Stripping 88 Tow Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping 88 Tow Car

I got in an 88 Town Car that I can strip parts off of from my demo derby friend. 75K miles. Maroon with maroon interior. I can strip the interior, any outer trim/molding, tail lights. wheels, radio, antenna, glass, dash pad, etc. I have to leave all metal body panels on the car.
    This is a low level town car, non leather steering wheel, no trunk pull down, basic cassette stereo. Drivers door panel is shot. WagonMan VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

What is the radio in it? Is it a premium sound w/ cassette by chance? I know you said low level, but I do not know what that actually means for the TC.

Comment

LOL! Every time I advertise a radio I get responses asking if its JBL. It is a cassette with an amp in the trunk. I'll post a pic later. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park

Comment

probably standard premium sound. Same radio used with the JBL by '88. Silver amp for premium, black for JBL.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its got the black amp. Says "Premium Sound" on the front. Bad news is the cassette doesn't work. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park

Comment

none of them do at this point, but fair chance it just needs belts. They turn to bubblegum every 15 years or so.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All of the amps will be black in Lincolns, at least '88 and up. Big honker is JBL, the rear speaker covers should have "Ford-JBL" logos on them where as base level crap was just "Premium Sound."
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you don't mind yanking it out, I would like to see it. I will be seeing you sooner or later anyways for the wagon molding we talked about.

Comment

The Lincoln radio takes the square black amp. I have another radio that takes the silver foot ball shaped amp too. Lincoln radio says "premium sound" .
                  Attached Files
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park

Comment

They're both kinda rectangular WM... What does the emblem on the rear speaker grilles say? I have seen a stripper model Town Car with the JBL option, the F'in unicorn CD player to top it off even... Although that vintage of radio you've got there Ford also paid extra money for a 2nd faceplate which said "Ford-JBL" instead of "Premium" like that one does. My money says it's the base premium stuff. Fun fact: If you've got premium sound with the later black amp, you can swap in the JBL amp with ultra minor mods- you simply move the speed clips around, the wiring harnesses are universal for those years and up.
                    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 03-02-2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I thought by 88 that radio was gone, and the toggle volume control was standard in the Town Car.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

BTW, the trunk seal and the door seals are in excellent shape. Some of the fender moldings are real nice too. WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                          I thought by 88 that radio was gone, and the toggle volume control was standard in the Town Car.
                          Good eye. My '88 was an early build (Sept. '87) and it had the toggle volume.. Maybe someone swapped that stereo in?

Comment

yeah that radio was mostly gone after 87.

If nobody else wants the door seals, I'll hoard them but I have a good spare set already. Good driver's seals are hard to find. Rather see those go to someone who actually needs a set. Does this still have an intact header panel to hood seal, or cowl to hood seal? Any chance its got the chrome vent shade things on the windows?

Comment

I'll check on the under hood seals tomorrow. No chrome vent shade thingys. This is strange, the manufacturers date on the door is 05/87, but the car is an 88. Might explain the radio. No JBL anywhere on speakers or on the radio. It does say "FORD" on the radio, shouldn't it say "LINCOLN" on it? The front bumper is steel, and it looks new. WagonMan
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park

Comment

Working...
                              X