No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car has a jerk on deceleration. It doesn't happen at all speeds, but if I've got my foot on the gas and then lift it, the car will jerk a bit. It'll also feel a little jerky when slowing to come to a stop.

No idea what's causing it, or if it's the same sort of jerk you're feeling, but I believe the shop manual does have some trans suggestions for this issue. I'll have to look it up when I get home.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Interesting info, on my '86 MGM 5.0 when on the expressway and I stomp on the gas the entire car shudders as it goes into the "passing" gear.

Comment

Mine doesn't seem to have any other "symptoms" than the jerky/bumpy decel, and even that isn't anything really worrysome. Like I explained earlier, it feels like misfire, which it just might be.
        If I stomp on it at speed and immediately let go, it clunks, but it's only if the throttle goes open and shut quickly. That's most likely just a result quickly loading and unloading the whole powertrain.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Theres lock of mechanical action going on in an AOD. The 35-40ish mph shudder when driving steady speed is due to the mechanical overdrive engaging and disengaging constantly, theres a reason you see a lot of us tell people who buy boxes to drive in D and only shift it into OD when you get to driving at highway speed for more than a couple miles.
          Regular driving around, there is the mechanical lock up engaging/disengaging depending on speed and throttle position. It is a clunky trans. Its one of those things that if you don't have a point of reference to a similar transmission it seems all sorts of strange.

Comment

yeah the AOD is a clunky thing. Drive an AODE or 4R70w car sometime and its such a different animal despite the transmissions being very mechanically similar. The difference is the computer controlled shifting vs a massively complex hydraulic valve body that the AOD relies on.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              yeah the AOD is a clunky thing.
              Funny, because my experience with old transmissions only includes my AOD, two clapped out FMXs and a TF A904 with too much stall. And mine's way smoother than any of those.

Comment

When functioning properly, on stock valve body, they are pretty smooth and tend to burn clutches with the slip between shifts. With a shift kit, this slip is reduced a lot and shifts are firmer which extends rebuild periods well beyond the usual 100-150K miles (all things working normally). But yeah, stock with no shift kit, you shouldn't be able to really feel it working much at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Highly recommend a shift kit to anyone with an AOD...can set it at the lightest setting and have nice drive-ability and longevity. normally fixes wonky issues too assuming the rest of the tranny is in good shape.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    Highly recommend a shift kit to anyone with an AOD...can set it at the lightest setting and have nice drive-ability and longevity. normally fixes wonky issues too assuming the rest of the tranny is in good shape.
                    Hmm, I can surprisingly get a shift kit from Finland. Our go-to us parts store offers a B&M 40263 kit. Is that one any good?
                    I'm not in a hurry to do one, but considering it's only 79,90€ it might be something I'll do at some point, if having a shift kit is oh-so-nice as you folks say. TBH I quite like how the trans shifts now, smooth as glass when not giving it the beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                      Hmm, I can surprisingly get a shift kit from Finland. Our go-to us parts store offers a B&M 40263 kit. Is that one any good?
                      I'm not in a hurry to do one, but considering it's only 79,90€ it might be something I'll do at some point, if having a shift kit is oh-so-nice as you folks say. TBH I quite like how the trans shifts now, smooth as glass when not giving it the beans.
                      Haven't used any of the major kits but going by friends that have, B&M gets the worst reviews. Transgo gets mixed reviews and Baumann gets the most praise. Here is a link so see what you think?

https://www.becontrols.com/aod.shtml

P.S. They may no longer be selling full shift kits - only valve body improvement kits but you may be able to locate someone that still sells them indirectly. Please see their site for info on that point and what they still sell.
                      Last edited by friskyfrankie; 01-27-2022, 03:45 PM.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I have a baumann shift kit in my 87. I like it but it does shift hard so it can be a little scary in the rain. If you can get it in Finland I’d suggest the Shift Technologies Aod shift corrector kit. It fixes all the issues with the stock transmission and will help with longevity. I’ve called them in the past and spoke to a tech in depth, they’re great people and very knowledgeable.

https://www.monstertransmission.com/...l#.YfL8ICROm_Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                          Funny, because my experience with old transmissions only includes my AOD, two clapped out FMXs and a TF A904 with too much stall. And mine's way smoother than any of those.

The only 904 I ever drove was an absolute slushbox. That was in an 88 Dakota. never driven an FMX but the AOD is actually based on it.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My friend has a FMX in his Tempo (which is not quite ready for Talladega) so tough to tell but it seems to be smooth.

Comment

The FMX is a rear wheel drive trans. Definitely not what was in a Tempo. FMX ended production sometime in the later 70s.

unless this is an RWD converted Tempo, in which case we need to know much more about this.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                The FMX is a rear wheel drive trans. Definitely not what was in a Tempo. FMX ended production sometime in the later 70s.

unless this is an RWD converted Tempo, in which case we need to know much more about this.
                                Sorry - I misspoke. He has a ATX/FLC!

Comment

Working...
                                X