new guy SW missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new guy SW missouri

Have a 99 grand marquis I rebuilt after it was totaled in 2000 now has only 65000 miles. I am currently putting a 86 grand marquis drive train in a 53 merc. Will be posting in another thread on the build. Have some questions on the erg delete.

Welcome!

I just picked up a '98 Grand Marquis with 63k miles last week. The 53 Merc project sounds fun, and you've come to the right place for box panther info to help with that project.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Cool project.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome the project sounds fun I hope to see lots of pictures.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been hot rod builder for way more years that I like to think about, but this is first time trying to put a factory fuel injected engine in using the factory harness. There are a ton of wires LOL trying to get figured out and remove unnecessary ones.

Comment

Originally posted by larryb346 View Post
            Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been hot rod builder for way more years that I like to think about, but this is first time trying to put a factory fuel injected engine in using the factory harness. There are a ton of wires LOL trying to get figured out and remove unnecessary ones.
            If you can, grab an EVTM manual for the donor car. I've put OBD2 and EEC engines in cars that never had anything approaching modern wiring, and the Ford manuals let you pretty quickly figure out what wires to keep, and what wires to strip, and what wires to use as something else (or to cut and splice, so you can keep sort-the-same-color-wiring in a circuit). I also then use a colored pencil to show the changes, so 5 years down the road I don't have to remember where that added blue wire that snakes through the sill panel and over under the back seat goes.

When I sell a car, it comes with a notebook listing wire changes, maintenance, and of course all the weird changes when I put, say, 2000 Grand Marquis spindles and brakes and 1994 control arms onto the 1986 LTD. I sure don't want someone to scrap the car in 20 years because the parts counter monkey can't get him the right wheel bearing.

Comment

I have the manual, however the wiring in car and manual not exact. Only way I had to know year of car was the prior owner and he said was 86 and had a 86 owners manual that he said belonged to the car he took motor and wiring from. Some of the wiring colors are wrong and some not following the diagrams. Of course all the connectors are no longer where the manuals show. I had all the wiring form a 93 ford 150 and many of the colors are the same so any wiring I have to extend I am using the same color wire from the pickup.Possible I guess car was a 86 and early or late model and not following the 86 wiring and vacuum manual.

Comment

Welcome!
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                X