No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I spent 10 euros for peace of mind. I removed the (obviously) cast gear from the functional TFI dizzy and had a mechanic shop press the cast gear onto the new Duraspark distributor.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Is there any convenient firewall pass-through spots for wires? Other than the main grommet by the ECM.
      Just ordered an AEM wideband O2 set. We're living in the 21st century, we have technology! I don't want to read plugs on the side of the road.

Yesterday the mail brought me the carb ball studs I bought off some guy. I think I might finally have all the bits to get this thing together. Not including carb jets and such obviously.

Comment

The only convenient spot is the grommet you identified. For a large car, theres not a lot of open space. If you ever have to pull the plenum to change the heater core you got an oppertunity to add a hole, but plot that out carefully, even that can get near impossible to reach once everything is in place.

Comment

should also be one more or less below the brake booster where the vacuum line for the parking brake release went through. Might be easier to find that one from inside the car.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does it have a hood release cable? That "might" be a small opening you may be able to use.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Yeah there's 2 grommet with wires and a third for the hood release cable, I guess I'll pick and choose.

Tried to install the new distributor today, but the oil pump orientation proved to be a PITA since the new Duraspark dizzy has the older, slightly shorter shaft so the dizzy gear engages before the oil pump drive.
              I realized I can use the old TFI dizzy (gear removed) to turn the oil pump to a better orientation, but I was rudely interrupted by rain.

Started to figure out the wiring for the HEI/dizzy setup. The coil connector literally crumbled in my hands, the guide tab broke, also both the pin retainers broke when I depinned the connector. I need to crimp on new female spades for both coil pins either way.

Comment

A gearless TFI distributor is what I used last time I needed to prime one of these engines. Makes the perfect primer tool, its something I didn't care about, it fit, and there was no advance mechanism to damage.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmph.
                  Now that I got the distributor in, the timing adjustment can't do full travel without hitting my fancy HEI heatsink and bracket...
                  I guess I gotta modify the bracket or re-engineer the whole mounting tomorrow. Kinda hard as the module + heatsink is a bit of an eyesore and it still needs good airflow so the HEI module won't cook to death.

Comment

Is moving the TFI to a wheel well an option?

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                      Is moving the TFI to a wheel well an option?
                      Only option for the TFI is in the trash bin
                      I'm using a Duraspark II dizzy with the external GM HEI module. I want to have the HEI module close to the coil and dizzy for less wiring and for the heatsink to have ample airflow across it from the radiator fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                        Only option for the TFI is in the trash bin
                        I'm using a Duraspark II dizzy with the external GM HEI module. I want to have the HEI module close to the coil and dizzy for less wiring and for the heatsink to have ample airflow across it from the radiator fan.
                        Sorry, forgot you are going TFI less.

Comment

-HEI module, distributor and coil are wired. Severe discomfort in the posterior trying to fit 3 wires to a single spade connector.
                          -Fuel pump wiring is run and wired the relay. Mounted the relay on hte cruise control servo bracket. Out of the way and mostly out sight, but still pretty well accessible.

Shitty spade connectors, shitty old crimping pliers, shitty old Ford wiring with stretching insulation and a super windy day. Good times. Was going to dive into prepping for the AEM wideband, but the wind tried to close the hood twice with me underneath it. Had enough at that point. Honestly a bulky HEI dizzy might not look too bad in the engine bay, with the C H O N K Y factory air cleaner and my external HEI fabricobbling and wiring isn't the prettiest.

Does someone have a wiring diagram on the ignition switch? There's an unused larger gauge grey wire on the 6-pin connector at the cruise servo corner. Hot in RUN, but not on START. Maybe that's used for some accessory I don't have optioned or something.
                          Mainly I was wondering if I could use it as the power feed for the wideband, since it only required nominal of 1,5 amps and a peak of 3 amps. I wouldn't have to run another power wire across the engine bay.

Comment

Here is a "cutoff" diagram - not sure if there is enough detail to help!Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 GM Ignition Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1290182

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                              Here is a "cutoff" diagram - not sure if there is enough detail to help![ATTACH=CONFIG]57761[/ATTACH]
                              Yeah I have the same diagram in full, but no dice. Nothing that's comparable to what's on the connector.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                                Yeah I have the same diagram in full, but no dice. Nothing that's comparable to what's on the connector.
                                Damn! I'll continue to look around to see if anything is helpful. You do have a standard '85 GM, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X