PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

I had so many dead lines on my '85's grid it was easier to say how many good lines it had. I think I repaired seven to ten of them. Fucking kids..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I don't think I'll do anything about the rear defroster, I don't need it. Yesterday was the first time I would've needed it.
    Maybe if I'm bored one day next summer.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

fomoco panthers !

On day I caught my sister picking at the rear defroster lines many years ago. She was maybe 25-30 years old then. I yelled at her as I was driving. She said she wasn't doing anything. I said BS, I watched you do it as I looked in the rear view mirror. The defroster never worked again.

WTF? Ugh, it's bad enough when people point to shit while you're driving and touch/smear your freshly cleaned glass in the process. That's insult to injury.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	57145
    How detrimental to torque would it be slap this single plane on the stock lopo?
    I'd get it for a hundred euros, if it's not too tall. I asked the guy to measure it, since he couldn't give a part number or anything.
    It's so cheap and close by, and there's no other used SBF intakes for sale here.

Pretty damn bad, not to mention it'll have trouble idling nice and low too. Those are made for 2000 RPM +, so if you're just cruising around, you'll hate it.

I agree…you’ll hate it. Definitely stick with a dual plane low rise manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.
    The guy measured it, 145mm or 5,7 inches. No way José!
    I noticed the bolt holes are all ovaled out, I wonder what the hell it's gone through... Shaved heads?
    That's why I would've been cheap.

I also did some measuring, and came to the conclusion that I have right about zero hood clearance.
    Almost more like negative clearance, the cleaner lid has rubbed marks onto the hood insulation from moving around.

The CFI unit plus EGR spacer is approx. 114mm tall (measuring from where the air cleaner sits)
    The Holley carb and 1" phenolic spacer is right about 110mm tall, basically the same as the CFI and its spacer.

If I want to keep the factory air cleaner, the new intake can't be any taller than the factory one, which is quite unlikely
    Or I need to ditch the phenolic spacer, which would allow the intake to be an inch taller. But the spacer is a very much functional item...

Here they claim that the factory CFI intake is 4.25" tall at most.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ntake-with-EGR
    Both the Performer 289 and Weiand Street Warrior are both taller than that, possibly only by 0,5".

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

mess with the deck height enough to affect intake mating and you run into all sorts of problems. The right fix is to mill the intake so it fits, the wrong fix is to wallow out bolt holes and use a bunch of sealer to hope it works.

and single plane intakes are more of a high rpm thing, on an engine thats basically incapable of high rpm operation its a waste of time. You need the longer runners to match the low rpm operation in order to get efficient fuel charge in the motor.

mebbe this is of use

https://youtu.be/cGkHLPTWGRU
    Last edited by gadget73; 10-23-2021 at 01:17 PM.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

So, the car went to storage on the 24th, as planned. I have more strategically placed drip pans and cardboard this time and hopefully the shouldn't be leaking as much as last winter. But for sure there's going to be AFT on the floor, mostly from the PS pump and lines...

There's another used SBF intake that's popped up for sale. It's an even worse idea than the bastardised single plane: It's a Weiand Tunnel Ram! Has anyone ever done a tunnel ram on a box?
    At this rate it would seem like I might be ending up with a new Weiand Street Warrior in the springtime.

I've also ordered a few separate bits and bobs that I can't get from RA or our local US-parts.
    Like this one:

Name:	20211029_222556.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	57173
    Do you guys think it'll finally fix my FERD?
    (it's just a cheap heatsink for HEI module, happened to be genuine GM)

Does anyone happen to have one of those molded plastic center consoles that might match a canyon red interior? Or any other great alternatives for friggin' cupholders?

fomoco panthers !

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	57180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	57181

I have this. It is brand new. You may have to trim the underside to properly fit the hump. If interested, pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post

I have this. It is brand new. You may have to trim the underside to properly fit the hump. If interested, pm me.
    I was going to ask how big it is, but conveniently the barnfinds CP that WagonMan made a thread of has exactly the same console and dash
    Conclusion: too big for my taste.
    https://barnfinds.com/1985-mercury-g...ony-park-ls-4/

Can't go to hell, if I am already there. bnw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post

Do you maybe have one in another colour, or one that is in a worse state, so it needs repainting? Might use such a console for one of mine panthers...

Quote Originally Posted by bnw View Post
    Do you maybe have one in another colour, or one that is in a worse state, so it needs repainting? Might use such a console for one of mine panthers...
    Similar consoles aren't too expensive. That one happens to be older style with the cassette slots.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-SC-CH...R%2CB001OML246

fomoco panthers !

I have an old red one that has two cup holders that are only one size. Ebay has new adjustable ones for $15 and up. I can't match that price. That is the best way to go.

Had some discussion on a finnish forum about thermostats, waterpumps, heater cores and more specifically about heater core restrictors.
    I have seen those mentioned here and there on this forum aswell. That raised the question in my mind:

Should I get a heater core restrictor for mine? I'll be changing intake and heater hoses among other things in the spring.
    I'll be eliminating the broken and disabled heater core valve and the EGR cooler related T-piece and lines aswell.
    Of course it won't hurt anything, but is it really worthwhile, my heater core is original and the RPM range of my engine won't be changing at all.

My heater core failed several years ago, found out I already had a factory restrictor in place and yet it still failed. I think when it comes time to changing coolant in my cars they'll all get Evan's. Stuff doesn't expand and so maybe that'll help me get more life out of pressure sensitive items like that.

What thats really for is to reduce flow in the core at high RPM so its less likely to blow up. Won't prevent it from going bad from age or normal driving but if you spend a lot of time at 5000 rpm its a good idea.

I remember the first drive in Natehawk's 351 swapped 85 Vic. The first WOT pull the core exploded just before the 1-2 shift. It was a fairly new heater core too. It got replaced and a restrictor went in.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    What thats really for is to reduce flow in the core at high RPM so its less likely to blow up. Won't prevent it from going bad from age or normal driving but if you spend a lot of time at 5000 rpm its a good idea.

I remember the first drive in Natehawk's 351 swapped 85 Vic. The first WOT pull the core exploded just before the 1-2 shift. It was a fairly new heater core too. It got replaced and a restrictor went in.
    Well, I might do a WOT pull every now and then, but not regularly at all. Does a stock LoPo even reach 5k RPM when going WOT?

stock trans shifts about 4500 but you can manually hold first gear if you want to. No reason to, it doesn't make any power up that high.

basically its one of those things that isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't stress too much about having one. The one in my car is just a washer that I stuck to the inlet of the heater core with a dot of RTV before putting the hose on.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526