My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Just don't seal things in such a way that its going to trap water and force it in the light socket hole. Originally those had some sort of gooey rubber stuff on the washers that go under the nuts. Butyl I think, its like black bubblegum.
    Correct, they used butyl. I used a tiny bead of 3M drip check on each bolt hole on my 1990 to stop trunk leaks. Bone dry ever since.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yeah the nut/washer combos had the remains of some sort of rubbery pads. Most just crumbled when loosening the nuts.
      Someone previous has siliconed the rubber seals to the taillight housings, though that doesn't seem to have worked that well. The seals are surprisingly soft still, but they seem collapsed.

Still kinda open on how do I seal all the nuts/studs, maybe I'll check if I can find thick rubber washers or the sorts. A non-stick silicone or something similar to what was there originally would be ideal.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Nice maintenance work.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I usually replace the butyl with ultrablack rtv because I keep a tube on hand. It's very effective.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Distributor came in today, TFI module should be here in a day or two.

I do have to say that the Cardone reman distributor definitely met my expectations on remanufactured parts. It's dirty and the casing has signs of wear here and there, that's all fine though.
            But the poor packaging wasn't really acceptable...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200414_184001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1286829
            I'm pretty sure this was caused by the part bonking around in the box.
            The bolt hole is quite mushed in, but it is definitely fixable.

Can't be arsed to send stuff back to the States so I'll fix it, I do want the new'ish stuff that the distributor has inside.

Comment

Arggg. Not fun when things are packaged for shipping poorly.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

BTW Is Maisa a girls name or?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  BTW Is Maisa a girls name or?
                  Yup, a somewhat common finnish name. No real story behind it, out for a beer with a few friends, it just popped in my mind. Maisa Mercury works out pretty well. I haven't named any other vehicles.

Comment

Got a brief break in the cold, hail and sleet and since it was around +7°C, I decided to go and seal the body seams.
                    I'll do whole taillight and rear assembly with better time and weather later.

Name:	20200416_164505.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1286830 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200416_164459.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1286831
                    Looks mint in the middle where I smoothed it with my finger, driver side went okay, and on the passenger side I sneezed.

As I mentioned in another thread, I got all the parts for the ignition now and I'll get to it asap.

Comment

Now you're making me want to take my taillights off my 89 to see how things look back there. Its not a salted car, but who knows...
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

It's back together now.
                        Ended up lining all the sealing points with some Sikaflex, laid a bead on every single washer/nut, 20 of them or so.
                        Mainly around the holes for the bulb sockets and on the rubber seals since those go around two holes.
                        Maybe my taillights wont have pools in them anymore.

I removed most of the old butyl on the studs, so the lights can be lined up better. Corner pieces line up better than before and the lights and center senction are slightly less crooked.

I think the seam sealer in the body seams did work well, the crapstain in the corner was drier today, I did the seam sealer last evening.

Pic for proof lol

Name:	20200417_184000.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1286833

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                          Now you're making me want to take my taillights off my 89 to see how things look back there. Its not a salted car, but who knows...
                          Yeah my car is (most likely) from inland Florida, only visible rust is the trunk corner now fixed and the door bottoms, which are mostly surface rust with the paint peeling. Rear axle is covered in fine surfrace rust and everything else underneath is either good with paint or in similar fine surface rust, all brackets and fiddly bits are good.

I don't know if you'll see much since you have a colony park.

Comment

Well well well, if it isn't me, the one who jumps right into doing things and realizing they don't fit halfway there.

Name:	20200418_112707.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1286834
                            New on the left (with the old collar) and the old in the engine.
                            I did tap the mushed bolthole in the new distributor and the collar screws on fine.

I think I need a rotor that looks like this:

Name:	12337495_Primary__ra_p.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1286835

And of course the US-parts store is closed saturday and sunday...

EDIT: The RA listing shows the correct type of distributor, with the stub on the top, greaaat.
                            Last edited by Arquemann; 04-18-2020, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I have seen those rotors and always wondered why they were listed for our applications. Guess that distributor answers my question. No idea if it will work since I have never seen one.

On the rear axle rust, at least some of these if not all came out of the factory with bare rear ends. Just like humans haha. But I guess it saved a penny and they didn’t paint the assembly. My 90 is pretty clean underneath but the axle is very rusty.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

oh the stupid rotor. I have no idea what is up with that, but it appears randomly 84-85. The distributors seem to be functionally identical, just one uses that goofy 2 screw rotor instead of the more common slip fit one.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X