PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Default Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    the one time I attempted having a rad fixed the guy told me flat out that with as old as the plastic was, it was probably more likely to have the tank crumble when he put it back together than for the leak to be fixed. Ended up figuring out how to adapt a commonly available radiator. The only reason I was trying to have it fixed was because the original was odd.
    New ones are so cheap too that itís only worth it you canít make another one fit or want to keep a car all original. I wanted to keep my Vic original but my mind quickly changed when I got the price on a recore. My jaw hit the floor. I got a decent plastic/aluminum one from rock auto for $100 to get it running until summer was over. I just ordered an all aluminum champion unit from radiator express for a permanent fix for $205 shipped. A recore was $450 for the original!!! I spent less and have a spare rad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by matth825; 04-03-2020 at 07:34 PM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I was less concerned about originality as just not having to dick about with things that don't fit. Guy at the rad shop had a catalog and having the original in front of him we were able to match something up. It has a fill cap, the original did not. Basically I modified a radiator cap so it didn't hold pressure and used the overflow connection to feed out to the expansion tank. The whole thing was around 200 bucks and the all aluminum radiator I got probably cools better than the original brass one did. No gaskets or plastic either, all welded tanks.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I used an all-aluminum radiator that was designed for a 351w model 79-85 panther in the Mark VI. Just had to change the upper hose since the 351 models have a smaller top hose on the radiator. Engine side is the same.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Lucky for me, this one is all metal. So that's nice. As for aftermarket replacments, I haven't had great luck with those. I had one in my Buick. It sprung a leak three weeks outside of its 2-year warranty, and did a terrible job cooling the transmission.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

some of them are shit. Sometimes its grounding problems that eat them. Voltage checks from ground to the coolant will often turn up answers there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234