• Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 LTD wagon with less thasn 5K miles!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2020-03-21
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

What a beauty,a time capsule. I love that color and the duraweave fabric. Price so far isn't that unreasonable.

Comment

I actually wanted to buy one of these as my first car. '77 with a 400. Not nearly as nice though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In another forum I frequent we talked about this one. I’m usually not a fan of green, but that’s a nice wagon.

I’d rock it.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

It is a nice looking car.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I do like the green and woodgrain.

Now that seat belt design... I guess it worked but sure is different. I suppose there are two retractors, one lower and one upper?
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looks like the 83 Mark VI ones i have in the Towncar. Dual retractors, 10x as annoying. If you don't pull it evenly one or the other will lock up and you have to reset and try again.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had some problems recently with my lower retractor (driver side) after my mom got her silk scarf caught in the passenger side. You literally have to yank/pull the entire seatbelt out far enough around/away from your body to get it to the buckle or you have to fully retract it and try again. It was taking 2-5 minutes to slowly wind/feed the lower belt in by pushing it with fingers down in the mechanism. It just suddenly screwed up and fixed itself 10x better than it was before at one point after about 2 weeks of this. Still have to pull it all the way out (farther than it needs to latch) to get it to buckle.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

yeah it sucks. If not for the fact the belts match the interior I'd put the 86 belts back in.

Comment

Ad says it sat for 25 years. How do the seals hold up on these older ones, is it going to start puking fluids on the first road trip?
                    96 MGM
                    sigpic
                    Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

Of course. Cork gaskets from 1978, they're petrified at this point. The entire driveline will want to be re-sealed if you want to keep the juices on the right side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Looks like the 83 Mark VI ones i have in the Towncar. Dual retractors, 10x as annoying. If you don't pull it evenly one or the other will lock up and you have to reset and try again.
                        Yep, I have the same belts in my '78. You get used to pulling them straight out and over instead of just pulling them to the buckle. But yeah, if you don't do it right, one half locks and you have to re-do it. My wife hates the seat belts in that car.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Of course. Cork gaskets from 1978, they're petrified at this point. The entire driveline will want to be re-sealed if you want to keep the juices on the right side of things.
                        Mine are still going strong and everything is bone dry underneath but I'd assume that definitely wouldn't be the norm. I also only really drive mine out east every other week or so and to and from the grocery store. My '89 which gets the most miles leaks like crazy everywhere at this point. I was hoping to pull the engine and redo the gaskets and such this year but the whole virus thing has put things on hold.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

~$21,000 for that smog era turd??!!

Yeah, yeah, she's nice and all but good god. Powered by an anemic 351 too.

Who is spending money (especially that kind of scratch) right now anyway?

I'd rather have this:
                          https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/...089539062.html

Solid car, exterior shows some wear but you can drive it anywhere and it would blow the doors right off that '78. Plus, sequential taillights and bullet nose for the win.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            ~$21,000 for that smog era turd??!!

Yeah, yeah, she's nice and all but good god. Powered by an anemic 351 too.

Who is spending money (especially that kind of scratch) right now anyway?

I'd rather have this:
                            https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/...089539062.html

Solid car, exterior shows some wear but you can drive it anywhere and it would blow the doors right off that '78. Plus, sequential taillights and bullet nose for the win.
                            Looks like a deal to me. Last year of the higher compression 429. I think 99% of those got their engines pulled and scrapped/derbied/left to rot.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

WOW!, it sold for $45k

Unbelievable

88 Country Squire
                              86 Colony Park, non-op'd
                              89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment