Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve spring upgrade for stocker roller block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve spring upgrade for stocker roller block?

got the block from my 88 Merc sitting on a stand, slowly piecing it together. its nothing fancy.. all junkyard parts thrown together with new gaskets and such, but before i get any farther i need valve springs and pushrods. i have a length checker for the pushrods so im good there. any particular brand suggestion for those?

After doing a bunch research here and a few other ford forums about springs, the best ive found is "stock one suck" and "crane makes good set" but didnt find a part# or any recommendations anywhere. its not race setup, but ill be using it for some spirited driving and if the stockers are crap to begin with, i dont think ill be wanting to reuse my originals. as far as the valvetrain is concerned, i have a cam from a 2000 explorer, new FRPP roller lifters, stock rockers. ill be getting new pushrods, valve seals and springs. i also lapped the valves.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

The bigger question is what RPM will it shift at? The Explorer valve springs are fine for an Explorer cam, but if you try and get it over about 5000 rpm it will get very unhappy. I've driven a car with an all-new Explorer engine that had been fitted with an HO cam and no other mods. High rev governor in the AOD, and it would valve float every shift if you stood on it. It was shifting right around the 5000 mark. Went like a scalded dog until just before the shift point though.

not sure the part number but I think 86VickyLX knows it. reasonably sure he's used it on his GT40 headed engines.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The car is getting a t5 swap, so I anticipate higher rpms. I'm not dumping the clutch or trying launch by any means, but I'd like to rev it out on the on-ramps if you get me. There run of the mill e6's that I'm smoothing a tad and freshening up. Wont be a power build but ideally I'd like to not float the valves at the top of every gear. Was there ever a stiffer factory spring in later model 302s vs what is my 88 spec heads?
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

i thought you were talking Explorer heads too. Honestly its entirely possible that between the Explorer cam and the E6 heads it can't move enough air to out-rev the stock springs. Explorer cam is done around 4500, the E6 probably aren't good for more than that either.

if you really have to you can change the springs with the engine in the car. Its not a ton of fun, but not exactly difficult either. I did mine in a day using just a basic spring compressor from the parts store and a modified compression tester from Harbor Freight. I was doing valve seals, but same work to do springs.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Im definitely replacing mine while the engines out, So in that case, assuming stockers are acceptable.. should I use springs from the explorer application or from the marquis?

Comment

might be like asking which is worse, a turd sandwich on wheat or rye. truthfully I don't know. Might have to look up what replacements for each are. Not impossible its the same spring.

Comment

bit of interweb witchcraft, and i found that both the e6 and gt40s share the same replacement springs rated at 76lbs. most aftermarket options i see are rated at 130lbs and higher. which theres no point for a stock e6 head. i guess what im after is something like 100lbs? stiffer than stock but not such a dramatic increase. idk im probably being too picky..

Comment

found this.. these are literally what im looking for, but im wondering if gt40 springs fit the old heads...
                heres a snip from the page.

This version is for SBF engines running the stock hydraulic roller cam, works with the HO cam as well as other factory hyd roller cams w/ up to .450" lift using 1.6 rockers.

Clears both, stock type rockers as well as aftermarket roller rockers.

This kit will increase seat pressure by 25+% and the open pressure by 43+%

Stock seat pressure- 70-75 Lbs (valve closed)
                These springs- 100 Lbs (25+% more seat pressure)
                Stock open pressure- 210-220 Lbs
                These springs open pressure- 315 Lbs (43+% more open pressure)

This is a heavy duty kit for low lift cams specially designed to support increased RPM and idle quality when running OEM factory stock hyd roller cam.

The default version works with stock .393"/.481" tip length valves. If the exhaust valves have been changed to aftermarket valves w/ .393", select the .393"/.393" option towards the top of the page.

i keep seeing this website appear in searches. any good feedback?

https://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-g...ift-and-below/
                Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

With those springs, once you add seals and shims, it prices out the same as the Trick Flow valve spring upgrade kit #2500100 and they’re good for .540 lift. I’ve used them in ALL sorts of SBF factory heads. Get them to add in while you have the engine out, then if you get GTP or E7 heads later, just swap them over.
                  '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                  X