No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking to buy the door striker bushings and the window guide bushings at the same time. Foxresto.com has fair prices and most importantly, seems to offer international shipping
    My pipe hunt failed miserably and the washers don't come off the striker bolts. As discovered by many others on foxbody and other forums. Though there's that one guy saying just hit it with a hammer...

So I need new strikers, I just want confirmation that the mustangs post and guard/hook style will work with my car.
    Gadget said this a while back...
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    My 86 were post-only. Later ones are the hooky kind. There might be 2 different thread sizes but I won't swear to that. Something is tickling my memories and saying I tried using a striker from something on something else and the threaded bit didn't match up. Couldn't tell you any more than that.
    I'm assuming the hook is just a visual thing. The doors or latch mechanisms wouldn't have changed right?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I've used both the hook and non-hook type on the same car. Doesn't seem to bother anything. The latch did not change so far as I know. I don't honestly know what the purpose of the hook is.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The washers DO come off, they unscrew off the threads! WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

4 window guides and 4 complete strikers ordered from CJ pony parts. The beforementioned foxresto.com wanted $75 for shipping, no thanks. CJPP did with $43.

And WagonMan, the washers don't come off on these atleast. I tried.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200722_140407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1287258

Comment

There are different type of strikers...Some come off and some do not. Why?.who the hell knows.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I got impatient waiting for the strikers, so I made a couple of temporary ones from garden hose and duct tape, hose was just slightly smaller ID than the striker bolt, so I cut a slit in it and slid it over, held in place with duct tape.
              Doors shut better, but not as well as with the proper bushings. We'll see if they last till I get the real ones from across the pond.
              The strikers are marked as "ships in 5-7 days" on CJponyparts. Order status shows that one of four ordered has been received, ordered 8 days ago. And ofcourse they won't send the window bushes separately.

Front passenger doors power lock has been uncooperative every now and then. The lock cylinder is pretty stiff with a key, and today the power lock tab on the door panel didn't even flinch when I hit the lock/unlock buttons, but does move with key. The power lock actuator is functioning.
              I'll be opening up the door again sometime soon I guess, a thorough greasing is necessary it seems.

Comment

its usually the actuator getting stiff. The rubber boot fails and it gets water inside. If its not seized you can probably pull it and get enough lube in there to save it. Maybe. I'd probably go for light oil to make sure it gets down inside and work it to make sure any rust is out of the thing. If its real bad you can pop the retaining clip off, remove the cup, try to not lose the 3 balls that sit under the cup, and then pull the rod out to get access to spray down inside the actuator.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1, actuator.
                  That's the reason on my last 3 boxes ('89, The Ice Car, The Scab) I just removed the actuators and had manual locks up front. It's really fun when they freeze in the winter due to the reason gadget mentioned.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Like I mentioned in the off topic thread, I now had to try out the dog dishes my dad had on the Tbird (originally from a '62 Ranch Wagon we had)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_141406.jpg
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1287270 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_141744.jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1287271 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200730_191730.jpg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1287272
                    Those on and a coil or two chopped off each corner and I'd be set.

I like it quite a bit, doesn't look as conflicting with the granny trim and vinyl top as I thought.
                    Those first 2 pic are just the Tbirds steelies rolled next to it, as those are almost black and have the nubs for the dog dishes. Didn't expect to have those on the MGM's steelies anyways.
                    Last pic I quickly mocked up the cap on the original steelie. I had the backing thingy / lockbolt mount off as I welded the square nut back on it.

Can't attach dog dishes on my steelies, Tbird's steelies need new tires. I guess I have to shell out money either way.

Comment

I think I want to revert back to the original style amber parking lights in the blinker housings.

How should I go about accessing the headlight wiring and bulb sockets?
                      The sealed beam housings and adjustments seem kinda crusty...
                      Could the sockets be accessed from below?
                      The other header panel I had had one wire snipped that went to the blinker sockets. Current parking lights are separate bulbs in the low beam housings, which is good as I can just unplug those.

Also my front bumper is pushed in a bit on one side. Any real strategy for getting it slid out again? These have those 5mph shock absorber things right?

Comment

There is a pinch bolt holding the “bumper shock” To the frame rails. You can loosen that and try to pull out the bumper.

I’d wager the bumper likely took a memory to the new shape and is bent too. May need to hook it up to something solid and gently drive the car away from it to pull out. Sketchy.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I didn't need to bend anything out when replacing the bumpers on my 93. I did have to put the mounts in first and then mount the bumper to them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have knocked a lot of bumper shocks out to there original positions. I have a 6" X 6" X 20" block of wood that I smack against the outer bumper edge forcing the shock out again. SLACK came to my house to buy bumper shocks and I simply knocked his back out again. Just be sure to catch the end of the bumper and not hit the fender! LOL! WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park
                            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                              I have knocked a lot of bumper shocks out to there original positions. I have a 6" X 6" X 20" block of wood that I smack against the outer bumper edge forcing the shock out again. SLACK came to my house to buy bumper shocks and I simply knocked his back out again. Just be sure to catch the end of the bumper and not hit the fender! LOL! WagonMan
                              I've done this too, on the 88 I used to have, but I use a 4 pound hammer directly on the mount plate on the bumper shock. Took about 4 hits to get it back out the inch or so it had been pushed in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                                I think I want to revert back to the original style amber parking lights in the blinker housings.

How should I go about accessing the headlight wiring and bulb sockets?
                                The sealed beam housings and adjustments seem kinda crusty...
                                Could the sockets be accessed from below?
                                The other header panel I had had one wire snipped that went to the blinker sockets. Current parking lights are separate bulbs in the low beam housings, which is good as I can just unplug those.
                                easiest way is to just remove the headlights. Pull the outer bezel then the 4 screws holding the trim ring to the bucket. The lamp will fall out and the wiring will be in your hands at that point. I don't think there is quite enough room on the Ford/Merc models to get your hand in there to unplug it.

Put some oil on the adjuster screws (which do not need to be moved in order to remove the headlamp or the bezel) before trying to adjust them. They turn into a plastic thing so its not likely stuck but if the screws are dry and dirty it makes it much more difficult to actually turn them.

Comment

Working...
                                X