No announcement yet.

Finally Got the Work Started on the '79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That may be likely, but I'm not using a Ford balancer. It's aftermarket, and it needs a spacer to get the pulley into correct alignment with the other accessories.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
    1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
    1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
    2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I thought Ford used basically the same balancer on everything from the late 60s through the 90s on the 351, or at least the spacing between the pulley flange and the front of the crank was the same.
      My father recently picked up a blueprint engine to put into is 1985 mustang. The balancer needed to be replaced as the one provided put the crank pulley no where close to where it needed to be.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

just makes me wonder what was on it. The master parts manual shows the same balancer used from 84-89 (my manual covers only 80-89) on the 5.0 Mustang. Same one used on every other 5.0 application for the same year range. So far as I know the basic dimensions were the same back to the 60s. The 93 Tbird and SN95 cars got a very different balancer though, that one would have had the pullies much closer to the front of the engine. Very similar to the Explorer actually.

So far as the 351 goes,
        80-81 w/ EEC E0AZ-6316-A
        80 exc H/O exc EEC, before 9/17/79 E0AZ-6316-C
        80/81 Exc H/O, Exc EEC from 9/17/79 D2AZ-6316A
        82-89 E4TZ-6316-B

Interesting that later production '80 models got a 1972 balancer but early ones got a 1980 part. Wonder wtf a 79 got.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I can see a paet number on it, I'll share it. But it might be different from normal because it has a ring on it for the EEC crank sensor.

Comment

I had that balancer when I built the engine for Vicky. It ran the engine on the engine dyno at school, but I didn't go further with it because it didn't come with any spacers and I was dealing with other issues with the engine install (intake and valve cover clearances etc). So that got ripped off and thrown in a box. Years later, I ended up giving the stupid thing to Phil, as he was using it on the Maverick. It is some aftermarket POS that has about 12 holes in the front of it, and 3 different sets of timing marks, and you need a spacer to make the crank pulley fit right. I'm not sure what balancer I have on the 351w. It's a factory style with degree marks at every 90 degrees to tell you where it is in crank rotation, plus

Comment

Ok, so there aren't any useful numbers on the factory balancer. However, when I was looking back at the description for new balancer, I found that it was designed to match the SBF balancers from '63 - '69, and offering a small variety of spacers to help match the depth of original balancers for later model years on those engines. So, all in all, nothing really special here. But I am finding that I need to determine screws for holding the spacer to the balancer. I sent off an email to the manufacturer since the spacer didn't come with any mounting screws, see if they hav any that they can provide or at least inform me of the correct screws to use.

In the meantime I really need to make some time to get the timing cover gasket surface cleaned and to remove the EEC wiring as best as possible. As seems to be typical, my available free time started disappearing once the weather warmed up.

Comment

Took a photo comparing the original balancer to the new aftermarket balancer. Meant to post it a while ago.

Comment

Also, today I got my first batch of new bolts from Totally Stainless. I still need to go out and get measurements on some studs and a couple other bolts. They wanted the measurements just in case anything differed from their typical stock since their focus for 302/351 engines was based on Mustang layouts. Hoping I can get that done this weekend. Have some time off coming up, so with any luck I'll be able to allocate some of it to finally cleaning the gasket surfaces for the timing cover.

Comment

I have some new valve covers and gaskets on order. I discovered that some of the bolts were loose, so I was going to need to replace the gasket anyway. Figured while I'm at it I ought to find some nice covers. Found a pair of restored covers on eBay for about $40. I liked them better than anything I found on either of Summit or Jegs. At least in terms of how they fit with the feel of a Marquis. I have the stud measurements done, so I figure when I send Totally Stainless those measurements, I'll order some new valve cover bolts, too.

I think getting the passenger side cover off will be a challenge, though. I have the exhaust tube for the EGR passing over it quite closely. I have no reason to believe that I can remove the valve cover with this tube in place, and I'm fairly certain that if I can get it out, it likely won't want to go back in. At least the driver side is free from obstruction. I'm also certain that I'll have to unbolt the AC compressor from its mounts and tilt it out of the way. I don't think there ought to be much trouble with unbolting the tube from the EGR. Might need to sprst some WD-40 on both nut/bolt pair. But the kicker will be sealing off the exhaust manifold where the tube mounts. Not sure what would be required for that.

Comment

cork cover gaskets shrink and it makes it seem like the bolts are loose. Tightening them usually just crushes the petrified cork gasket and makes them vomit oil. Also usually distorts the cover so it never seals properly. Big fan of thick aluminum covers and rubber gaskets. Screw those thin stamped steel things. Boring as they are, the EFI lopo steel valve covers are actually quite good from a durability and sealing perspective. Nice thick flanges. Fel Pro Permadry gaskets are the ticket for non-leaky valve covers on a Ford.

is it the EGR tube or thermactor? Was always under the impression EGR passages were internal but your car has stuff I've never seen before.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I ordered the FelPro PermaDry gaskets. Staying as far away from cork gaskets as I can. For now I wanted a simple OEM look under the hood, and these fit the bill. They're actual Ford covers, and almost the same as what's there, but with nice fresh paint (on no weird brackets welded on). Eventually I'll be doing upgrades to the motor, so I guess we'll see what's available that strikes my fancy then. Planning to either get a FiTech (or similar) setup or multiport fuel injection system, see what looks good with whatever system I go with.

And it's definitely the EGR. The air injector parts are on the same side, but I removed all of that already except for the check valves mounted in place. My wagon has the 351M, and that definitely has the exhaust passages within the heads that pass into the intake manifold. This 351W has a EGR valve mount directly on the manifold right behind the carb, with a tube running from the valve, over the valve cover, and then down under the AC compressor and to the front of the exhaust manifold.

I was showing this all to some others and they were thinking it was the air injection instead of the EGR, as well. However, they did guide me to finding plugs for the tube ports. This ought to be handy because I'm also wanting to pull the air injection check valve from my wagon and plug its port in the manifold. The damned thing has started to crumble, and the air pump was already a lost cause when I bought that car four years ago. So, figure if I can get that EGR tube out, I can plug the port, and maybe I can get both air injection check valves pulled from it, too, and plug those ports. The only use for that tube now is as a preheater for the coolant as it passes to the heater core since I can't find a replacement EGR valve (ran a search for the part number, nothing came up, but I can find a replacement for the sensor on it without any trouble).

Last edited by ledzilla; 06-26-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Got the value covers and some breathers. Not sure which breathers I want to use, but I can use the others on one, maybe two, of my other cars.

Last edited by ledzilla; 07-06-2020, 03:33 AM.

Comment

It put the same photo twice, how odd... Added the other photo here.

Comment

Ok, the way the original setup is configured, there's no choke heater tube for the carburetor. It seems like it was a completely electric choke heating setup. The replacement carburetor, though, has a port for the choke heater. Should I just block off that port and swap electric choke heating caps? Or would it be best to try to hook something up?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d go electric. Never liked those choke heater setups.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X