347 now won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

347 now won't start

I was supposed to go tomorrow and get the supercharger tune done, but I did something 2 weeks ago and suddenly it won't run, I put on the oil pump that this motor came to me with(Melling 68A).
    Since that was one change I made between the last time it ran, yesterday I put back the standard Ford oil pump back in.
    I have a real bad misfire that is creating a backfire in the exhaust and it's very difficult to get running at all.
    It's down on power since half the cylinders aren't firing...I have swapped TFI modules with tested good ones, swapped the cap and rotor, swapped the computer(along with the chip) and it doesn't help at all.
    What are the other things I can check?

I have spark(checked with a tester), I certainly have fuel(constant 40psi at rail and STRONG fuel smell after trying to start)
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Hows the timing? Will it run with spout disconnected? Have you verified cam timing on cylinder 1 to ensure its correct? How about firing order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Firing order is right, I've triple checked.
      I will double check my timing mark on the balancer with #1...it's raining today though.
      Spout on or off doesn't seem to matter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Might need to reduce fuel pressure so you can artificially lean it out until you get that tune done. Injector pulse may just be too wide right now at start. Or swap smaller injectors until you get to the shop and swap back.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The only thing that changed from 2 weeks ago to now is the oil pump? That won't have anything to do with it, but timing definitely could. Might want to bring #1 to TDC and verify the distributor position. If there is any doubt about the marks on the balancer, you can put a screwdriver in through the plug hole to feel for TDC on the piston to verify. My usual way of doing initial distributor drop is to set the engine to 10 BTDC and install a cap with the #1 tower removed. Make sure the leading edge of the rotor is just at the opening where the #1 tower would be. That should get you close enough to start and tweak with a light. If you don't have lots of available rotation on the distributor in both directions, its off a tooth.

If there were other changes involved, thats a different story. If the injectors were changed to larger than stock without re-programming the ECM, or if the tune for the ECM got reset somehow you'll be way over-fueled and it will probably just foul the plugs.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys...I AM a goddamn moron, that is all.

I looked up the firing order on LMR, I had the other firing order on my distributor.

If you ever see me anywhere, I give everyone the right to hit me upside the head with whatever you can grab.[emoji90]

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
              Thanks guys...I AM a goddamn moron, that is all.

I looked up the firing order on LMR, I had the other firing order on my distributor.

If you ever see me anywhere, I give everyone the right to hit me upside the head with whatever you can grab.[emoji90]

Trying to run it on a LoPo firing order? Oops.

Don't feel too bad, we all have those days.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Simple fix. Good luck with getting it tuned Tom.

I have the lopo order ingrained in my head for some reason. I dont even own a lopo lol. Got to start learning the proper firing order.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I remember putting together a 351 once. Wired it up with the correct 351 firing order. It wouldn't go. Realized I'd run them clockwise instead of counter-clock. fixed it, still wouldn't run. Found out it had a 302 cam in it. Third time around she went.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll try it again tomorrow, we'll see...I still have to get the piping set up for the supercharger.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Realized I'd run them clockwise instead of counter-clock.
                      I am guilty of this many times.

Comment

Can't even count how many times i've stabbed a distributor in 180 off.

Comment

At least it was an easy fix.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X