PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

not sure how the wires are routed but I'd figure it would be easier to unplug the wires and pull them under the compressor vs unbolting the compressor but your eyes are actually on it. If you have to move the compressor, do it.

The advance plates in the distributors usually have 2 notches. Not sure what the usual combos are but very possible 12/16 is one of them. And yeah 2x the number is the number of degrees. I guess they thought marking it in distributor degrees rather than crank degrees made sense? Or because Ford. Anyway, initial + mechanical is total advance, plus whatever the vac adds to it. Then you get into what springs to use to control when the advance is in.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...r-Timing-Guide

might be worth a read. I know just enough about distributor operation to get how they work, but not enough to know what the right settings are.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    ...I've driven things with those H4 conversion lamps. Cant say I was impressed, but everyone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll just leave it at that. Relay harness on stock sealed beam lamps does me fine though. Stock ancient sealed beams with lots of voltage drop thanks to old wiring is pretty shite though.
    I like sealed beams. I've got Sylvania Xtra Visions in each of the four slots on my Townie. They run through the ancient, stock wiring. They light up the road wonderfully when properly aimed like I've got 'em. When we road trip I primarily drive at night, I don't notice much of a difference between that old Town Car and the modern shitboxes I have to rent for work, certainly not enough of one to make me go out and spend money. I love the look of sealed beams and incandescent bulbs, especially on vehicles originally equipped with them. I think LED's and all of that swapped in place of the OE stuff just looks tacky. Something I'd never do or undo.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

how much the harness helps really seems to depend on the specifics. I got better than 2v on my Towncar and about 1.6 on the Continental. Made a huge difference. If your wiring isn't as lossy it won't matter as much. It never did anything on the Mark VII other than cause me trouble. After burning out several relays for less than 0.2 volts of improvement I trashed the harness.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

not sure how the wires are routed but I'd figure it would be easier to unplug the wires and pull them under the compressor vs unbolting the compressor but your eyes are actually on it. If you have to move the compressor, do it.
    I had gone back to take another look at it, and yeah, I can just unplug it. Somehow I had it in my mind that there weren't any plugs to connect wiring from one side to the other, that along that stretch there were just plugs for individual components. Proved myself wrong about that. That was a couple weeks ago, but kept forgetting to get back over here. Haven't made any progress lately. I've been too caught up in a bunch of other things, like trying to repair my daily drivers (currently a 2001 Buick Century and 1995 Chevy Caprice former FD car). Also, with all this pandemic nonsense plaguing us, I haven't been able to get new plate tags for my other Panther. They expired late last year, but since it doesn't go outside in the winter these days, I was just going to wait until springtime to get plate stickers, like I've done for the past five years, for when I actually drive the car. DMVs have been closed since the week before I got the money to get the stupid sticker. Would go to the currency exchange, but they seem to be wanting extra paperwork or something that I don't seem to have. And can't renew online because they require a code on the renewal notice cards that get mailed, and mine disappeared. I think I may have accidentally grabbed it when clearing up a bunch of junk mail to destroy. So, no Panther enjoyment on either of two fronts for now.

But for now, I really need to get my rear in gear to clean up the front of that 351W so I can install the new timing set and the new cover. Don't have any new studs yet, though, since Totally Stainless has been closed, also due to the pandemic.
    1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
    1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
    1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
    2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

I'm held up on DMV closures too. Towncar has been expired since November. Wanted to swap it to a historic plate because its much cheaper but then the world went nuts.

how much the harness helps really seems to depend on the specifics. I got better than 2v on my Towncar and about 1.6 on the Continental. Made a huge difference. If your wiring isn't as lossy it won't matter as much. It never did anything on the Mark VII other than cause me trouble. After burning out several relays for less than 0.2 volts of improvement I trashed the harness.
    I missed this post.

I'm sure I've got voltage loss issues. Everyone that has done the swap on their box noticed an improvement so I can't imagine my car is exempt. Oh, well yeah, I'd trash it too in that case. I hate the idea of doing modifications only to have to undo them. Such is life though. Theres not much like making a modification you didn't expect to do much only to have significant gains come your way from them though. I like pleasant surprises.

I'm held up on DMV closures too. Towncar has been expired since November. Wanted to swap it to a historic plate because its much cheaper but then the world went nuts.
    Illinois has "antique vehicle" plates which are cheap, but super restrictive. No idea how strongly they're enforced, but I like to drive my cars around without worrying about restrictions. Not like I am going to drive my 30+ year old vehicles every day everywhere I go, but who knows.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I missed this post.

