PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

IIRC Original ball joints had fittings. Bushings did not. Idler arm used a bushings style instead of the newer greased cylinder joint style (Moog). Tie rod ends also had grease fittings. I think that changed some time in the 90s (98?) as my wife's 2000 does not have grease fittings on any of that except lower ball joints. It's still all original suspension (except for rear shocks I replaced while my in-laws still owned the car) and I have the service records to prove it. Basically if the pivot point had a ball joint, it got a grease fitting. If it had a bushing, it got torqued at ride height.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

The lock actuator came in today already, was supposed to get here on the 28th. This way for once
    None of the supplied rods were a straight fit (front right door), one with two opposite 45į bends had the lower bend at the same height as the original. I bent the first 45 to a 90 and straightened out the other a bit so it'd slip in to it's place.
    The rivet I drilled out I replaced with a nut and short bolt, some ingenuity was required to hold the actuator, the nut and install the bolt.

I didn't bother waiting for the door panel clips that are still on their way.
    Door is back together and things work again.
    Still have to install the window guides on the driver door, but I'll wait until I get the new door panel clips, since the door panel is still on and attached.

I was bored earlier today so I cleaned up the original steelies and the white stripes on the tires.
    Strong wheel cleaner and solvent on the rims and soap steel wool pads (or whatever you call them...) for the tire stripes. Works great.
    The steelies are scratched to hell from the hubcaps, but the real bummer is that they're very greyish and matte. I might spray some black paint quick and dirty on them to make them look a bit better.
    I've fallen in love with the slight beater -look, now only if the rear track width was bigger...
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

thats why I bought a big rivet gun and the proper rivets. got tired of trying to hold everything in place working blind and operating a wrench with my stupid hand.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I got the driver window working good again with the new guide bushings, no more squeaaak-thunk-thunk-thunk...

Naturally everything didn't to plan.
    The locating tab for the mirror control knob broke off immediately upon getting the locking ring to turn. Oh well, atleast the driver mirror stays in place in normal use, unlike the passenger.
    The Dorman "oem replacement" door panel retainers are complete crap. They don't fit the holes in the door at all, also it'd seem the design is way shittier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200828_123728.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	54771
    I even cut out the little casting in the middle and still can't push them in the door by hand.

Oh and by the way, the window guide bushings aren't the same in the front doors. Fortunately the one bushing that was broken, was the lower one, which is the square one. Those I had ordered.

Name:	20200828_111826.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	54772
    Square guide inside hole is about 19mm x 19mm, where the slightly more rectangular is approx. 19mm x 21mm.
    If someone has the rectangular mustang guides handy, would you kindly measure the hole size?

Everything went back together well, greased all the parts thoroughly and I cobbled together a moisture barrier from construction plastic sheet and duct tape
    Window goes up and down juuust a slight bit crooked but no more clunking.

I also cleaned up the steelies with wheel cleaner and then a quick rub with Glym's SRP.

Name:	20200827_111331.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	54773 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200827_125746.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	54774

never seen that style retainer before. The ones i've always gotten look like the original, no gap in the middle. Not sure what brand either, half the time its just what the parts store had on the shelf.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

This is the retainer that you need. Stock up for next timeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0655.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	54775

A parking light bulb burned out on the thing, instead of just replacing it, maybe I should revert to the original amber lights in the blinker housings.
    Atleast on the right side, still has a dual filament bulb in.
    A wire has been cut from the blinker socket, and routed to another bulb with an added ground.

Name:	20200901_133830.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	54778 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200901_135325.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	54779

I should be able to just reconnect the brown wire to the blinker socket to work?
    Or is there supposed to be a fourth wire to the blinker socket, I'm not sure as it's filthy.
    My '68-'88 Full size Ford Chilton manual is useless, a wiring diagram would be appreciated aswell.

3 wires to those sockets. Ground, parking/marker to the dim filament, and blinker to the bright filament.

Unless your country requires different light standards. I think England at least needs some side marker that most US cars did not have. Possible it was hacked to accommodate that but if you won't get in any trouble I'd put the thing back to stock.

We used to require this and that, hence my car has 3-point seatbelts in the back, "normal parking lights" and the ditch lights were taken off use. Not sure how the ditch lights were "eliminated", but I don't really care about getting them to work.
    Nowadays even new imports require pretty much nothing, we see new yank trucks with amber parking lights. Even some beemerbros rip out their parking lights so the car automatically uses the blinkers as parking lights...

A side marker modification was done to this car:

Name:	EDIT20200818_134052.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	54780
    That's it, just a stub screwed and epoxied to the side.

Well that was easy. Didn't even have to replace that one bulb

Name:	20200902_183748.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	54781

Yayy now I can also look like the cool kids with my amber parking lights!
    (oh yeah btw, driving with only the parking lights is illegal in finland) But I don't care and neither do the police especially when it's an old yank hunk.

surprised they didn't just put the amber lights in the ditch light as the side marker.

Ditch lights are actually useful when they work. Works better with a nice bright LED though, and of course if the reflector inside is still somewhat shiny. The Citroen design where the headlamps turned with the steering linkage is even more effective but US laws do not allow for moving lights. Also why SUV/CUV things with huge rear lamp assemblies on the hatch only light up a tiny square that is fixed on the body. Not sure what Euro models allow for but just looking at the back makes it seem like it was designed to have a much larger light area than we get here.

Funny feeling, as if the car is almost "done". Just about everything works and is to my liking...

The ditch lights are seemingly intact, somebody just ripped out the guts of the bulbs, leaving the metal base in.
    How do the lights work on these? Does it just come on with the blinker? I might just bother getting those to work too.

Also "reserved" a spot for winter storage, same place, warm and ventilated. For 60Ä /month it's a good deal here.
    I'll probably take the car in within a month or so, cruising season is about over as the nights are getting dark and cold. No reason to keep the car in the rain any longer.
    First I've got to get the Volvo roadworthy again, inspection ran out a week ago and I want to get timing set and WP done before the thing grenades spectacularly. It's a touch over 10 years old and about 80-90k KMs. And not doing that myself, nope nope nope.

I did go to the almost ancient and traditional "stadin cruising" last night. Aka Helsinki cruising. Haven't been there before. What a let down, the local and closer cruise nights are way bigger and nicer IMO.
    Though I'm not a city slicker, I really can't be arsed to go Helsinki for anything even remotely "for fun". Big city, shitty traffic and not knowing the roads makes me nervous.

Name:	20200904_201355.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	54797
    Right in the heart of Helsinki, city hall in the background.

My dad once told me if itís dark enough for parking lights, itís dark enough for headlights. He has some Norway/Sweden DNA.

I like running the parking lights and fogs on my Ranger around dusk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    My dad once told me if it’s dark enough for parking lights, it’s dark enough for headlights. He has some Norway/Sweden DNA.

I like running the parking lights and fogs on my Ranger around dusk.
    I put on parking lights cause you gotta have lights on, I use headlights always on bigger roads / when not fucking around town.
    Driving around town in the daytime, I used to just have all lights off, but now that the parking lights are amber, I'll use those. Can't forget your lights on if you never put them on

Fog lights are illegal to use as DRLs and outside of bad visibility...
    With this car, basically the only way to be "legal" all the time would be to just have headlights on constantly, but ya gotta save on those bulbs right?

Ditch lights run when the turn signals are on. It uses a pair of what are effectively blinker relays under the dash to 'bridge the gap' between the flashes.

I threw a couple bulbs in, now I've got working ditch lights.
    Boredom turns into productivity sometimes, not with schoolwork though.

Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    I threw a couple bulbs in, now I've got working ditch lights.
    Boredom turns into productivity sometimes, not with schoolwork though.

Now what?
    Sweet. Gotta love it when just tossing a bulb in place fixes things.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Well, the vent shade installation failed pretty spectacularly.

Today I ripped out the single installed piece and replaced the window channel with the WC3396 stuff. The original seal is pretty dead and brittle, but surprisingly came out again in one piece.
    Now I have pretty much the same issue as with the old seal + the vent shade. The window comes up too much outwards, it catches the seal and bunches it up. I've tried yanking on the door frame but shit, I feel like I'm gonna break it before it's good on the window. It does fit somewhat okay against the body weatherstripping.

Is there a proper way to adjust the window in-out?

Also washed the car properly, too long since the last time, I almost feel sorry.
    I can actually see out the windows well.

And the E-brake indicator decided to break, after using the e-brake for like the 9th time during my ownership.

parking brake indicator always on is typically due to the contact washer on the parking brake itself. I've had to use sandpaper to break through the oxidation on both the 88 Grand Marquis I used to have as well as the 93 Crown Vic I have now. Sanding the washer a bit along with the tabs it contacts (they are all exposed) seems to fix the issue for a good while. Last time I did that in the 93 I think was 5 years ago or so.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

There is a guide rod inside the door that will control window tilt, and I think there may also be a padded metal block at the top edge of the door for that. I'd probably loosen the bolt sticking out of the bottom of the door and try moving that first. Thats the guide rod.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast