No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, once the JYs reopen around here I'll have to see if I can find the later setup. I thought I had seen a thread a while ago where someone had installed some improved lighting in the trunk of their whale. Might have been IPreferDIY, but I can't find the thread. Anyway, it may be an early whale thing.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Is it a TC vs GM/CV thing with trunk lights? I can't easily get to the Marauder right now but IIRC it only has one trunk light and the TC has two.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        Oh, once the JYs reopen around here I'll have to see if I can find the later setup. I thought I had seen a thread a while ago where someone had installed some improved lighting in the trunk of their whale. Might have been IPreferDIY, but I can't find the thread. Anyway, it may be an early whale thing.
        Wasn't me. I'm pretty sure I left the bulb out so I can leave the trunk open when doing stuff without worrying about the battery draining. Was the thread you mentioned about something like a string of lights? That's the only thing that comes to mind.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I'll keep searching but I know someone posted a while ago about poor trunk lighting in their whale.
          I'm pleased with the addition of the box light in the trunk lid. I have no idea what Ford was thinking having only a light on the package tray next to the spare tire.

As for TC vs CV/MGM, it wouldn't surprise me if the TCs got better lighting. Also, based on the post from mercurygm88, the Marauder probably has better lighting since his post implies that by '02 the trunk lighting was improved.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
            Wasn't me. I'm pretty sure I left the bulb out so I can leave the trunk open when doing stuff without worrying about the battery draining. Was the thread you mentioned about something like a string of lights? That's the only thing that comes to mind.
            You can leave it open without draining the battery anyway. There’s a power disconnect after 10 minutes. I don’t know when it started but I know my ‘95 had it.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I'll keep searching but I know someone posted a while ago about poor trunk lighting in their whale.
              I'm pleased with the addition of the box light in the trunk lid. I have no idea what Ford was thinking having only a light on the package tray next to the spare tire.

As for TC vs CV/MGM, it wouldn't surprise me if the TCs got better lighting. Also, based on the post from mercurygm88, the Marauder probably has better lighting since his post implies that by '02 the trunk lighting was improved.
              Maybe the dual lights is the “deluxe luggage compartment trim” option I have. I don’t know what else it would be. I don’t even have a carpeted trunk lid like my TC’s had. No trunk organizer either.
              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Very well could be nicer lighting came with the "deluxe luggage compartment trim."

Random side note: according to https://www.vehiclehistory.com/, this car is an LS series (which I knew) and Trim is Limited Edition (whatever that means, who knows if that is even correct).

Since it was wet today, I got to check how the 303 Fabric Guard is doing on my test patch. I'd say it's a winner. You can see water beading on the right (treated patch), and soaking in on the far left (untreated).
                I'll probably apply it to the whole roof this weekend since the weather looks like it will be perfect.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-01-2020, 12:25 AM.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Very well could be nicer lighting came with the "deluxe luggage compartment trim."

Random side note: according to https://www.vehiclehistory.com/, this car is an LS series (which I knew) and Trim is Limited Edition (whatever that means, who knows if that is even correct).

Since it was wet today, I got to check how the 303 Fabric Guard is doing on my test patch. I'd say it's a winner. You can see water beading on the right (treated patch), and soaking in on the far left (untreated).
                  I'll probably apply it to the whole roof this weekend since the weather looks like it will be perfect.
                  I don't know if they did it in '98 but my '02 brochure lists an LS premium trim which was one step below the LSE but one step up from the LS The LSE itself is one step below the Ultimate. But as far as I can tell the Ultimate just added the digidash. I'd rather have my center console/floor shifter than give that up just to have the digidash. Not sure what the LS premium was but it's basically an LS with more stuff but not HPP. It seems the only options my LSE doesn't have are the full size spare and factory 6 disc CD changer. But it does have a dealer installed 10 disc CD changer. And 10 CD's is better than 6 so I'm not complaining. Both of my TC's had the alpine 6 disc changers.

