Hey all, new member here, looking for advice on selling my 04 marq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, new member here, looking for advice on selling my 04 marq

So i figured itd be best asking you guys this question. 6 months ago my grandpa who is 97 gave me his 2004 grand marquis GS with 18k miles on it. He decided it wasnt best to be driving and for everyones safety he gave me his car so he wouldnt be tempted. This car is mint and like a time machine, only things wrong with it is scruffs on front bumper from pulling too close in the garage and hitting the trash can, other issue is maybe 2 door dings. I had intentions to drive it as my daily driver to work but it doesnt get great MPG and i hate putting miles on it so it just sits in the garage. I would love to keep it in the family but i keep this in the garage and the wife and I park our cars outside in the phoenix heat, plus the fact were having a baby in 6 months adds to all this.

I guess my question is, what would be a good number to ask for this car. I know to the right person they would pay over KBB and i want to sell it to that person. I feel i would be giving this car away at KBB's $3999 value and it means more to me than taking that little for it... yet i feel if i got a good amount of money for it, i would be feel better about it knowing the money would be going toward getting set up for our kid and probably help pay for a SUV for my wife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1305207

I’d get the paint less dent guy to fix the door dings and do their touch up magic on the bumper. Do everything you can to make it as like new as possible within reason.

Ask around 50% of the original sticker price and see what happens.

The right buyer is out there that will pay top dollar. But there are very very few buyers in that specific market and there are quite a few of these cars in similar condition, compared to say F150’s. It might take years to find the one buyer.

Or come down on the price and sell quicker.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

KBB is based on averages. Your car sounds like it is not average.
      I agree with Tiggie on having the scuffs and dings cleaned up and a thorough detailing. Take it to a mechanic to check belts, hoses, tires, bushings. I bet they're all perfect, but it's a 15 year old car and the original rubber should at least be checked to make sure it's not about to come apart. Losing a tire or a hose on the drive home would turn off any buyer at any price.

The MSRP on these was 25000 to 30000 depending on the options. They're not rare cars, but they definitely have a following.

I would suggest having the mechanic (or yourself) change the fluids and any rubber that is in deteriorated condition, and start at 7500, needs nothing, bill of health from a mechanic, ready to run. Dealers are asking close to that for cars with less miles and unknown history; this one is no worse than any of those cars and much much better than almost all of them.

Comment

I would put gas stabilizer in it keep it running and maintained good and under a cover jacked up on jack stands. It is your Grandpa's car you may regret selling it one day. But if you have to sell it the above suggestions are solid but do not expect a quick and a high dollar sale.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

You aren’t getting more than about 7000 for it unfortunately. Nice car, but fairly low option load so that hurts it a bit.

As the others said, get a PDR guy to touch up the bad stuff and list it for sale for $7995 or best offer. Someone will snatch it up and pay a premium for the low miles.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Ooops. Just realized I said "Dealers are asking close to that for cars with less miles and unknown history..." when I meant to say "cars with MORE miles and unknown history...".

That's what I get for replying before I finish my first cup of coffee.

Comment

Working...
            X