No announcement yet.

5.0 Nearly stalling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, sounds like the general consensus points to the pump assembly. So... What's the best or oem equivualant pump that everybody likes using? I don't like dropping gas tanks so doing it once and being done with it would be the best option to me.

Same question for FPR's too. Since I probably wont be able to test it further than I allready have. I don't have any "dummy plugs" and I sure as hell ain't closing off a 30+ year old fuel line.

Meanwhile, I'll get to pulling the plugs one of these days to take a health check. When's to best time to do this when checking for a leaky injector? After it's sat awhile? Ran? Prime a few times then pull???
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

My experience with a bad FPR adds the following: Car takes excessively long to crank, but when it fires up and runs, it runs peachy. That's what Ashley's old '89 did. If memory serves me right, the SEFI stuff is supposed to be 35 to 40 psi. 55-60 sounds like GM Vortec pressure specs.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Also - this was happening to an old 87 of ours. We assumed it was the Fuel pressure regulator/fuel pressure, then we thought it was the idle air control value/idle air control valve. Turned out to the the temperature sensor near the thermostat.

This is actually the video I used back in 2010.

-- https://youtu.be/QyzjevTPAss?list=FL...fX2739PjktcPeQ

Not sure if it helps.
        Kyle

Comment

30-35 psi at idle with vacuum on the regulator, 40-45 psi with no vacuum on the regulator. Key-on prime pressure at 40 psi sounds totally normal to me. Its the fact that it climbs slow and drops like a rock that I'd say is the problem, not the pressure.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey guy's, got a quick question.

Are these fuel tanks supposed to have some sort of padding on them, for between the tank and the trunk?

I think I've read somewhere someone saying they did, but my tank has no sign of having anything on it. I just dropped it today after work to replace the fuel pump. I'm tired of the loud pump and tired of cycling the key 3-5 times just so the car starts like normal.

So, was there supposed to be anything or is it just metal on metal contact?
            1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Not that I’m aware of. And I wouldn’t put anything in there as it could hold moisture and rot the floor/body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the quick answer! Wonder where I saw that at.

... Doesn't matter, all that matters is that I put it back together as it was.

Comment

There was an insulator pad that fit on top of the tank on some models. I had one on my 2 door 82 MGM and another box body. I have seen them still for sale. They are of thin material. My 90 CV(police) did not have one.

Comment

My 86 had nothing when I replaced that tank.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guy's. Maybe I read about that insulator your talking about mainemantom.

Well, my car had nothing up there other than the hose mounts. Everything seemed to go well. Took longer than expected, but oh well. Had to change some hardware for the straps. I think the old pump was the original. It had "Ford" labeled hose clamps on it. Physically, the old pump was in wonderful shape. The little hose on the inside was not cracked and everything looked good. Was also suprised that the tank looked perfect inside! I was expecting some rust or debris on the inside, but no! The car finally has 100k on it now. Hopefully this Carter fuel pump will go another 100k.

Well, after all is done the fuel pressure shoots to 30 something from 0psi at the flick of the key. If it's still got pressure in the system it'll go straight to 40psi. It actually holds pressure too! In over half an hour it still had 20+ psi on the guage.
                      When started and ran, it has around 32psi at idle. It shoots up a bit when the engine is revved and does not dip below that 32psi. Hopefully my starting problem is solved and I can keep some of the wear off of my ignition switch. No more cycling. This pump is also much quieter than the original. I can't really hear it when behind the car. I actually have to kneel down by the rear tires to hear it. I'll be driving it more and hopefully won't have any more fuel related issues. Now I need to get into the bottom of the trans... Had a big wet stain form on the floor when the car was sitting in my shop space.
                      Last edited by ZackN920; 06-19-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Good job! I recently replaced the pump in my 87 too. The pump in there (I assume a stock unit) was working but would get loud and I needed to cycle the key a few times too. Now it starts after one or two revolutions. And I think the pump was oem. If so that thing lasted a good 35 years (late 86 build) and over 200k miles. These cars were built to last.

I got an airtex pump, I hope it lasts a while but I’ve noticed that it gets noisy when hot like the old one did. Not a big deal but it bugs me since it’s new, and so is the fuel filter.

Comment

Thanks! And good job to you too!

Wow, 200k and still going! They must be built to last. Just age catches up to them and it seems the check valve fails. Too bad ya can't just replace that. My car is a late 1986 build as well.

I love how fast it starts now. Same as you, a revolution or 2 and it come to life. So far, after driving it the last week and 200ish miles, all is well. I think it might have gotten a little louder since the first day, but I'm not quite sure on that. That's just from the drivers seat point of view. Maybe I'm just paranoid... I haven't actually gone to the back of the car while running since that day. Usually when I'm not in the car, I shut it off.

I was totally unsure what pump to get. I tried finding out what people liked but couldn't find a solid answer. I was making a big order on Rockauto and with what they had available, it was going to be either the Airtex, or the Carter pump. Ended up going with the Carter. Hopefully we both have good results with each brand in the long run.

Seams odd to me that yours gets louder the longer it runs. Mine seems pretty consistent, as far as I can tell. It shouldn't be working any harder unless you had some junk in the tank that the sock sucks up, then lets off of when shut off.

Comment

I could be wrong about the mileage but it’s hard to believe it has 170k after my buddy used it as a daily, a kid had it before him and who knows before that. Still could be 170k though. Either way it’s still impressive.

Yeah it’s like sometimes it gets loud and other times it doesn’t. Either way it seems fine but yeah I agree hopefully we both made the right choice of pumps.

Comment

Working...
                            X