Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    how much the harness helps really seems to depend on the specifics. I got better than 2v on my Towncar and about 1.6 on the Continental. Made a huge difference. If your wiring isn't as lossy it won't matter as much. It never did anything on the Mark VII other than cause me trouble. After burning out several relays for less than 0.2 volts of improvement I trashed the harness.
    I missed this post.

I'm sure I've got voltage loss issues. Everyone that has done the swap on their box noticed an improvement so I can't imagine my car is exempt. Oh, well yeah, I'd trash it too in that case. I hate the idea of doing modifications only to have to undo them. Such is life though. Theres not much like making a modification you didn't expect to do much only to have significant gains come your way from them though. I like pleasant surprises.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I'm held up on DMV closures too. Towncar has been expired since November. Wanted to swap it to a historic plate because its much cheaper but then the world went nuts.
      Illinois has "antique vehicle" plates which are cheap, but super restrictive. No idea how strongly they're enforced, but I like to drive my cars around without worrying about restrictions. Not like I am going to drive my 30+ year old vehicles every day everywhere I go, but who knows.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
      1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
      1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
      1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
      2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I missed this post.

I'm sure I've got voltage loss issues. Everyone that has done the swap on their box noticed an improvement so I can't imagine my car is exempt. Oh, well yeah, I'd trash it too in that case. I hate the idea of doing modifications only to have to undo them. Such is life though. Theres not much like making a modification you didn't expect to do much only to have significant gains come your way from them though. I like pleasant surprises.
        The nice thing with the headlight harnesses is that they're easy to install and remove. All you really do is plug them into a headlight socket, and also connect to power and ground. Made a nice difference in my 2003 Marauder.

Comment

Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Originally posted by ledzilla View Post
          Illinois has "antique vehicle" plates which are cheap, but super restrictive. No idea how strongly they're enforced, but I like to drive my cars around without worrying about restrictions. Not like I am going to drive my 30+ year old vehicles every day everywhere I go, but who knows.

You can get the Expanded Use antique plates. I have them on my ‘85. I think the renewal is $50/year and the car can be used without any silly restrictions from April through October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i wish NY offered something like that, the expanded use option, but NY sucks. They even specifically prohibit insurers from offering winter garaged vehicle rates.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

This is the sum total of what NJ MVC has to say about historic plates.

Vehicle requirements:•
              Owned as a collector’s item•
              Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes•
              Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way
              Equipped for legal operation on NJ roadways

somewhere in there it says it has to be at least 25 years old too.

Strictly speaking the Towncar doesn't actually qualify but I'd like to see someone figure out why from the 2 pictures I have to provide of the car for the application. They don't actually define what "exhibition" is either, so I figure I'm exhibiting it by displaying the vehicle in it's native environment, driving down the road.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Exactly. "exhibition" is a huge gray area prime for exploitation. In MI, it strictly states that you must only be driving the car to and from a show or parade so it's pretty easy to get burned by that. I put those plates on my Fury and got burned mid road trip.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Virginia changed the law a few years ago to say car shows, maintenance, parts runs, and pleasure use up to 250 miles a day.

Basically, I can’t drive it to work. I suspect it will change again since I do see some abuse of it.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    Exactly. "exhibition" is a huge gray area prime for exploitation. In MI, it strictly states that you must only be driving the car to and from a show or parade so it's pretty easy to get burned by that. I put those plates on my Fury and got burned mid road trip.
                    This is pretty much how IL handles it, too. Since I like to go cruising and sometimes drive the cars to work, it's a pretty crappy option.

Comment

On a separate note, I've been trying to look up some replacement crank pulley bolts, and I can't find what I need. I get the right thread and all, but they're for applications without a spacer between the pulley and balancer, they're too short. The only set I found that are an acceptable length are for GM engines, have a different thread. I wanted to go with an ARP set, since they should stay nice for a long time, but they don't appear to have what I need. Any clue as to where I can get what I need? 'm guessing I might just need to get some generic 3/8-16 bolts, but hopefully in a long-lasting finish that protects against corrosion.

Comment

there isn't a spacer on later ones, but I've never fooled with a 79. Can you tell what grade they are by the markings on the head? I'd figure at least a grade 5. McMaster-Carr will have them if needed. Can get whatever finish or material you like, probably including stainless.

I'm a bit of a McMaster fanboy. Of all the companies I order crap from at work, they're probably my favorite.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, there isn't a factory spacer. All of the aftermarket options are pretty much the same size and I needed a spacer to increase the depth enough to get the pulley into the right spot. I also don't think the factory pulley would sit flush against an aftermarket style balancer anyway. Probably wouldn't be an issue if I installed a full accessory and belt system from someone like CVF Racing. Planning on doing that eventually to at least one of my old Fords. They have something for all three of the different motors in my carbed rides: 351W, 351M, 460.

I'd assume the bolts are at least grade 5, as well. I'll take a look at McMaster-Carr. I haven't had dealings with them in about a decade. Used to order stuff from them in my old job, and also drop off a diesel trailered air compressor over there for annual service. Glad to be done hauling with a pintle hitch, for sure.

Comment

whats different about the aftermarket balancer vs the stock one that needs a spacer added? bit confused here.

Comment

The aftermarket isn't as deep as the factory. Without a spacer the pulley wouldn't be in alignment with the others. I forget what the overall depth is of either balancer, but I needed a 0.875" spacer. I only saw one balancer that didn't require a spacer, but I'll be damned if I'm going to put any Dorman parts on a car if there are other options available.

Comment

I thought Ford used basically the same balancer on everything from the late 60s through the 90s on the 351, or at least the spacing between the pulley flange and the front of the crank was the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X