So basically there's like 7 trim levels according to the brochure
                  GS
                  GS with convenience package
                  LS
                  LS premium
                  LS premium with handling and performance package
                  LSE all LSE's have the handling and performance package
                  Ultimate seems in '02 the ultimate was just an LSE premium with HPP and digidash.

It's all kind of confusing.

​

Comment

I'd give up digidash for the center console. If I really wanted digidash I could add it. It's probably easier on a whale than a box, but probably still a lot of work. Adding a center console and matching seats would be much easier, other than find the parts of course. Whales with digidash are a dime a dozen in the yards around here.

I'll have to dig around oldbrochure.com or whatever the site is to see if there is any trim level info for '98.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I'd give up digidash for the center console. If I really wanted digidash I could add it. It's probably easier on a whale than a box, but probably still a lot of work. Adding a center console and matching seats would be much easier, other than find the parts of course. Whales with digidash are a dime a dozen in the yards around here.

I'll have to dig around oldbrochure.com or whatever the site is to see if there is any trim level info for '98.
                      I read on CVN that you can do the digidash swap in a whale. You just need a harness from the donor car. I've honestly only seen one or two whales with digidash for sale. Quite a few aeros seem to have it though. Then again until a few years ago I had only seen one or two CV's or MGM's with leather. Now they're popping up all over the place. I was really impressed that my '88 had more options than my '95, one of which was leather.

I grabbed this from a 1999 brochure I found online. Assuming '98 was the same it looks like you have an LS Ultimate! Which I did not know they were doing that early. Honestly it looks like the only options your car doesn't have that I have are the steering wheel audio/HVAC controls and power pedals. But I think those didn't come around until '01 or '02 on CV's and GM's. Does your car have dual exhaust and/or air suspension? Those are probably an HPP only thing but this brochure was scanned so poorly you couldn't read most of the option list.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 05-01-2020, 03:02 AM.

​

Comment

Digidash whales everywhere in the JYs here. I saw at least 3 last time I was at the yards. Also saw an LSE at the yard on 8 Mile. That's a rare sight around here, but even more rare that the center console was still there.

No dual exhaust on my car, although the non original bumper is from a dual exhaust car. Pictures that I found on https://www.vehiclehistory.com/ show that the original rear bumper was in very bad shape.
                        Also no air suspension, but I would like to add the compressor, height sensor, and whatever else I need to go with my air shocks that I'll be installing.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I want to say all the Whale bumper covers have the notch on both sides for the tailpipes, regardless if it's a dual exhaust car or not.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Digidash whales everywhere in the JYs here. I saw at least 3 last time I was at the yards. Also saw an LSE at the yard on 8 Mile. That's a rare sight around here, but even more rare that the center console was still there.

No dual exhaust on my car, although the non original bumper is from a dual exhaust car. Pictures that I found on https://www.vehiclehistory.com/ show that the original rear bumper was in very bad shape.
                            Also no air suspension, but I would like to add the compressor, height sensor, and whatever else I need to go with my air shocks that I'll be installing.
                            Well it's not an HPP but most likely still an LS Ultimate

​

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              I want to say all the Whale bumper covers have the notch on both sides for the tailpipes, regardless if it's a dual exhaust car or not.
                              I believe your right about that.

​

Comment

Catching up here...looks like a decent car, congrats on finding a solid new ride. The rag top is an interesting choice but I feel in black, it kinda works. It isn't ugly, just a little out of place, but even then, a lot less out of place than on something like a 2000 Sable.

Having driven a 97 (I had one for a short while) and my friend's 2000, I can very confidently say that I prefer how the AOD behaves over the electronically controlled newer stuff. I wonder if you'll discover a similar disparity the longer you drive it, and particularly when you switch back to an AOD car. I can't really put my finger on exactly what I don't like, but it's got something to do with the fact the 4R70W holds a gear even if you let off the throttle (as do all modern vehicles). It just feels abnormal after the amount of seat time I have in AOD cars.

It's sort of incredible that your wheels are in as good shape as they are. I don't think I've ever seen that particular wheel without serious corrosion damage. Not my favourite wheel but they look a lot more respectable when they aren't made of flaky aluminum dust.

Current driver: Ranger
                                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X