I'm sure I've got voltage loss issues. Everyone that has done the swap on their box noticed an improvement so I can't imagine my car is exempt. Oh, well yeah, I'd trash it too in that case. I hate the idea of doing modifications only to have to undo them. Such is life though. Theres not much like making a modification you didn't expect to do much only to have significant gains come your way from them though. I like pleasant surprises.
    The nice thing with the headlight harnesses is that they're easy to install and remove. All you really do is plug them into a headlight socket, and also connect to power and ground. Made a nice difference in my 2003 Marauder.

Default Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    Illinois has "antique vehicle" plates which are cheap, but super restrictive. No idea how strongly they're enforced, but I like to drive my cars around without worrying about restrictions. Not like I am going to drive my 30+ year old vehicles every day everywhere I go, but who knows.

You can get the Expanded Use antique plates. I have them on my 85. I think the renewal is $50/year and the car can be used without any silly restrictions from April through October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I post a lot...

i wish NY offered something like that, the expanded use option, but NY sucks. They even specifically prohibit insurers from offering winter garaged vehicle rates.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

This is the sum total of what NJ MVC has to say about historic plates.

Vehicle requirements:•
    Owned as a collector’s item•
    Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes•
    Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way
    Equipped for legal operation on NJ roadways

somewhere in there it says it has to be at least 25 years old too.

Strictly speaking the Towncar doesn't actually qualify but I'd like to see someone figure out why from the 2 pictures I have to provide of the car for the application. They don't actually define what "exhibition" is either, so I figure I'm exhibiting it by displaying the vehicle in it's native environment, driving down the road.

Exactly. "exhibition" is a huge gray area prime for exploitation. In MI, it strictly states that you must only be driving the car to and from a show or parade so it's pretty easy to get burned by that. I put those plates on my Fury and got burned mid road trip.

Virginia changed the law a few years ago to say car shows, maintenance, parts runs, and pleasure use up to 250 miles a day.

Basically, I can’t drive it to work. I suspect it will change again since I do see some abuse of it.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Exactly. "exhibition" is a huge gray area prime for exploitation. In MI, it strictly states that you must only be driving the car to and from a show or parade so it's pretty easy to get burned by that. I put those plates on my Fury and got burned mid road trip.
    This is pretty much how IL handles it, too. Since I like to go cruising and sometimes drive the cars to work, it's a pretty crappy option.

On a separate note, I've been trying to look up some replacement crank pulley bolts, and I can't find what I need. I get the right thread and all, but they're for applications without a spacer between the pulley and balancer, they're too short. The only set I found that are an acceptable length are for GM engines, have a different thread. I wanted to go with an ARP set, since they should stay nice for a long time, but they don't appear to have what I need. Any clue as to where I can get what I need? 'm guessing I might just need to get some generic 3/8-16 bolts, but hopefully in a long-lasting finish that protects against corrosion.

there isn't a spacer on later ones, but I've never fooled with a 79. Can you tell what grade they are by the markings on the head? I'd figure at least a grade 5. McMaster-Carr will have them if needed. Can get whatever finish or material you like, probably including stainless.

I'm a bit of a McMaster fanboy. Of all the companies I order crap from at work, they're probably my favorite.

Well, there isn't a factory spacer. All of the aftermarket options are pretty much the same size and I needed a spacer to increase the depth enough to get the pulley into the right spot. I also don't think the factory pulley would sit flush against an aftermarket style balancer anyway. Probably wouldn't be an issue if I installed a full accessory and belt system from someone like CVF Racing. Planning on doing that eventually to at least one of my old Fords. They have something for all three of the different motors in my carbed rides: 351W, 351M, 460.

I'd assume the bolts are at least grade 5, as well. I'll take a look at McMaster-Carr. I haven't had dealings with them in about a decade. Used to order stuff from them in my old job, and also drop off a diesel trailered air compressor over there for annual service. Glad to be done hauling with a pintle hitch, for sure.

whats different about the aftermarket balancer vs the stock one that needs a spacer added? bit confused here.

The aftermarket isn't as deep as the factory. Without a spacer the pulley wouldn't be in alignment with the others. I forget what the overall depth is of either balancer, but I needed a 0.875" spacer. I only saw one balancer that didn't require a spacer, but I'll be damned if I'm going to put any Dorman parts on a car if there are other options available.

I thought Ford used basically the same balancer on everything from the late 60s through the 90s on the 351, or at least the spacing between the pulley flange and the front of the crank was the same.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast