Which lower intake with ho upper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lower intake with ho upper?

I’m not looking for 400 hp but I’d like to make a little more than factory. Right now I have a pretty much stock 87 mgm with an ho upper intake and lincoln logs. I’m looking to get a better flowing lower intake and I have an explorer tb, lightning tb spacer and stock dual exhaust components to install. I know Holly used to make one that fit the stock upper but as far as I know its no longer in production.

Also while we’re sort of on the subject, is the f150 cam from say a 92-96 any better than the stock cam? Would an explorer cam be a good choice? I know ho cams are decent but they’re really made for a 3k pound coupe and not our land yachts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Systemax1 lower is what you're thinking of, and it's probably been out of production for 20 years now. I sold mine off years ago to a member here actually. Which in hindsight should have probably kept, since I've seen guys asking $300+ for them on coral (turbo guys love them with a box upper I guess). They still exist out there, but are quite rare now. There is no other option other than porting the stocker. This dude is some mustang legend for intakes. http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/ Email him for a quote.

been a year, but he may still have this one.... https://www.corral.net/threads/holle...upper.2486286/
    Last edited by JeffBoudah; 03-16-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

was going to mention tmoss as well.

I am running an explorer lower that was ported by him on my Vic. I dont know much of anything about porting but I had his ported one on hand and another explorer lower to compare it to and there was definitely a noticeable difference.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The Holley piece is awesome but good luck finding one. It works though. Ported stock lower will do the same thing and if you can't find one, you can definitely find a stock one to be sent out.

Tmoss did my Explorer lower. No complaints and the price was reasonable. Turnaround was pretty fast too. I want to say I had it back in about a week.

truck cam and Explorer cam are the same so far as I know. Its like a super stock cam. Similar power profile, just more of it. Completely done by about 4500 rpm. I used to run one. Would be a reasonable pairing with a stock tall gear rear.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm ok so its either port what I got or get another intake. I might go that route eventually. For now I don’t feel its worth it to pull the stocker to get ported. I’m familiar with tmoss, not personally but hes a legend on a few boards. I’ve been on mustang boards since I got my first one.

Do you think 3.55s would be too agressive with an exploder or truck cam and a high rev governor?

Comment

That would probably be a perfect match actually. 4.10s would probably just nuke the tires everywhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have 4.10s now, talk about overkill. Steep gears coupled with a low redline makes for a not so great car.

Comment

I have 4.30s. Unless you accelerate like you mean it every time, it will shift into OD at 25 or so.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Do you have a shift kit? Even with my Baumann it’ll still stack shifts like you said but it at least does hold out third.

Comment

I can tell you from experience with a Systemax 1, it makes a lot more difference with an otherwise stock HO engine than you'd believe. It helps with the low end lack of torque considerably. I don't rightly know what it would do with a stock or a truck cam down low but it should extend the workable RPM range a bit.

My car has always run a 3.55, it worked OK with the Explorer cam but I wanted more. Honestly it would have probably been fine even with a 3.27 rear. 4.10's aren't real useful honestly. The engine is screaming along at highway speed and sucking fuel. Fun if you rarely break 60 but useless otherwise. Should make for a bitchin burnout box tho.

not sure I'd pair a high rev gov with a truck cam. My trans will do a WOT shift about 5k, but past 4500 or so it was mostly just making noise. Realistically a WOT shift point about 4600-4800 with that cam is about as high as you'd want to go.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X