few weeks. Kind of a high pitch moan. Constant and matches engine RPM. I suspected the alternator was the culprit but couldn't definitively narrow it down. Also, my volt gauge has sometimes been showing voltage readings that are too low. Verifying battery voltage matched the gauge had me pretty well convinced the noise must be the alternator. Today I started the engine with the serpentine belt off and sure enough the sound was gone. Bit of a sigh of relief because this engine shouldn't be making weird noises.
    Once I grabbed a hose/tube and put one end in my ear I was able pinpoint the sound to the alternator. It was a $20 alternator from the JY that I installed 6 months ago so I'm not too disappointed. Just need to get around to getting another.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I changed the oil in the Town Car yesterday. Picked it up Friday and noticed the idle is weird. Sticky IAC or whatever and it also surges with very low throttle input.

Pulled the IAC valve and intake ducting. TB didn't seem too dirty but cleaned it anyway and took apart IAC and cleaned & lubricated it. Started and idled down like I remember it doing. Not sure if I fixed the surge issue, it kind of did that at random before. I had written 6/23/19 on the oil filter and the mileage. Despite being two years, I had only put an additional 1,500 miles on it.

Was thinking about going to the JY until my wife reminded me that we had plans for today.
    Plans got canceled for today, so I went to the JY after lunch and spent way more than I expected to.
    (Was going to text you on Friday, Derek, but I ended up deciding to go last minute so I just went.)

The new looking alternator that I grabbed from a wrecked '98 MGM fixed the weird whiny hum the previous alternator was making, and now my volt gauge is reading not disappointing voltage at idle.

I also grabbed a couple of nice winter tires from the same wrecked '98 MGM since one of mine has a small nail through the sidewall near the tread.

The one thing that I was really hoping to find was dual visors, and I found a set in a 2000 MGM. Direct swap for my single visors and even the electrical connectors were the same despite my car originally having the Home Link garage door opener in the driver side visor. The Home Link uses the same power and ground as the visor lights so the connector was the same on my visor as it was on the visor without Home Link.
    Oddly enough, the wrecked '98 also had dual visors, but I had already grabbed the ones from the 2000 before I found the '98.

It's like these things were made for my gauge pod setup. (The stock visors can't be opened all the way forward and the bottom edge points right at my eyes when flipped down all the way against the gauge pod.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20211009_162207295.jpg  
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    Gone but not forgotten:

fomoco panthers !

The twin visors look good. For me the duals are a pain to adjust when driving. I like the idea though.

I love the panther twin visors. The 03 Expedition's twin visors suck. The second one doesn't slide so it leaves gaps and the main one isn't very long and doesn't cover the gap between the B pillar and about 4-5 inches forward. Bigger vehicle with shorter visors. Bah.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Glad that worked out for you.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Tom, the thought of how annoying these are to adjust is something I've definitely thought about. I'll be driving later today and get a feel for how annoying I find it, lol. I may just put the mini down and the full size visor up. Then I don't think it will be too bad, but a little thinking ahead should make it not so bad to put up with.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

THose do look like they'd come in handy. Guessing they were an option or something standard on later years? I am overdue for a junkyard run, don't think I've been to one at all this year.

I did go for a drive yesterday and found that they aren't so annoying to adjust like I had feared they might be. Also, when I flip the mini visor all the way forward they don't hang down too far so they could be left down without annoying me as much as the full size visor being left down. It wasn't sunny during my drive yesterday, but my consensus is that these visors are a great addition.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

So, somehow it's already October. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this considering October is now more than half over.

I made my Krown appointment for this coming Wednesday and decided to put the winter tires on. Pictures are from yesterday before I washed it today (no pictures from today.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20211016_171255879.jpg   IMG_20211016_171324068.jpg   IMG_20211016_171402176.jpg  
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Yah, October really crept up on me too. Had my truck Krown'd last week. They did a great job. I only needed three cans of extra snot between two vehicles for touch-up work when I usually need three per vehicle.

Which location did you go to?
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

St. Clair. I think they've got a note on my account or something, because last year they did a pretty piss-poor job and unlike me, I actually bitched about it.

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    I did go for a drive yesterday and found that they aren't so annoying to adjust like I had feared they might be. Also, when I flip the mini visor all the way forward they don't hang down too far so they could be left down without annoying me as much as the full size visor being left down. It wasn't sunny during my drive yesterday, but my consensus is that these visors are a great addition.
    I added dual visors with Homelink to my ‘97 years ago. Absolutely love having them with the convenience factor they offer.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Krowned and ready for winter, I just got back from my appointment.

I only got a fraction of the stuff done this year that I wanted to do with this car. Mostly because I spent a huge amount of time working on my Yukon before calling it quits and shifting my focus to this car. Both should be done next year though, the Yukon is very close to being done (compared to how much it needed at the beginning of the year) and all the stuff I have left to complete on this car is all fun stuff not necessity stuff. (Although an argument could be made that some of the fun stuff I have planned is necessary.) Nothing crazy, mostly just some personal touches along the lines of what I've already done is all I have planned. (Most of it is actually finishing the gauge setup as I have 2 sending units not yet installed.) Once I've worked through my wish list for this car I'll be able to focus on The Scab some.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Fun stuff is necessary. Distractions help keep one from burning out.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112