No announcement yet.

Cruise control w/carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it's amazing there are still some 70s cars for sale running, back then 100,000 miles was pretty much the death knell. Just last year prices on 70s cars were still pretty cheap but they seem to be spiking all of a sudden.

I'd go 60s but Lincolns were unibody then and i hear the vacuum windows, etc are a frig. Trying to keep things as simple as i can. Might end up with a 50s shoe box now that i know i can add cruise to the driveshaft without much hassle. I hear those old transmissions weigh a ton tho, would be hard to find someone around here to rebuild one, let alone pull it out. Plus seats back then didn't have headrests, i need a headrest. Hard to beat the 70s for styling, they had it all.
    96 MGM
    sigpic
    Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

Just as a note, here's a link to the dealer supplied cruise parts. Look at the picture; these are all the parts you need for any Ford from about 1983 to 1995 that doesn't have cruise (or to repair the cruise on a car that didn't have it integrated in the ECM).
      Note this is for a Tempaz, but the differences are in wire and hose lengths, mounting brackets, and the part numbers on the servo and the controller; it won't fit a Crown Vic but if you changed the bits around to where they physically fit, it would operate. Also note that the speed sensor mounts on the back of the speedometer; if it physically fit behind a Panther dash it would work (but it would be a pain to get to).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-For...gAAOSwwD1eAlHF

The switches are all the same electrically, only the plastic is different. Use the one you like.
      The speed sensors are all the same electrically, only the mounting location (speedometer head, speedometer cable behind dash, or at transmission) is different. Use the one you can reach (I prefer the transmission because it's easy to reach and it's the cheapest new).
      The control box is the same but may have different programming based on the engine/car combo?.
      The servos are different mainly because of the brackets to mount them, but may have different orifices to control rate of acceleration on different car/engine combos. A serious mismatch could result in sluggish acceleration or flooring the pedal at the slightest slowdown.
      I suspect that if the engine/vehicle weight are similar, the servo and controller will do just fine.
      Again, the switches and sensors are the same (even the same as cars where it's built into the ECM, so if your ECM loses cruise function, or you switch to an ECM without the cruise function, just move the wires over to a standalone and you're done).

Comment

^^ what he said, its just not that complicated of a system. If you can physically attach and mount the stuff, the electrical side of it really isn't any big deal. Power, ground, 2 wires to the switches, 2 to the speed sensor, and 5 or something to the servo.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          ^^ what he said, its just not that complicated of a system. If you can physically attach and mount the stuff, the electrical side of it really isn't any big deal. Power, ground, 2 wires to the switches, 2 to the speed sensor, and 5 or something to the servo.
          2 grounds actually. Ground is accomplished through the brake lamps and vss-. 87+ is the 3rd brake light specifically, which is why cruise disengages on 86 and down when the hazards are on. and doesn't work with conventional LED bulbs. Remember all the crap we went through trying to get my cruise to work only to find out it had no ground signal.

Comment

ah right, the brake switch stuff.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X