1.7 Roller Rockers with lopo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.7 Roller Rockers with lopo?

Has anyone ever done 1.7 roller rockers on a lopo cam?

I was just wondering this because I'm looking to do basic bolt on modifications to my 89 crown vic that but I'm wondering if having the stock camshaft with 1.7 roller rockers makes any difference whatsoever or if it would be better to swap in the HO camshaft.

Thoughts?

-Colin
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

A ghost!

LOL, no idea about the rockers or cam.

That's not an Aero TC. Is it crystal blue metallic or silver? RR thread?

Edit: Oh, I see the RR thread now.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-18-2020, 09:50 AM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
      Has anyone ever done 1.7 roller rockers on a lopo cam?

I was just wondering this because I'm looking to do basic bolt on modifications to my 89 crown vic that but I'm wondering if having the stock camshaft with 1.7 roller rockers makes any difference whatsoever or if it would be better to swap in the HO camshaft.

Thoughts?

-Colin
      There was 1 lopo that I know of that had 1.7 rockers. That was the boulevard cruiser (89 colony park). It ran great. Also had HO intake, and stock mustang shorty headers and an exhaust. If you change the cam, you will need to change the computer and at least the heads. And then you'd basically have an 86 mustang HO.

Comment

Works, but honestly doesn't do all that much.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you put on 1.7 roller rockers, will they clear the stock valve covers or do you need to get taller valve covers? And if so, what height of a valve cover do you need?
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
            If you put on 1.7 roller rockers, will they clear the stock valve covers or do you need to get taller valve covers? And if so, what height of a valve cover do you need?
            Stock covers work fine.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

OK thank you.
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                There was 1 lopo that I know of that had 1.7 rockers. That was the boulevard cruiser (89 colony park). It ran great. Also had HO intake, and stock mustang shorty headers and an exhaust. If you change the cam, you will need to change the computer and at least the heads. And then you'd basically have an 86 mustang HO.
                My 91 Battle Wagon had all of the above in lopo form. Still ran a 16.3 @ 275k miles on the old girl.

Moral of the story, unless you already own them, or get them cheap, and are doing valve cover gaskets, not worth it. if your doing a HO intake/TB/bored EGR spacer, and want to replace the VC gaskets, a great time to throw them on.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

agreed, I wouldn't go out and buy them just to try and make power on an otherwise stock engine.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've looked into these myself for other engines. I've found that if you are buying new, there's not much 'bang for the buck' here. Way too expensive for the outcome. I don't know if that's the same case here with the Ford engine's but I would imagine so.
                    Last edited by ZackN920; 03-26-2020, 01:55 AM.
                    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

I bought a set of Crane ones for an HO a long while ago. About all I really got was a bit of extra noise. Eventually it was a lot of extra noise as they wore out. I have a set of Scorpions now. Had them from another set of heads I'd bought and when I realized how slapped out the Crane parts were, I stuck them on because I needed something to make the valves open. I had them and they fit under my valve covers. My backup plan was to clean up a set of stock stamped rockers and bolt that together.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I bought a set of Crane ones for an HO a long while ago. About all I really got was a bit of extra noise. Eventually it was a lot of extra noise as they wore out. I have a set of Scorpions now. Had them from another set of heads I'd bought and when I realized how slapped out the Crane parts were, I stuck them on because I needed something to make the valves open. I had them and they fit under my valve covers. My backup plan was to clean up a set of stock stamped rockers and bolt that together.
                        Odd because I had to clearance the covers and the end rockers so they didn't hit. Maybe the edelbrock heads are different. I know the crane rockers will clear no problem.

Comment

i was expecting problems and was just happy when it worked. for all I know its missing by the thickness of a sheet of paper, but I don't really care.

Comment

Working...
                          X