To much fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To much fuel

My 82 continental is getting lots of fuel, and i was wondering how to test the map sensor and the coolant temp sensor. Also if anyone else has any suggestions. Fuel regulator has been replaced and injectors cleaned and tested pretty good

Not familiar with EEC III but here’s a couple things:

On the ECT - assuming it’s the same as the later ones, check the resistance between the two pins compared to the resistance values found at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC%20...e%20Sensor.htm

On the MAP, you might be able to unplug and see if the system defaults to a usable value that makes the car run but maybe not run well. Should be enough to tell you if it’s the problem or not.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'm also not real familiar with EEC-III. Beyond making sure you have vacuum at the MAP and no vac leaks, what might help is picking up an engine and emissions diag manual. That will have specific test procedures by symptom for all sorts of problems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ford-C...0AAOSwg0debXS4

for 14 bucks its not a bad thing to have.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I unplugged the connecter to the coolant temp sensor and the map sensor, it ran poorly when i did both, i was wonder is my egr valve could be the issue, also i do have those books around here somewhere

Comment

if the EGR is stuck open it will run all kinds of messed up. I think 82 has a cooler under the valve. Would be worth pulling that to make sure the valve can completely close and verify its not getting vacuum with the engine running.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just got time between saving a corvette and buying my 94, was looking for bad vacuum hoses and the second picture that isnt the tv cable bushing is it? And the first picture thats the egr cooler and on top is the egr valve right?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes and yes.

It looks like your TV bushing is missing. Need to get one quick! I would not drive it without a bushing in there, or at least wired up so the rod doesn’t fall off the stud. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTAN...EAAOSw~vpZ~h8U
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Alright sweet the car wont be moving for awhile, i ordered that bushing, and hope maybe that egr valve/ cooler is the problem miss drive that car!

Comment

You can check if your EGR valve is getting vacuum properly by putting a vacuum gauge on the vacuum line from the EGR solenoids.
                  If you have a similar EGR setup as me, the EGR is controlled by 2 valve cover mounted solenoids, control & vent:
                  They are the 2 middle ones and look like this:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190714_104604.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1286796
                  I'm holding the line to the EGR valve.

If you suspect the EGR valve, you should take it off and test if it's sticky or leaking. I found easiest to spray carb cleaner or whatever into the larger port and see if it leaks past the piston.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_191127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1286797

When you get your TV bushing in place, you could go for a drive with the EGR valve unhooked, the line plugged and the EGR solenoids unplugged. If you car is running that bad, were it the cause, it should make a difference.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Got the cooler and egr valve off, egr valve moves freely and no brake clean comes out the valve, on the cooler brake clean goes in on side and come out the other.

Comment

are the vacuum lines to the MAP good? Does the EGR get constant vacuum when the engine is running? It should not.

Comment

I do have vacuum to the map and the engine ran worse when unplugged, ill get everything back together and check for vacuum at the egr, on start while idle it should have 0 vacuum?

Comment

correct, 0 vacuum at idle.

Comment

It has no vacuum at idle, for a better example of what it does, it will drive fine down the highway, then sometimes stalls a stop signs (the fuel regulator fixed most of the stop stalls) and in reverse it like to stall out

Comment

The bushing for the EFI cars is the same one for the carb/CFI cars?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X