No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the panther twin visors. The 03 Expedition's twin visors suck. The second one doesn't slide so it leaves gaps and the main one isn't very long and doesn't cover the gap between the B pillar and about 4-5 inches forward. Bigger vehicle with shorter visors. Bah.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Glad that worked out for you.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Tom, the thought of how annoying these are to adjust is something I've definitely thought about. I'll be driving later today and get a feel for how annoying I find it, lol. I may just put the mini down and the full size visor up. Then I don't think it will be too bad, but a little thinking ahead should make it not so bad to put up with.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

THose do look like they'd come in handy. Guessing they were an option or something standard on later years? I am overdue for a junkyard run, don't think I've been to one at all this year.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I did go for a drive yesterday and found that they aren't so annoying to adjust like I had feared they might be. Also, when I flip the mini visor all the way forward they don't hang down too far so they could be left down without annoying me as much as the full size visor being left down. It wasn't sunny during my drive yesterday, but my consensus is that these visors are a great addition.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

So, somehow it's already October. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this considering October is now more than half over.

I made my Krown appointment for this coming Wednesday and decided to put the winter tires on. Pictures are from yesterday before I washed it today (no pictures from today.)

Attached Files
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yah, October really crept up on me too. Had my truck Krown'd last week. They did a great job. I only needed three cans of extra snot between two vehicles for touch-up work when I usually need three per vehicle.

Comment

Which location did you go to?
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

St. Clair. I think they've got a note on my account or something, because last year they did a pretty piss-poor job and unlike me, I actually bitched about it.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                      I did go for a drive yesterday and found that they aren't so annoying to adjust like I had feared they might be. Also, when I flip the mini visor all the way forward they don't hang down too far so they could be left down without annoying me as much as the full size visor being left down. It wasn't sunny during my drive yesterday, but my consensus is that these visors are a great addition.
                      I added dual visors with Homelink to my ‘97 years ago. Absolutely love having them with the convenience factor they offer.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Krowned and ready for winter, I just got back from my appointment.

I only got a fraction of the stuff done this year that I wanted to do with this car. Mostly because I spent a huge amount of time working on my Yukon before calling it quits and shifting my focus to this car. Both should be done next year though, the Yukon is very close to being done (compared to how much it needed at the beginning of the year) and all the stuff I have left to complete on this car is all fun stuff not necessity stuff. (Although an argument could be made that some of the fun stuff I have planned is necessary.) Nothing crazy, mostly just some personal touches along the lines of what I've already done is all I have planned. (Most of it is actually finishing the gauge setup as I have 2 sending units not yet installed.) Once I've worked through my wish list for this car I'll be able to focus on The Scab some.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Fun stuff is necessary. Distractions help keep one from burning out.

Comment

Last week a misfire developed on this car. Very slight, but enough for me to notice. Mostly on acceleration is when I would notice it and oddly it was not as bad when cold. It didn't meet the parameters to trip the CEL though.
                            Checked it out while at my uncle's place last weekend and found a misfire code for cylinder number 5. Monkeyed with it some and it was a little better after that. I ordered new plugs and coils and finally got around to changing them today. Since the salt hasn't started flying I drove The Scab the couple times I went anywhere. Before I tackled this job I went for a drive with this car earlier and the CEL did finally trip. Code was again for the misfire on cylinder 5.
                            The old plugs didn't look bad and nothing obvious on the coils or boots. Since these were likely factory original with 86k miles, they all got replaced anyway.
                            Back to smooth peppy sailing now.
                            Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-26-2021, 06:31 PM.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

How'd the plug look on #5? Was it just the coil which went bad?

Comment

Plug looked ok, not new but not bad. Reading it, everything looked normal. Heat range looked ok, possibly a little hot but not too hot. I found plenty of info suggesting to use one heat range colder than the stock plugs on this era 4.6. I'm thinking the coil was the problem, but at 86k miles and possibly the original plugs, or at least I had no way of knowing when they were last replaced, new plugs went in.

When Mark and I did the intake replacement last year the coils probably didn't go on the same cylinder they came from. So this coil cold have been #4 or #8 where it might not get as much air cooling from the radiator fan.

The plugs that came out were Motorcraft Platinum AWSF32P. Not sure if those are the factory plugs. If yes, then they had 86k miles. If no, then they had at least 23k miles on them + whatever they had when the car came to me. At some point I'll have to pull a plug and check to see if the new plugs look like they are the right heat range or not. Heat range seems to be a different scale per manufacturer, and the numbers they use to denote the scale even go in opposite direction depending on the manufacturer. Bosch Platinum 6747 is what went in since I've had good experiences with Bosch Platinums in my other cars.

Of course all the heat range stuff I didn't look up until today and I've really never studied this subject. The old Motorcrafts are heat range 3 which is the warmest in Motorcraft's cold range. The new Bosch plugs are heat range 7 which is 1 heat range below their hottest so that's why I'll be pulling a plug later to see how it reads. So far it runs great.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X