PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping 88 Tow Car

Default Stripping 88 Tow Car

I got in an 88 Town Car that I can strip parts off of from my demo derby friend. 75K miles. Maroon with maroon interior. I can strip the interior, any outer trim/molding, tail lights. wheels, radio, antenna, glass, dash pad, etc. I have to leave all metal body panels on the car.
    This is a low level town car, non leather steering wheel, no trunk pull down, basic cassette stereo. Drivers door panel is shot. WagonMan VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

What is the radio in it? Is it a premium sound w/ cassette by chance? I know you said low level, but I do not know what that actually means for the TC.

LOL! Every time I advertise a radio I get responses asking if its JBL. It is a cassette with an amp in the trunk. I'll post a pic later. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

probably standard premium sound. Same radio used with the JBL by '88. Silver amp for premium, black for JBL.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Its got the black amp. Says "Premium Sound" on the front. Bad news is the cassette doesn't work. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

none of them do at this point, but fair chance it just needs belts. They turn to bubblegum every 15 years or so.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

All of the amps will be black in Lincolns, at least '88 and up. Big honker is JBL, the rear speaker covers should have "Ford-JBL" logos on them where as base level crap was just "Premium Sound."
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

If you don't mind yanking it out, I would like to see it. I will be seeing you sooner or later anyways for the wagon molding we talked about.

The Lincoln radio takes the square black amp. I have another radio that takes the silver foot ball shaped amp too. Lincoln radio says "premium sound" .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5788.jpg   IMGP5790.jpg  
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

They're both kinda rectangular WM... What does the emblem on the rear speaker grilles say? I have seen a stripper model Town Car with the JBL option, the F'in unicorn CD player to top it off even... Although that vintage of radio you've got there Ford also paid extra money for a 2nd faceplate which said "Ford-JBL" instead of "Premium" like that one does. My money says it's the base premium stuff. Fun fact: If you've got premium sound with the later black amp, you can swap in the JBL amp with ultra minor mods- you simply move the speed clips around, the wiring harnesses are universal for those years and up.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 03-02-2020 at 11:10 AM.

I post a lot...

I thought by 88 that radio was gone, and the toggle volume control was standard in the Town Car.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

BTW, the trunk seal and the door seals are in excellent shape. Some of the fender moldings are real nice too. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
    I thought by 88 that radio was gone, and the toggle volume control was standard in the Town Car.
    Good eye. My '88 was an early build (Sept. '87) and it had the toggle volume.. Maybe someone swapped that stereo in?

yeah that radio was mostly gone after 87.

If nobody else wants the door seals, I'll hoard them but I have a good spare set already. Good driver's seals are hard to find. Rather see those go to someone who actually needs a set. Does this still have an intact header panel to hood seal, or cowl to hood seal? Any chance its got the chrome vent shade things on the windows?

I'll check on the under hood seals tomorrow. No chrome vent shade thingys. This is strange, the manufacturers date on the door is 05/87, but the car is an 88. Might explain the radio. No JBL anywhere on speakers or on the radio. It does say "FORD" on the radio, shouldn't it say "LINCOLN" on it? The front bumper is steel, and it looks new. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

88 model year started middle of 1987, but thats a very early one.

Radios all said Ford as far as I know. Even my JBL radio says Ford JBL.

Middle of 87 would have been the next month. That car must have gotten titled wrong, late or something. Possibly the door/sticker isn't original. I just know that my Dodge truck is an 87 and made the same time this car was allegedly made (5/87).

Does this car have mud flaps? I need a left rear for my Lincoln.

Do these things interchange between all panther body cars? I would imagine so, but really haven't payed attention. If they are Lincoln specific I may be interested. If not, then I can pull them off one of the junky future derby car's my local junkyard has.
    Last edited by ZackN920; 03-02-2020 at 08:12 PM.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-98k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

the others...
    1926 Dodge Brothers Business Sedan- 212ci I4/3 speed/crank start
    1987 Dodge Dakota- 3.9/A999/3.90/2wd (storage)
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-AMC360/727/NP229/3.08/2" lift(daily)
    1994 GMC Burban L05 350/4L60e/241/3.42
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/AW4/231/3.73 (limbo)

I'm pretty sure mud flaps are an aftermarket item. Maybe try E-bay. BTW, my antenna works perfect on this parts car. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Yea, you're probably right. Naw, my buds at the yard will give small junk like that to me for free as long as I take it off myself. They just don't have any other Lincolns like mine in at the moment. They've got the Ford and Merc versions in and they've got the flaps.

Ahh, you seen that thread. hahaha, woosh- I wasn't even thinking about it. Is it nice and smooth? No clunks goin' up or down?... May be interested if reasonable and shipping isn't too bad from CT to IL. Short on time though, we cut the cord and I wont be online in the foreseeable future after the 6th of this month.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-98k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

the others...
    1926 Dodge Brothers Business Sedan- 212ci I4/3 speed/crank start
    1987 Dodge Dakota- 3.9/A999/3.90/2wd (storage)
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-AMC360/727/NP229/3.08/2" lift(daily)
    1994 GMC Burban L05 350/4L60e/241/3.42
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/AW4/231/3.73 (limbo)

car model years start in October or November typically, so May of 87 would be middle of the model year. 1987 Ford was a very short model year for unknown reasons. They sold a crapload of 1988 models though, but it helps when the model year ends up being a year and a half long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast