No announcement yet.

Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the damned thing is pretty big, but I'm not completely put out by it. I'll give it a try for now, maybe change it up later. Can't complain too much since I can't use the factory dist and I got the HEI pretty cheap.

In the meantime, though, I've been trying to pull the balancer. I can't seem to get it to budge. I was going to try using an impact, but I just discovered that there isn't enough space for any of my impacts. Can almost fit my pneumatic Craftsman, though. If it seems that I have sufficient spare funds I might pop on over to Harbor Freight and pick up a compact impact with similar torque to my Craftsman. So annoying. I even tried a 2-foot breaker bar for leverage. That damned thing just doesn't want to come loose.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
    1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
    1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
    2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

Comment

you pulled the washer out right? It absolutely will not go otherwise.

Should have enough space if you have the fan shroud out. I've used my not particularly compact Kobalt impact to remove mine before.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No, I didn't remove the washer. Once it was out, I didn't need much at all to pull the balancer, came out smooth and easy. Now I just have to figure out why the timing cover won't come off. Feels like I missed a bolt on the bottom.

Comment

I did miss a bolt... Took a look at the new cover, and there's a bolt hole behind the crank sensor mount. Guess I know what I'm doing when I get back into the garage.

Comment

Ok, so I didn't miss a bolt, it was just really stuck with the pan gaskets. Seems like I might have some adjustments to make with the new cover.

Also, is there supposed to be this much play in the chain? I mean, I have a new timing set anyway, but this feels kind of sloppy.

Guess I'll need to get to some cleaning and finding TDC, matching the marks on the gears. They're so dirty, can't find any markings.
            Last edited by ledzilla; 04-02-2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Chain is definitely worn, but it also looks like you have the original nylon teeth type timing set. Those have been reportedly bad for longevity.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

yeah... chain is plenty stretched there and those plastic teeth are so old at this point, even if they look brand new, they could explode tomorrow. Definitely a good idea to put the new timing set on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

All set on a double roller.

Comment

chain stretch + plastic tooth wear. All of this is bad.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad I'm tearing this down. That sheared stud was a blessing in disguise.

Comment

The chains don't actually stretch, the pins holding the links together wear and that is what causes the slop. Nylon wearing down adds even more slop. Looks like she's had a few extended oil change intervals too, along with a life of short trips.
                        Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Very happy you decided to tear that down! My chain was just as sloppy when I replaced it .

Did you have any luck finding a radiator shop to fix the bent outlet fitting? If they can’t you’re more than welcome to have my old radiator to use for the side tank (core is plugged up). Its sitting in my garage taking up space and since you’re in Chicagoland getting it to you would be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, there's a shop down the street from my old high school. I sent an inquiry, and depending on how much overall attention it needs, could have it all fixed up for $85. That includes cleaning and testing for/fixing leaks, too.

Comment

Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Glad you found someone. Seems like no one wants to touch radiators anymore. The only guy I could find who was willing to attempt cleaning/fixing mine was all the way up in Woodstock. He quoted me an arm and a leg so I opted for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the one time I attempted having a rad fixed the guy told me flat out that with as old as the plastic was, it was probably more likely to have the tank crumble when he put it back together than for the leak to be fixed. Ended up figuring out how to adapt a commonly available radiator. The only reason I was trying to have it fixed was because the original was odd.

Comment

Working...
                                X