PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Oh, I didn't see anything that would indicate a seal having been there. The mesh screen hasn't been off there in a longass time, if ever.

Attachment 58036 Attachment 58038
    There's some crapstains and tree trash at the bottom, I guess there's a small water drain somewhere there that I can't quite see.
    If you look down the hole under the filter you will see a small drain, the windsheild water for the most water takes a side detour towards the fender where there is a channel to drain water. If you look at the rocker by the front fender you'll see an overlap/louver looking thing which is the water exit.

Another infuriating issue arises, the left channel on the stereo drops out randomly...
    Not sure if it goes out completely, or just goes very quiet. Sometimes it comes back by itself, most times I've switched the radio off and back on, it seems to fix it everytime.
    A couple times I've also increased the volume by quite a bit and then back down again, maybe that fixed it too or it came back by itself.

Do I have a poor contact issue or is my head unit or amplifier going out?
    The new door speakers I've installed should be plugged in quite firmly. Are the dash/door speakers wired in series?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Could have some oxidized switches in the head unit or a short in the wiring. If you repeatedly turn the volume unit lower and higher does it change? I would try the balance switches well and see if that makes a difference.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    Could have some oxidized switches in the head unit or a short in the wiring. If you repeatedly turn the volume unit lower and higher does it change? I would try the balance switches well and see if that makes a difference.
    I've gotta play with it more to be sure(r). I don't have a balance dial on my head unit, only fader front-rear.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

which radio do you have? Offhand can't think of one that has a fader but no balance.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

When I had that issue... it was the connection to the speakers. Had to clean the tabs and reconnect.

In my boxes... the head units/amps were dying. So there's that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Well the issue didn't appear this morning...
    This is the head unit I have, plus the 4-channel amp in the trunk:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220701_071843.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	58053

Bass, treble, and front to back fader, don't see other adjustments for sound.

weird, didn't realize they actually had no balance control. The other place they would sometimes hide it is you had to pull the volume knob out to get to the balance, but it would be marked on the front.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    If its slop in the joints of the wiper linkage I think you can fix that with the same kit they use for Mustangs.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/windshie...2004/p/HW1805/

if its the part where the wiper arm itself attaches thats cracked there isn't a part available for that. Someone on here drilled that whole thing apart and rebuilt it with JB Weld if I remember right.
    This isn't the best place for me to drop this info for future usefulness, but I think I've stumbled upon the Dorman cross-reference part for this: 118-306, which is part of a multi-vehicle shop tray of wiper linkage bushings, #030-203.

Compared to CJ Pony Parts part # HW1805, the Dorman option might be more accessible/available/cost effective for some people. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on it locally and verify it works for us.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-02-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

You can probably get that Mustang kit elsewhere. Mine didn't come from CJ but I couldn't honestly tell you where it did come from. If you google "fox mustang windshield wiper linkage repair" it shows up everyplace including amazon.

I finally did something for the wheels. Dunno if I like it or hate it.
    It's just normal center caps slipped onto the original wire wheel cover lockbolt thingymabobbers.
    They're too long, but to make them any shorter would require cutting the "bracket" and the center caps, which I can't be arsed to do right now at all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220720_201402.jpg   20220720_201412.jpg  

And I think the later wire wheel brackets are too short to clear the front hub unless you do the medium or big brake swap.

It does have a lot of poke, but so does that front hub, so meh. Looks better than bare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

You could always use Ranger or mercury mountaineer center caps with the correct lug nuts. P71 center caps (pancake style) won't clear the front hubs.
    First two pics are my box, I ran both ranger styles on it, and use the more busy cap1 on my 2008 now on the winter wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box.ranger cap1.jpg   box.ranger cap2..jpg   mercury mountaineer cap01.jpg   mercury mountaineer cap2.jpg   p71 cap.jpg  

Last edited by GM_Guy; 07-20-2022 at 04:55 PM.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

If you decide you don't want to stick with the Ford centers:

'98-ish Mountaineer centers will fit and look good, imo, with steel wheels. The right collared lug nuts and massaging of the dust cap on the fronts and you're good to go.

Lug nuts:

Link to The Ice Car with the above information:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post824149
    And installed on '98-'02 steel wheels on The Ice Car:
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-20-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I'll have to feel around more. Those Ranger caps on GM_guy's first pic don't look half bad, whatever that middle pic is weird...
    Mountaineer caps don't look too bad, even though I'm not a big fan of the flying M logo.

One problem with those are my spacers, they are m12x1,5 so finding correct lugnuts might prove inconvenient. Unless I bash out the m12 studs and put in new 1/2" studs, which is a pain in the ass. The current studs also stick a lot through the lugnuts.
    Would these work? https://www.nippelit.fi/1st/html/def...tmode=showprod

The same store also sells the Ranger caps, 20 a pop. https://www.nippelit.fi/1st/html/def...tmode=showprod

Not a fan myself. I like the look of just the dustcap over the rotor. I like GM-guy's idea if you must have a cover over the dustcap.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    I'll have to feel around more. Those Ranger caps on GM_guy's first pic don't look half bad, whatever that middle pic is weird...
    Mountaineer caps don't look too bad, even though I'm not a big fan of the flying M logo.

One problem with those are my spacers, they are m12x1,5 so finding correct lugnuts might prove inconvenient. Unless I bash out the m12 studs and put in new 1/2" studs, which is a pain in the ass. The current studs also stick a lot through the lugnuts.
    Would these work? https://www.nippelit.fi/1st/html/def...tmode=showprod

The same store also sells the Ranger caps, 20 a pop. https://www.nippelit.fi/1st/html/def...tmode=showprod
    Oh, the flying M wasn't used on the pre-'88 models was it? In that case it wouldn't make sense to go out of your way to get a set of Mountaineer caps since the logo wouldn't match anything on the car. The explorer caps GM_Guy posted would be more appropriate then. Same lugnuts for the Explorer caps if I'm not mistaken.

The lug nuts in the link might not work, I think the ridge/shoulder thing is too far down and possibly not wide enough so the "fingers" on the backside of the caps may not grab. The lug nuts I have in the correct style currently don't reside where I do, otherwise I would go out and grab some measurements. Specifically how far up that collar is and how wide the collar is. I suppose you could order just lug nut and see if it works with the explorer caps. If it does, you'll need 3 per wheel.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Not a fan myself. I like the look of just the dustcap over the rotor. I like GM-guy's idea if you must have a cover over the dustcap.
    If my car was a Ford, I'd probably be fine rockin' bare steelies, but on an MGM they feel slightly out of place. I have the best solution in the form of dog dish poverty caps, but I can't attach them to my wheels!
    The more I fuck around with center caps, the closer I get to what I'd spend getting another set of steelies with the proper dog dish nubs.

I might shorten the current ones, assuming they stay attached. I've got about 900km coming up this weekend.

Well, I rather like the look of those black steelies you've got going. Great contrast against the white. Dog dishes would look cool too.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Well, I rather like the look of those black steelies you've got going. Great contrast against the white. Dog dishes would look cool too.
    Yeah, but even so, the steelies require some attention to look even somewhat representable. They're super scratched from the full wheel covers, dirty beyond simple cleaning and the black factory powdercoat is immensely faded.
    For the work that these wheels "require", paying some bucks for better condition wheels wouldn't hurt much. Plus I'd get the dog dish nubs aswell.

For the dog dishes, I've got a set of good condition 1962 Ranch Wagon poverty caps, which would look freaking killer on this car. Dad has a set of Thunderbird steelies which have the dog dish nubs, but the centerbore is too small and they have new tires mounted, which would cost many moneys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200731_141744(1).jpg  

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast