PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.0 Nearly stalling...

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

diag it first. no point in dropping the tank if there is nothing wrong with it.

The line in the tank is a 6" piece of rubber hose. It clamps on. When the pump hanger is out the hose and how to change it is pretty obvious. Just get hose rated for in-tank use. I don't know the number offhand but its apparently different than regular EFI hose.

running pressure with the vac line on the regulator is 30-35, no vac line 40-45.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Your symptoms sound like mine, I know my FPR is bad, and there are a few vacuum leaks. I was going to replace the FPR but it wasn't possible to pull it without also pulling the upper intake. I'm swapping the engine in the not too distant future so I just put the FPR on the shelf to use with the new engine and I'll put up with the issues for now.

Oh yea, I'll diagnose it first. I hate dropping gas tanks. Though this car don't look so bad compared to the others I've done.
    For some reason I was thinking of a metal line. Rubber line is easy for replacing.
    Thanks for the running pressure specs.

I still haven't done much with it yet. I've been busy with work and have a lot of other projects lined up before the car. As long as the car keeps running good, than it can wait. So the fpr can't be pulled without pulling the intake? Good thing I haven't pulled it yet!

Thanks guys for the info and help so far.

Mini update to this. I don't remember all of what I've done since the last post but the car has been doing better. I did a little more diagnosis and didn't find anything too far off.

I finally changed out the fuel filter last week. In 33 years and almost 100k miles, I don't think it has EVER been changed. It was stuck good, rusty and had some weight to it when I pulled it out. The new one is so much lighter, don't know if it's a lighter filter or if the old one is just full of junk. Here's what I do know though. After changing that filter I no longer have to double prime (with the key) before starting. It starts just fine- for now.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-98k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

the others...
    1926 Dodge Brothers Business Sedan- 212ci I4/3 speed/crank start
    1987 Dodge Dakota- 3.9/A999/3.90/2wd (storage)
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-AMC360/727/NP229/3.08/2" lift(daily)
    1994 GMC Burban L05 350/4L60e/241/3.42
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/AW4/231/3.73 (limbo)

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I usually dump the old filters out into a can just to see what sort of crap comes out.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12