What a shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a shame

I just parted an 88 Town Car with 73K miles. My demo derby friend bought the car cheap because it had a "seized" engine. When I got the car the spark plugs were removed and the starter was in the trunk. The "professional" shop that diagnosed the car couldn't figure out what happened. I cut the air pump belt and spun the engine over by hand. So this nice Town Car is going to be destroyed because of these idiot mechanics. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Smog pump locked up then huh?

Cant plug their scan tool into it they dont know what the hell to do.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

first thing I was always told when dealing with a "seized" engine was remove the belts just in case its some accessory.

The problem with these cars is they're too new for the really old school guys to want to fool with, but too old for most other folks to want to deal with. 1960s engines with 80s fuel injection, its like the worst of all worlds to most people.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        first thing I was always told when dealing with a "seized" engine was remove the belts just in case its some accessory.

The problem with these cars is they're too new for the really old school guys to want to fool with, but too old for most other folks to want to deal with. 1960s engines with 80s fuel injection, its like the worst of all worlds to most people.
        So funny is that's what i love about them. A fun mix of old and new. If they'd done it without the bullshit metric fasteners at random i would like it better.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          So funny is that's what i love about them. A fun mix of old and new. If they'd done it without the bullshit metric fasteners at random i would like it better.
          Did ford ever stop doing that? I noticed that the coolant temp sensor on my '02 was 3/4" the thermostat housing bolts were 10mm. I feel like my '88 was all metric. I feel like a Canadian built panther would be all metric, and a U.S. built one would be all standard. Or they would have just agreed to used one or the other.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Its less metric as time went on. My Continental is the really dumb one. German engine and trans, every bolt on it is metric. Every bolt on the body is metric. Random accessories have standard bolts because its a 1960s alternator and power steering pump. AC compressor is Japanese and metric, water pump is German and metric.

Panthers with the half metric, half SAE bolts are stupid too. Water pump bolts with standard into the block but metric for the accessory brackets. Mix of standard and metric depending on when the specific accessory was made. I hate having to dig into both sets of tools just to work on something.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, same here. Tried and true engine design with decades of history and thus parts that are readily available.. That plus the fact that if the aftermarket part quality ends up sucking more than it does now, you can carb slap it and keep going, no need to throw the whole thing away.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Ne'er a more true word spoken. ^^
                The randomness of Met-Rick vs. SAE just makes me laugh sometimes. The one that really makes me shake my head is the trick fasters I've found on my wifes Taurus. Met-Rick head/SAE thread. Verified with thread pitch gauge and new nuts from my stash. Typically into a plastic part with a threaded insert that is ALSO SAE.. WhatTHE HELL.?
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

GM is notorious for that too. Found that out as a teen when I went to swap the intake on my Firebird, metric headed bolts, SAE thread pitch.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                  X