No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recline deleted, meaning no adjustment at all? Thats odd. My 86 Towncar was about as base model as it gets, not even having power passenger seats, and it's original seats had manual recline adjustments.

I've never seen an 8 way seat in a box at all though, so far as I know that never existed.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This week's commuting I got 18mpg! I don't think anything really changed from last week though... Which is kinda weird.

Today I've tinkered with some DIY idle air bleed restrictors to richen out the transition circuit. Seems promising so far.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I made myself a cabin air filter! I have severe pollen allergy and this summer has been awful so far. Doesn't help that the factory "filter" only keeps out particles bigger than pinecones.
        Picked up some active charcoal filter element for a whopping 7,90€ and cut a piece from it that fits under the factory mesh screen.
        Obviously this isn't completely ideal because the fresh air intake seems to be a part of the cowl water drain. I believe water is supposed to flow from under the mesh screen, water flow isn't blocked now either, but it will wet the filter element.
        Hopefully it'll filter out some of the pollen atleast, the filter element isn't particularly dense. It's on pretty tight inbetween there, so it shouldn't get sucked in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_140453.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1290396 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_142217.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1290397

Comment

If I remember right, that vent should be sealed to the cowl to keep water from going in, originally its got some closed cell foam tape around the base. If you look down the hole, you will see your recirc door at the bottom, water does get down there but not much. Heavy downpour or washing the car might overwhelm the plenum drain and you might end up with a wet carpet if water flows in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
            I made myself a cabin air filter! I have severe pollen allergy and this summer has been awful so far. Doesn't help that the factory "filter" only keeps out particles bigger than pinecones.
            Picked up some active charcoal filter element for a whopping 7,90€ and cut a piece from it that fits under the factory mesh screen.
            Obviously this isn't completely ideal because the fresh air intake seems to be a part of the cowl water drain. I believe water is supposed to flow from under the mesh screen, water flow isn't blocked now either, but it will wet the filter element.
            Hopefully it'll filter out some of the pollen atleast, the filter element isn't particularly dense. It's on pretty tight inbetween there, so it shouldn't get sucked in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58033[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]58035[/ATTACH]
            Will the filter trap water long enough to create mold/mildew which may also cause allergic reactions? I do actually like the idea assuming no other issues are created.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              If I remember right, that vent should be sealed to the cowl to keep water from going in, originally its got some closed cell foam tape around the base.
              Oh, I didn't see anything that would indicate a seal having been there. The mesh screen hasn't been off there in a longass time, if ever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_135724.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1290398 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_134844.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1290399
              There's some crapstains and tree trash at the bottom, I guess there's a small water drain somewhere there that I can't quite see.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                Will the filter trap water long enough to create mold/mildew which may also cause allergic reactions? I do actually like the idea assuming no other issues are created.
                It shouldn't be able to gather standing water, and since it's a carbon filter it should prevent mold or such from growing. From my reading, most carbon filters can handle getting damp and even washing them. Traditional car cabin filter material probably wouldn't fare well in this case.

Comment

It shouldn't be able to gather standing water, and since it's a carbon filter it should prevent mold or such from growing. From my reading, most carbon filters can handle getting damp and even washing them. Traditional car cabin filter material probably wouldn't fare well in this case.
                  Sounds reasonable but my concern was the pores of the carbon holding water and then mold forming and creating mycotoxins.

Comment

Sounds reasonable but my concern was the pores of the carbon holding water and then mold forming and creating mycotoxins.
                    Hopefully it shouldn't hold water. I did a quick read and it seems carbon filters kill mycotoxins. Dunno.

Comment

They make add-on parts for aeros and whales, but not boxes, for using a filter in that position. And yeah... my box didn't have any weatherstrip there either, but I added it. Just enough to fill the gap with some pressure. Some closed cell foam rubber because it's easy to cut to size.

If anyone else wants one of those pre-made filters, ponyrparts.com has them.
                      92-02: https://ponyrparts.com/1992-2002-cro...-kit-exterior/
                      03-11: https://ponyrparts.com/2003-2011-cro...-kit-exterior/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh, I didn't see anything that would indicate a seal having been there. The mesh screen hasn't been off there in a longass time, if ever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58036[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]58038[/ATTACH]
                        There's some crapstains and tree trash at the bottom, I guess there's a small water drain somewhere there that I can't quite see.
                        If you look down the hole under the filter you will see a small drain, the windsheild water for the most water takes a side detour towards the fender where there is a channel to drain water. If you look at the rocker by the front fender you'll see an overlap/louver looking thing which is the water exit.

Comment

Another infuriating issue arises, the left channel on the stereo drops out randomly...
                          Not sure if it goes out completely, or just goes very quiet. Sometimes it comes back by itself, most times I've switched the radio off and back on, it seems to fix it everytime.
                          A couple times I've also increased the volume by quite a bit and then back down again, maybe that fixed it too or it came back by itself.

Do I have a poor contact issue or is my head unit or amplifier going out?
                          The new door speakers I've installed should be plugged in quite firmly. Are the dash/door speakers wired in series?

Comment

Could have some oxidized switches in the head unit or a short in the wiring. If you repeatedly turn the volume unit lower and higher does it change? I would try the balance switches well and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Could have some oxidized switches in the head unit or a short in the wiring. If you repeatedly turn the volume unit lower and higher does it change? I would try the balance switches well and see if that makes a difference.
                              I've gotta play with it more to be sure(r). I don't have a balance dial on my head unit, only fader front-rear.

Comment

which radio do you have? Offhand can't think of one that has a fader but no balance.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X