Cross Country First Gen SHO Adventure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Damn, what a trip! Looks like some real fun going cross country. Outside of the small issues, that's pretty nice that it cruised back with ease. I'm sure some other people would be more wary before going 3000mi like that.
    Nice to see a clean Gen I Taurus SHO. I'll never get tired of that era Taurus and Sable. Looks like you got a real nice one.
    Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. Seems like you blew out the carbon in the motor. Good car. The USA has some beautiful country. Driving tired is not a good idea though. I did it in my younger years, so I understand the thought process. Seems like you had reasonably good weather. No storms to outpace.
    Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
    Great story! I’ve driven through Montana before, it’s a beautiful state.

Nice car! Great color on those IMO.
    Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Appreciate the write up. Fun to read.
    Originally posted by sly View Post
    Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    “being a superior 3 pedal car” truer words have never been spoken.

Nice find.
    Originally posted by packman View Post
    Thanks for sharing that adventure. I enjoyed reading that. LOL, my limit is 20 miles; though, that was with cars in not-so-great shape when I got them; and with only a fraction of the mechanical skills that you have.
    Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
    Agreed with the others - Ill always have a fondness for the 1st gen Taurus/Sable platform. They were nice cars. And what an incredible trip. PacNW and most of Cali are great places to buy pristine cars with negligible if any rust. Hope to visit one day post covid-19. Enjoyed the trip writeup with one of the top "sleepers" of the 90s.
    Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
    Cool trip!
    Thanks guys! The NorthWest is beautiful! Next time, we want to do the southern route instead.
    The trip itself was certainly interesting. The old SHO honestly did quite well, the collapsed rear springs and blown out rear struts were the worse of our problems.
    https://youtu.be/W1Fbql_ZSWs

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Love the zip tie repair to get cross country.

Is the Benz a 240D or a 300D. Both are slow as death without a turbo, the 240 is just a little worse. 2.4 4 cyl vs 3.0 5 cyl. I had the wastegate actuator fall off the Conti once, all I will say is "no".
    Non turbo - 300D, auto. Absolutely gutless, the conti would run circles around it, and thats saying something. It had some old 3 sp auto in it that shifted at some given point in time, pretty much when it felt convenient for it. Though, for a 70's era car, I can't be too crucial of it.
    https://youtu.be/EiOtzMIfUek
    Last edited by pantera77; 03-28-2020, 12:17 AM.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks for the Oly, and good to see you and RyPry again.

The 04LX is almost ready for its new home...so get ready.
      '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
      formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        =-)

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          =-)
          Agreed lol

That engine always had a great sound to it. I've only ever ridden around in one in the Atlanta Assembly Plant parking lot like 10 years ago lol

One of the employees at the factory was also an avid Taurus fan. He was able to get us onto the property on the weekend. During the last year or two of operation, we were able to have a meet in the plant's parking lot! One time we had I think 16 to 20 cars there, it was pretty cool. Atlanta, Wixom, and St Thomas were some of the best manufacturing facilities under the Ford umbrella - look what happened to them...
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
            Agreed lol

That engine always had a great sound to it. I've only ever ridden around in one in the Atlanta Assembly Plant parking lot like 10 years ago lol

One of the employees at the factory was also an avid Taurus fan. He was able to get us onto the property on the weekend. During the last year or two of operation, we were able to have a meet in the plant's parking lot! One time we had I think 16 to 20 cars there, it was pretty cool. Atlanta, Wixom, and St Thomas were some of the best manufacturing facilities under the Ford umbrella - look what happened to them...
            Wonder if they will re-open to make medical supplies ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              Wonder if they will re-open to make medical supplies ?
              They bulldozed the factory in early 2009 after Ford stopped making the 2007 model year Taurus in (October 2006). It's now a Porsche HQ w/test track. They even renamed the road from something related to Ford (I Forget) to Porsche something. How times change...
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Working...
              X