Variable power steering issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable power steering issue

Does anyone know anything about how the variable power steering works? I swear it’s backwards on my ‘02 all kinds of assist at speed almost too squirrelly, but fairly stiff steering at low speeds/rpms. Almost too heavy while stopped. But there is no slop or play in the steering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have checked the power steering fluid it’s fine and not leaking.

I feel like at some point I read that there’s an EVO “Electronically Variable Orifice” valve in either the pump or the steering box. Not sure how it could be functioning the opposite of how it’s supposed to be functioning.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

there is a pressure regulator thing on the side of the pump. Find the dingus with 2 wires and thats it. Its also got input from a steering wheel speed sensor under the dash, and I think vehicle speed sensor as well. Not sure the valve can really work opposite. As I understand it, voltage is applied to pull the valve open to reduce pressure. Could always unplug it to fix it into full assist mode to see if it changes anything.

possible its alignment issues. Toe-out will make it overly light at speed. Have a look at the tires to see if they are chewing the edges.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check the steering shafts. My 98's intermediate shaft (goes between lower and column) u joint was completely rusted solid and did not move. I replaced that and the lower shaft with new Ford parts from Tasca parts and I had it done pretty quick!

The EVO system is controlled by a module located behind the glove box. It receives input from the vss to determine how much assist to give (higher speeds is less and lower speeds is more assist). There is also an input for the steering wheel rotation sensor which also influences how much assist depending on how fast the wheel is moved. The actual assist amount is changed by a solenoid that is on the pressure output of the power steering pump

Comment

If the solenoid failed in the closed position, then it could be the cause of your issue. You can check by applying power and ground to the solenoid and see if it clicks. You can also see if the steering effort changes while it's energized.

Comment

I'll look into it this weekend when I have time and see what I can find, the alignment seems all right. At least the tires are wearing evenly and it goes straight down the road. Maybe I'm just so used to that shitty rack and pinion setup in the Town Car that I've forgotten what recirculating ball steering should feel like.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

It shouldn't be overly light at speed. I have a 98-02 box in my 86 and the wheel requires some input at highway speed. No variable assist though, just whatever pressure/flow the stock 86 pump gives.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I think it's just a combination of me not being used to the steering setup/car and the roads around here. I've only been driving it to work since I got the car and there's one curve on the way there where the steering feels overly light at speed. Today I had to go on a 75-80 mile trip and it felt pretty normal, I tried to pay close attention to the steering. Pretty sure the problem is just in my head at this point. Everytime I get in a car I feel like there's something wrong with it even if there's not, as if I'm looking for an issue without realizing it.

​

Comment

other thing, are the tires over-inflated? That makes things light too.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  other thing, are the tires over-inflated? That makes things light too.
                  If anything there a smidge lower than what a lot of people would run. I like to keep them right at 32-34 psi.

​

Comment

Working...
                  X