Explorer/GT40 parts vs HO conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    my real objection to non-OEM is serviceability. Thats why all the non-stock crap on my car is stock for something else. If some sensor barfs, I don't want to be stuck waiting on a part that has to come from Holley.
    The holley Sniper EFI uses all its sensors/parts used on stock vehicles, so its not proprietary. Just as a note. Using stock computers and FI systems, and dealing with the nightmare of tuning them...no thanks, not ever again
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Well, il give you my setup since it seems to fall in this category.things that are currently installed on my 88 town car. Ported upper and lower explorer intakes, 65mm explorer tb. a9p computer. Mass air conversion. 3.55 trac lock. Mustang headers into duals. 19lb injectors. Stock cam. stock heads. Recent trans rebuild. It seems to get hot quick. oil light comes on especially at stop lights. Goes thru batteries. Needs a 3g alternator i think.

Comment

does that actually perform better than stock? The heads and the cam are a huge bottleneck. Your fuel trim would also be screwy since the injector firing order does not match the engine firing order. Half the cylinders would have the fuel puddling on the back of the intake valve rather than firing when the valve opens. An Explorer cam would be a much better fit there.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It does oddly. Not great but much better than it did. It needs an oil pressure sending unit. That comp xe 258 should be fine right? Tho that would call for the change in heads huh. Should i do that and the gt-40 heads at one time? Im still looking into how to set up the heads. Behive springs different pushrods 1.6 rockers right?

Comment

Should be OK, its what I run on mine. I'd definitely do the heads with the cam. The intake has to come off for both, no point in doing it twice. Pushrods are a maybe, measure to confirm. I needed longer ones but some people have gotten by without. I had no preload with stock pushrods. Stock are 6.25, mine are 6.3. I'm running 1.7 rockers but I had them. 1.6 are probably the right ones to use. No idea what springs to use, my E7's dont have stock ones but I honestly have no clue whats on them.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I managed to get my hands on a set of standard GT40 heads and cam from a '94 Cobra. My plan is to get a V6 Mustang 4R70W and go with a Megasquirt computer along with a transmission controller. It'll take a while to get to that point, but I think it's a better option than rolling the dice on speed density.
              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

here are a few things i was planning to do a long time ago, and probably will be doing with my new rig. I personally never saw a reason to mess with mass air, so my solution to the explorer top end swap recipe i had put together included a mustang da1 ecu, i also found a tuner in rochester ny who tunes them, adam marrer from pops racing. If you have the right stuff he can even do a remote tune.
                heres my list.
                explorer intake, 65mm tb
                lightning egr spacer, or custom made( im working on doing a casting at some point)
                19 lb 4 hole injectors to start, but 24 after tune.
                comp camp x258
                alexs parts hardened push rods
                alexs parts drop in springs for gt40 heads
                pushrod checker is cheap*
                Mustang da1- not sure but pretty sure the mark vii d9s is the same , but diff tuning for tourqe.
                but yeah based on research should run dandy on speed density just fine.
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                X