PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

I'm still going through my list of everything to do for the carb swap... Does the CFI choke heater power wire work the same as with a normal carb electric choke? Or is it timed by the ECM somehow?

Also thinking about giving the engine bay a little bit of spruce up.
    How about gold valve covers and air cleaner like in the early 60's? Not really feeling the ol' Ferd Blue...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6100.thumb.PNG.c75ac0ed28117f74bba5399c560c41cf.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	57367
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Personally, I prefer the Ford Blue but if that doesn't work for you, the Gold looks spiffy!

I'd wager the choke pull-off power wire works the same way as a regular carburetor. The ECM didn't do much in '85.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

GMN Regular

Derek nailed it. The wiring for the choke pull off goes straight from a stud on the back of the alternator to the choke. Be warned, it will only work with the one stud though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

You need to know what voltage the choke heater expects. The stock system runs around 8 volts or so using the S (stator) terminal on the alternator. If the carb's choke heater wants 12v, that will cause it to either not open or take a very long time to open.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    You need to know what voltage the choke heater expects. The stock system runs around 8 volts or so using the S (stator) terminal on the alternator. If the carb's choke heater wants 12v, that will cause it to either not open or take a very long time to open.
    Hmmm. Holley says the electric choke needs 12 volts. So the Stator post is only 8v?
    Holley states:
    Connecting the choke cap to the ignition or ignition coil could result in unacceptable choke operation, poor fuel
    economy, and possible engine misfiring, since the voltage delivered to the spark plugs will be severely reduced
    by the drain imposed by the choke cap.

So I'll have to figure out another 12v source. I guess I'll repurpose the EEC relay for the fuel pump aswell as the choke.

GMN Regular

If Iím not mistaken the stator on the back of the alternator puts out ac not dc. Thatís why itís only 8v instead of 12v.

Kinda hard to make any sense of it. Holley says use switched 12 volts. On forums there's as many people screaming that the stator post works and just as many saying it doesn't...
    Main point is that the stator post's 8 volts would open the choke very slowly.

I love stuff like this, why things which should only take hours end up taking weeks. Well, if you want it done right.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I used the stator post on the Edelbrock on the Rustang. Google says it needs 12V. It works fine on stator. May have to turn the cap a notch or two lean if you have any issues, but I think it will work fine otherwise.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

colder climates may want a slower open anyhow. So there's that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Cold weather isn't really a concern, since she's just a summer cruiser. So far it's been from ~April to October.
    I don't really need a choke other than to just keep the car running for the first 30 seconds or so.

I think I'll use the factory stator stuff first, see if it works. I'm removing pretty much all of the wire looming since I'm doing the EFI delete right and proper. All the wiring will be exposed until I'm happy with how things are, so adding a wire or two for the choke heater won't too much work. I'm not doing a wiring tuck or anything, but I like a clean engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Cold weather isn't really a concern, since she's just a summer cruiser. So far it's been from ~April to October.
    I don't really need a choke other than to just keep the car running for the first 30 seconds or so.

I think I'll use the factory stator stuff first, see if it works. I'm removing pretty much all of the wire looming since I'm doing the EFI delete right and proper. All the wiring will be exposed until I'm happy with how things are, so adding a wire or two for the choke heater won't too much work. I'm not doing a wiring tuck or anything, but I like a clean engine bay.
    Yep, when done, wire looms are your best friend!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

stator is DC. No AC should be coming out of the alternator unless the diodes are bad.

all I can say is measure it and see what you get.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

GMN Regular

I could have sworn I read that a while back when I had my 85. I could definitely be mistaken.

I think only the 1G cars with the insta-clear windshield would output full, unrectified, voltage to the windshield, while not charging the battery, to clear the windshield. Those had some special circuit to disconnect the voltage regulator in the process.

As with any of this info, I might be mistaken.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I think only the 1G cars with the insta-clear windshield would output full, unrectified, voltage to the windshield, while not charging the battery, to clear the windshield. Those had some special circuit to disconnect the voltage regulator in the process.

As with any of this info, I might be mistaken.
    I think that was a Canadian option?

Default My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Instaclear was available on US cars too. I actually saw two of them in the junkyard earlier this year. One still had the instaclear windshield installed while the other one had an aftermarket non-instaclear.

If you ever find an instaclear car in the yard be sure to snag the alternator bracket. Those are very useful when doing a 3g alternator swap. They allow fitment of an 8.25 inch alternator instead of being stuck using a 7 inch. Way more clearance with the 8.25 inch.

Last edited by matth825; 01-07-2022 at 01:40 PM.

GMN Regular

Iím curious now. I did some more research, mostly mustang cfi since thereís more info, and people were saying that stator stud does put out unrectified ac.

Quote Originally Posted by matth825 View Post
    Instaclear was available on US cars too. I actually saw two of them in the junkyard earlier this year. One still had the instaclear windshield installed while the other one had an aftermarket non-instaclear.

If you ever find an instaclear car in the yard be sure to snag the alternator bracket. Those are very useful when doing a 3g alternator swap. They allow fitment of an 8.25 inch alternator instead of being stuck using a 7 inch. Way more clearance with the 8.25 inch.

Didn't they come standard with a 100 amp alternator?

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast