My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    The arms really don’t go that high anyways when lifted. It has a hard stop. Pull up to that hard stop and then that little black tab has to slide up and then you can release the arm and it will hold in an lifted position.
    Slide the tab up? Perpendicular to the wiper arm?
    I'll get to checking that out tomorrow, rain has rudely interrupted this evening.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

It just goes up. Small flat head screwdriver and twist if your finger nails can’t do it.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oddly I've never done this on a box, but have on my whale. If it's basically mechanically the same as on the whale wiper arms, lift up the wiper arm (they don't lift much like Dave said), pull the tab (+1, finger nail should be able to pull it), then when you put the arm back down it will rest on the tab instead of going all the way back down against the windshield.

It's way easier to understand once you have the arm off, in my opinion. Also, it took me a few tries to get my wiper arm lined up to where I was happy with it. (Put the arm back on, run the wipers, repeat as needed. Probably because of the way I ran the wipers and keyed off mid-stroke before removing the arm, which should not be necessary but that's how I wanted to do it.) Pulls up, like Dave said, assumes you don't do it the weird way I did with the wiper not in park.

Here's a picture I grabbed from the video below. Looking at the underside of the arm I put arrows for how the tab slides back and forth.
        And a crude MS Paint diagram. The tab doesn't pull very far, and like Dave said can't pull all the way out. So once it stops, it should be as far out as it needs to be.
        Also, according to my '98 service manual no tools are required to pry the arm off. It should just pull right off once the tab is pulled.

Attached Files
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-19-2020, 03:40 PM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks, the video made it very clear. Doesn't seem that hard now either.
          I think I'll cycle the wipers, turn them off. Then I'll adjust them to where I think they should be in "park" and see how that works out at the A-pillar.
          On mine atleast, the wipers work with the hood open, but the hood actually presses agaist the wipers arms when theyre up. Not enough to impede the wipers moving but enough to scratch the hood trim and the wiper arms.
          I've jammed lifted wiper arms into hood edges by opening said hoods too many times. On my Audi the wiper arms really dug into the paint in the hood.

Comment

Fair bet its the low pressure switch on the side of the drier. Electrically is a dead simple circuit. Power comes from the control unit inside to the low pressure switch. Out of the low pressure switch to the wide open cutout relay, output from there to the clutch, then to ground. If you unplug the switch and jump it, does the compressor come on? If so and the system is charged, the switch is bad. It can be replaced without venting the system, just unscrew it quickly so the valve shuts.

If you've got enough power at the clutch to light a headlamp, the clutch is either not gapped properly or the coil is open. Ohm check across the 2 terminals will tell you if its dead or not. Clutch gap should be .020", if its too wide you can pull the front hub off and remove a shim or two to fix the gap. Also does not require discharging the system.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
              Thanks, the video made it very clear. Doesn't seem that hard now either.
              I think I'll cycle the wipers, turn them off. Then I'll adjust them to where I think they should be in "park" and see how that works out at the A-pillar.
              On mine atleast, the wipers work with the hood open, but the hood actually presses agaist the wipers arms when theyre up. Not enough to impede the wipers moving but enough to scratch the hood trim and the wiper arms.
              I've jammed lifted wiper arms into hood edges by opening said hoods too many times. On my Audi the wiper arms really dug into the paint in the hood.
              Another thing to look out for if you do it that way (run the wiper and key off on the middle somewhere) is not to get it too far off. When the wipers go to park if you have them adjusted too far down I think it could be possible that the motor will still want to keep moving to park after that wiper arm has physically traveled as far as it can go. I didn't break anything, but my first attempt put it a hair too far down. If I had adjusted it further down it probably wouldn't have been good.

Also, I figured I would pull the arm and just move it a little, but I sort of lost my exact position and had to guess. Wasn't too far off, but a little piece of tape on your windshield would help to mark your original position.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

If you have power at the compressor clutch and no clutch engagement, You can just replace the clutch and it should work then. I've had a clutch die on me as well. You will need some C-clip pliers (the kind that grab the little holes in the ends of the c-clip) I think. May just be the later ones, but I think 85 had that clutch too, or at least a similar one. Some of the other folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, all the same. Nut in the middle, pull the outer disc off, snap ring to remove the pulley, another snap ring holds the clutch coil.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Jumping the low pressure sensor didn't do anything. Ohm checking the compressor with a multimeter yielded mostly infinite resistance but sometimes it showed zero resistance, I don't know why.
                    Clutch plate and springs seem free and good, didn't check the gap though, it did work well last summer.

Added some mooore silicone to the trunk corner, next time I won't bother trying to do it clean anymore.

Finally, after a year, I bothered to get the hubcaps off, squishing and dremeling a small socket and hammering it on. One of the square nuts broke loose from the thing on the hub, oh well.
                    The other hubcaps I have are actually 14". Dang...

Comment

Wipers are now adjusted, they don't seem to hit the A-pillar anymore. They still "park" almost as high on the windshield, not that it really matters.

Comment

If I order a new AC clutch from RA, do I need to buy the shims separately?
                        I might order radiator hoses aswell, upper one has started seeping.

Comment

I think the shims sell separate but check the listing, maybe they are included with certain ones.

Comment

Shims were included with the one I ordered when I replaced the ac clutch on the Mad Marquis.

I did have to use those plus one of the old ones from the old clutch though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Atleast the listings for my vehicle don't mention anything about shims. In case I need some more or it won't come with any (unlikely, I guess), I can likely get washers in the proper thicknesses from a machine shop or so on.
                              I'll be making an order list, I've gotta play around with the window channels to see if they are the cause for the wind noise and atleast the check the condition of the rad hoses.

Just a random question without repercussions: How would the '85 bumper and bumper filler match up with '88+ Crown Vic header panel?

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                                Atleast the listings for my vehicle don't mention anything about shims. In case I need some more or it won't come with any (unlikely, I guess), I can likely get washers in the proper thicknesses from a machine shop or so on.
                                I'll be making an order list, I've gotta play around with the window channels to see if they are the cause for the wind noise and atleast the check the condition of the rad hoses.

Just a random question without repercussions: How would the '85 bumper and bumper filler match up with '88+ Crown Vic header panel?
                                Like tits on a bull! LOL!
                                89 Colony Park
                                90 Colony Park
                                70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                                X